Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have for a many years, used the clamp on type towing mirrors on numerous Land Rovers and others with no issues, however my trip drown to Devon with the DS did not go well, as far as the mirrors went.

As normal I clamped the mirrors on tight on the top lip both sides, as by wife got in and shut the door her side fell off. I checked my side and it slid off easily. I then refitted on the bottom of the mirror which gave a firmer mount yet 20 minutes into the journey and one pot hole on a B road and the drivers mirror disappeared under the caravan, luckily with no damage.

Has any one else had any issues with clamp on mirrors ?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I remember when Evoque came out, owners had a lot of problems with towing mirrors, perhaps worth searching there forum for some info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am using the milenco aero mirrors on the bottom of mirrors I noticed small scratches on the plastic so I have put some felt pads on the milenco they tighten up better now
Just used them for 200 miles in very windy conditions no problem away at the moment so cant post any pictures

·
Registered
118 Posts
Clamped mine to the bottom of the mirrors, some Towsure ones I think.
No problems but watch where the towing mirror mounting bar is.
I had mine quite close in to the car mirrors as I find them all useless and only put them on for legal reasons, remember when the car mirrors fold when locking the car the bars can press on the doors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Moose

I think from a previous post these are the same mirrors as yours, we have towed 500/600 miles with them fitted to the bottom with no problem. I do find one clamp fits fully home and the other sits just off, but they are secure. Like Ashey I have noticed some small scratches and was going to fit some pads for our next trip out.

GPC

View attachment 25
View attachment 25

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GPC said:
Moose

I think from a previous post these are the same mirrors as yours, we have towed 500/600 miles with them fitted to the bottom with no problem. I do find one clamp fits fully home and the other sits just off, but they are secure. Like Ashey I have noticed some small scratches and was going to fit some pads for our next trip outt]
Yes they look the same, they did look to have fitted ok to start with, I also have some slight scratches where they fitted.

I am going to put a couple of strips of masking tape on the lip of the mirror next trip, hopefully this will stop the scratches and also give something for the mirror to grip on to, at least with the one I have left.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Moose
Just for info I fitted some elephant tape around the fixed part of the clamp and the fixing was much more secure, and this seems to avoid the "scratching",
I hope it will last in the rain but given the current weather I have not been able to check.

GPC

View attachment 25

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a trip last weekend and just put a masking tape strip on the mirror both on the lip inside the mirror and on the underside, this gave a much better grip to the tow mirror clamp and worked ok, it also stopped any scratching on the mirror body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.