Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chrome-Gear-Shift-Knob-Panel-Cover-Trim-For-Land-Rover-Discovery-Sport-2015-2016-/151759305818?fits=Model%3ADiscovery+Sport&hash=item23558f3c5a

Seems a pity to have spent all that money on leather and chrome and steel and what knows else and the area around the stupid gear knob is stupid cheap nasty cheap plasticy plastic. (You may get the impression I don't even like the gear-change knob - I don't - something like the finger-tip control stalk that Merc are fitting since 2015 would be much much nicer, and the whole centre console area is wasted for potential storage space for all sorts of nicknacks by the un-necessary device).

OK the fake chrome trim is also plastic, but at least it's not grey plasticy plastic. (Or is it?)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed. Let me know how you get on, if my DS ever turns up this is on the shortlist of trim upgrades I'm looking at.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's nice for what it costs. Just be careful with it and keep keys or other sharp stuff away you'll be fine. I won't say it's the best upgrade but I will say it is a lot better than the cheap plastic the car came with.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
merctony said:
Yep, that's how it's held on. But it can't be any more cheap-plastic effect than the original bit of cheap plastic. Nastiest bit of the entire car.

Maybe in due course someone will release something which covers the area with a useful storage bin with the knob still accessible. All the stuff I used to keep on the centre consol is now rattling around all over the shop.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ccomley l could not agree more with you, the area always looks like it should have buttons or switches, l did buy and fit the speaker surrounds and they fit nice and enhance the interior but when l looked at the centre cover it is a large piece of bling and l feel it could make a bad area worse, only my view
Regards
Tony

·
Registered
385 Posts
To be honest I was a bit iffy when I bought it. But when it arrived I decided to put it on and it did enhance the look. It is way better than the cheap thin oem plastic that's for sure. Besides for $35 it also serves its purpose of being a protective cover. When it's removed the black plastic underneath would remain new and Unscratched. Yea if they came up with better mod for it you bet I'd be jumping on it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Disco said:
To be honest I was a bit iffy when I bought it. But when it arrived I decided to put it on and it did enhance the look. It is way better than the cheap thin oem plastic that's for sure. Besides for $35 it also serves its purpose of being a protective cover. When it's removed the black plastic underneath would remain new and Unscratched. Yea if they came up with better mod for it you bet I'd be jumping on it.
So long as the adhesive strips on the replacement don't marr the plastic underneath. I assume if I put this on, I would be committing to always having *something* on over the factory-fit piece (or possible buying a new part from LR later at GOK what expense if needs be.)

·
Registered
385 Posts
there are products can remove the adhesive tape residue and restore the original surface...I wouldn't worry too much about it. another thought is if you hated the chrome or gets scratched up. you can have it vinyl wrapped to whatever finish you'd like.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disco said:
there are products can remove the adhesive tape residue and restore the original surface...I wouldn't worry too much about it. another thought is if you hated the chrome or gets scratched up. you can have it vinyl wrapped to whatever finish you'd like.
True.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.