Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to wander into the TPMS on the driver info screen today (between the dials), and selected Tyre Pressure Check. I was shocked to find that the pressures were all over the place, very random as each tyre was a different pressure by several psi. It shows what the 'Normal Pressure' should be and what the system says the current pressures are. On the normal setting for HSE with standard 19" wheels, the fronts should be 37psi and the rears 32psi.

I used my foot pump with built in gauge, and verified with my stand alone Precision Instruments Gauge, and these two luckily have always been in sync with each other. I got my pressure readings bang on F 37 and R 32psi. When I reentered the Tyre Pressure Check screen it showed both fronts as 41psi and both rears as 35psi, which proves my devices were consistent in measuring, but way too high on the monitoring system. As I've used my gauges for years on my vehicles (always with cold tyres, as strongly recommended) I'm inclined not to believe the TPMS readings. :?:

Has anybody got experience of this system with other LR vehicles, or tried it on their new DS? Can it's settings be calibrated by software revision? Your views would be welcome. :idea:

NOTE: It also suggests that my pressures were not checked at PDI two weeks ago. :?:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Mine were showing to be ok but after seeing what you found I will be checking mine against a gauge.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Checked mine should be 37 - 32 (19 inch wheels), TPMS showed 39-36, checked with my gauge showed 37 - 32.

Looks like my results are very similar to yours Moose.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Sounds concerning but not having mine yet I can't check anything.
Are the sensors of the direct or indirect type (maybe there's something about this in the handbook) because the accuracy levels are different.
I don't know if the latest EU requirement calls for an accurate reading to be made available or a warning of a sudden loss of pressure. I suspect the former because the loss of pressure warning would not need the system to show actual pressure levels as such.
My understanding is that conventional hand held pressure gauges can be notoriously inaccurate so direct comparisons can possibly be misleading.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chippy911
My understanding is that conventional hand held pressure gauges can be notoriously inaccurate so direct comparisons can possibly be misleading.
I've always heard the same about gauge accuracy, even at fuel stations. But the tyres should always be cold when you set pressures anyway.

However, my two independent gauges show the same pressures exactly, so I tend to trust them (over my last 3 cars) and have had good 'even' wear results. From Philn and my own results I'd say that the TPMS may be incorrectly calibrated, as in both cases the TPMS is showing much higher than the gauges.

Obviously we want tyres to be at their optimum pressures for safety and wear performance. I'll be contacting my dealer tomorrow, as I was already concerned with the odd readings I found when I first checked the system. Original findings were RF40, LF29, RR33, and LR30 - which suggested not being checked at PDI.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
That is no doubt an unacceptable variation indicating lack of checking. It'll be interesting to hear what your dealer has to say. Good luck

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Agree with Chippy911, only collected my car on Wednesday and assume tyre pressures were checked by garage on PDI but obviously TPMS not adjusted, not a big issue as more concerned with loss of pressure and wouldn't use TPMS for inflating tyres, once again it's in the detail and would be good for LR to learn this. Checking done with tyres cold.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You get it through the in car menus by pressing OK on the steering wheel.

Mines showing 37/32.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tried to find this today - the manual says that the car must be switched on but the engine must be off.
So how do we do this then to see the pressures? I'm sure that my pressures must be off too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i am also stumpted on this. it seems the pressures are in the Vehicle Set Up Menus which can only be accessed with the engine off... But then, no menus are accessible.. Maybe the dealer has to tweak something to enable access?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
If you have an automatic press stop/start without foot on brake, puts the radio etc on but doesn't start car, if a manual car press stop/start without touching brake or depressing clutch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Magic, thanks! Found it now. All are +1psi on mine from target. Will check with a proper gauge sometime to check calibration...

·
Registered
265 Posts
My initial check of tyre pressures showed them set to heavy load so i reduced the to 37/32 on my pressure gauge. a re-check on the monitoring system gave some odd reading and not what I'd set. However after a drive i checked them after gettibng home when the reading was 39/34 and then the following morning after cooling the monitor figures were spot-on, 37/32. So my conclusion is the car need to be driven to reset the TPMS.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still not impressed by TPMS calibration. I even bought a digital gauge, to check my pump gauge and hand held precision gauge, and all three read exactly the same pressures, whereas the TPMS shows 40 and 35 when they are actually 37 and 32. Driving my car after checking has no bearing on the consistently high readings, though some have said that theirs have reset after a drive. Hope it can be recalibrated by the dealer when it finally goes in for service.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Cars two and a half weeks old and I have just checked the tyre pressures against the TPMS setting and they are spot on, strange as originally the TPMS was reading 3/4 psi over on all 4 tyres, looks like for some reason it has calibrated itself - odd.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts