Discovery Sport Forum banner

Total shut-down whilst driving

17K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Gogsy 
#1 ·
My wife was driving the car around town this week, stopped at a left turning junction (engine stop-start engaged), then prepared to pull out.

As she released the footbrake, the engine started and she turned left, pulling into the main road. The engine immediately stopped dead, showing a brief message along the lines of "engine shutdown underway....." before all the lights on the dashboard went out and the gear stick retracted into its "off" position.

Now, she was stranded across one lane of an A-Road single carriageway, blocking the traffic. It was not possible to put the car into neutral (gear knob retracted), so that bystanders could not push the car out of the way of the traffic (design flaw?).

She spend 15 mins trying to restart the car, getting out to lock and unlock the car included, before eventually it did start,

It has been with Land Rover garage now for three days, with no clear findings in the log file, so still under investigation.

Clearly this is very worrying, as it could have easily caused a crash from behind, or the side, as she stopped without warning,

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Will post updates when we hear more.....

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks - both articles lead to worry that once a car has had this problem once, especially if they don't find it in the log file, then it's hard to eliminate. Raises the question then about whether to press for refund or replacement.

#5 ·
I haven't got my DS yet but it happened to me one on my current Jag XF which runs the same software and stop/start system. If it's any consolation it was only the once and has never done it since.

#6 ·
Discoloz said:
I haven't got my DS yet but it happened to me one on my current Jag XF which runs the same software and stop/start system. If it's any consolation it was only the once and has never done it since.
Just once could easily be enough to get somebody killed though. JLR will need to sort this pretty quickly before said tragedy occurs.

G
#7 ·
I saw a new Range Rover stuck at a junction of a roundabout a couple of days ago. It was in the middle of the road clearly not able to be moved. Looks like a similar situation may have occurred.

So if you have the car in neutral, handbrake on and switch the engine off does it automatically put itself into park? May have to try it...

#8 ·
There is a bit in the manual about when/how it puts into park if left in neutral. It also says you should still be able to move the gear know if retracted. Not sure how easily, but they put it in manual.. I think that's for if it is running but knob gets stuck down.

#9 ·
ozsport said:
Discoloz said:
Just once could easily be enough to get somebody killed though. JLR will need to sort this pretty quickly before said tragedy occurs.
I agree, my car is three years old, if there is an issue why haven't JLR sorted it during this time period.

#10 ·
Funkster said:
So if you have the car in neutral, handbrake on and switch the engine off does it automatically put itself into park? May have to try it...
When we did our test drive the sales chap told us just to hold the foot brake and press the off button. The car applied the handbrake and also put the car into P and retracted the knob.

It looks like there are two separate issues at the moment

1 : Start/Stop activates but you cant wake the car up.
2: The engine shuts down for no apparent reason.

My old Audi wouldn't wake up from start/stop, scared the shit outa me but it only happened once thankfully.

#12 ·
If I switch the car off in neutral it stays in neutral does not apply the hand brake and the gear knob stays up

#13 ·
I have also had the engine stall on auto start up then everything shuts down

#15 ·
If I switch the car off in drive the gear knob rotates to park and retracts .. that was shown to me as a lazy way of switching the car off by both salesman and the LR demonstration guy when I test drove one last year

#16 ·
PaulTheWall said:
If I switch the car off in drive the gear knob rotates to park and retracts .. that was shown to me as a lazy way of switching the car off by both salesman and the LR demonstration guy when I test drove one last year
Even lazier way is to park up, foot on brake and allow the engine to stop (on stop/start). Then just unbuckle your seat belt whilst foot still on the brake. The gear knob rotates to park and the car switches off. :D

Do you know about sand mode? ;)

#17 ·
deehamps said:
PaulTheWall said:
Even lazier way is to park up, foot on brake and allow the engine to stop (on stop/start). Then just unbuckle your seat belt whilst foot still on the brake. The gear knob rotates to park and the car switches off. :D

Do you know about sand mode? ;)
Sand mode? Go on then......

#18 ·
You assume the seat belt is always buckled ... tell us about sand mode ...

#20 ·
I like sand mode ... not going to do much for the mpg though

#21 ·
Not sure if it also applies to a DS (probably does) but there is a procedure to get an auto Evoque into Neutral with the engine off, as long as the battery is ok.

1. Turn ignition on (don't start engine)
2. Press and hold brake pedal
3. While holding brake pedal pull on the shift-up lever for about 15 secs
4. Gear selector will rise up
5. Put selector in N
6. Release parking brake
7. Push car
Remember you will have no power steering or brake assist without engine running.

I believe the car also automatically drops out of neutral after 10minutes, so it's not for a long tow home.

Hope this is useful.

#22 ·
Land Rover has now instructed the dealer to replace a component called the Body Control Unit (this is the only component reporting an issue). This is a significant part of the electronics, so seems to me to be a reasonable approach.

Will be done within a couple of days.

#24 ·
That was a quick diagnosis and getting the part! Pity it was required in the first place though. I guess as a new model there will be a few teething problems.
When I bought my first XF when they were first launched there was a control problem with the gear change mechanism and an issue with the fuel flap not opening but they got these issues solved pretty quickly. Here's hoping the same speed is employed on the DS issues!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.