Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my DS with a spare wheel and a demountable tow bar.
The dealer told me that these are not factory fit but fitted at the dealers? They ordered one and the tow bar has arrived earlier than the car (still waiting for the car).
Did anyone else have a factory fit tow bar? Is it the dealer just wanting to get payment for fitting?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Quite a few of us had factory fit bars, but if you ordered a spare then the only option is to have a dealer fit bar, you cannot have a spare and a factory fit bar on a UK spec 5+2 .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've received my car and the tow bar parts still haven't turned up! Land Rover are currently lending me a freelander when I want to tow my caravan.

Out of interest how much is the demountable dealer fit towbar? I'm supposed to be getting the fixed, but would prefer demountable.

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I have put photos of the fixed tow bar in the gallery under , expensive but in the flesh it looks really good especially with black roof.

·
Registered
567 Posts
craiggggg5 said:
I've received my car and the tow bar parts still haven't turned up! Land Rover are currently lending me a freelander when I want to tow my caravan.
I hope you got that sorted. I'm thinking of having the skinny spare with the detachable tow bar (VPLCT0148) but I cannot get a straight answer on this from dealer yet as to how it looks. Its only for occasional use (bikes) so most of time I need it to look as nice as possible.

I found this Topix fitting manual which seems to indicate there is no blanking panel to hide the mounting points (unlike say on the back of a Disco with detachable tow bar I saw in the dealer)
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=553177&parameters=highlight%3DVPLCT0148

craiggggg5 or anyone do you have pictures please of this setup with / without the tow bar on?

Also with this setup it looks like the 13 pin electrics are a different part and may cost even more on top - do you know if that is right?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Seems amazing to me that LR have not fully sorted towing issue on DS. If ever there was a vehicle that was likely to be used for towing: this is the one!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
PedroT said:
Seems amazing to me that LR have not fully sorted towing issue on DS. If ever there was a vehicle that was likely to be used for towing: this is the one!!
I agree. I wanted the spare and the tow bar and was told I couldn't have this on my 5+2 as the exhaust needed altered. A crazy situation on a new car, especially a LR!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Have a skiny spare and their is not room for the exhaust across the back or a hidden tow bracket, You get new twin exhausts and a tow bracket, regardless of if it has a removable tow ball or a bolted flange mount. this tow bar needs black bustle that protrudes our and replaces the silver valance.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
craiggggg5 said:
I've got the skinny spare wheel and could only get a dealer fitted fixed towbar at the time. I'm not sure if you can get a spare wheel and detachable towbar factory ordered?
Same on mine, only way you could get skinny spare on M15 cars was to have fixed dealer fit towbar.

·
Registered
567 Posts
OK so I've been doing digging into this as I'm close to lock down on my MY16 HSE order and want to rack bikes off the tow bar, but we also do some remote holidays / mild off road so sometimes I want a spare wheel backup... First up, above is right. If you want a skinny spare option then all the tow bars are a dealer fit only currently. For factory fit you need the tyre inflation kit only option.

Here is a link to the Topix entry with the install manual: VPLCT0148 tow bar
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=553177&parameters=highlight%3DVPLCT0148

Here is a link to the parts that are used from a 3rd party seller, with a nice overall picture:
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/40880/VPLCT0148-TOWBAR-KIT.html

Couple of issues, for me at least, are:

1. The look of it at the end without the tow bar on is messy (I will only use it occasionally). Basically you still see the tow bar socket plus the electrics stick out, even beyond the new shroud which extends from the normal bumper anyway. There is no way to cover the metal up. Some pics here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tc691gfzkuh9t1f/AABgM8ds_STphWaSw4Rbbhxxa?dl=0

2. t's also pretty expensive as the figures I got are 1,086 fitted by the dealer, plus another 128 for electrics.

Luckily I popped into my dealer just now and he had a MY16 new DS in with car WITHOUT the skinny spare and with a factory fit detachable tow bar. I think its pretty neat.

1. The tow bar socket and the electrics all tucked away under the normal back cover. See some pics of him demo'ing it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3bs7ds38n3fegb8/AADc_8jODVJG4UqlvXSD081xa?dl=0

2. The cost is a lot less, its 675 factory fitted including electrics so nearly half.

So... I think personally I'm going to go with the factory fit detachable tow bar without the skinny wheel (It also keeps the exhaust box setup neater - I guess the boxes with the skinny wheel setup are pretty niche). Then keep a separate skinny spare and stick it in boot or roof rack when I may need it most on remote holidays. Skinny spare is 15cm deep and not too heavy vs full tyre.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi, reached the same conclusion and the detachable tow bar is v. easy to fit, more so than other similar options I've used with other cars. Thanks for posting the pics, I hadn't paidmuch attention to the electrics but agree they stow away nicely too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have a detachable towbar and spare wheel. 7 seater. I had it fitted by the dealer. There are two problems LR should sort out: provide towing mirrors as no mirrors fit properly, and have a choice of roads you can take on the sat-nav. Had to tow on incredibly tight and dangerous roads in the summer as it would refuse to send me on any civilized stretch of road!!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
anesta said:
Hi, I have a detachable towbar and spare wheel. 7 seater. I had it fitted by the dealer.
Do you have any pics of what it looks like with the tow bar off please as I've not seen any? Still trying to decide and I have a week o lock down... Am I right above you can't cover it up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there, just reading this submission. I've a fix towbar fitted by the supplying dealer and am happy with the arrangement.
With regard to the SatNav, it's rubbish. Poorly implemented interface which does not allow you set a towing config on a vehicle that is intended to Tow!!!! Stopped using it and gone back to my mobile phone which does allow this. Also the DS system keeps sending me off the main roads down side loops only to return to the original road several hundreds of yards ahead! what's that about. Towing in Cornwall recently, sent us down a very narrow road, came out the other end only to find the road we were on passed by the same point. I've tried all sorts of configuration settings but nothing seems to work. Complained to dealer and Land Rover, so far nothing. Guess they are not that interested.
Safetyman.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
here the interesting bit, Witter need only cut the following, not half the bumper - Bumper Cut WxD(mm) Undertray 100 x 200

Land Rover take note.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts