Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As far as I am aware, heated windshield on DS prevents proper read of toll transponder and a special placement is required to ensure proper read.
I want to make sure read accuracy is high, transponder is discrete and does not obstruct view.
I cannot get hold of external transponder (the one for license plates) from E-ZPass NY - that would be an easy option, so I only have internal type.

What are the options for toll transponder placement?

There is little to no clear info for DS out there yet, so might be a good chance for us to clarify this.
Appreciate your own experience, links and photos. Thank you

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Interesting. Am off to france next week. Plan to NOT stick it on initially but to have co-pilot hold it in (what I hope will be the right) position.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We've placed our Sanef transponder over the darkened area of glass by the rear view mirror; It had to be stuck on at an angle to get it in the correct position. The transponder worked perfectly on a recent trip through France.
Tim

·
Registered
232 Posts
Never had a problem with them on other Landys with heated screens. Is there something different about the DS?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Loopylumpy said:
Never had a problem with them on other Landys with heated screens. Is there something different about the DS?
I don't know, But you have heated screens, tinted screens, screens with radio antennae in (not the DS so far as I know but her merc does) and then all teh spots you used to put the transponder now taken up with sensors for automatic wipers, automatic headlights, traffic signal spotters, GOK what else... I'm not in a panic but I won't be peeling the backing tape of the *single use* sticky pad on mine until I've tested that where I plan ti put it, works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some research made me believe that infrared reflecting windshields (heat resist) are the ones that block the signal most.
My "Climate Comfort Package" on DS has heated windshield with metallic stripes, but not the infrared reflection, so it should not be as bad as it could be.

I found this instruction from Sanef informative and properly visualized.
It advises that transponder tag should be placed in the mottled area behind the rear window on heated windshields in order to work properly - nothing new, BUT, it also covers scenario that the area might be already fully obstructed with other equipment and sensors and in that case - their clients have reported that putting transponder behind other equipment worked.
After I read some motorists keep their transponders in the glove boxes and they work - I keen to believe that second row behind the sensor might indeed work if there is no place without sensors in the black area behind the mirror.

Equipment occupying all the mottled area?
In situations like this we have had it reported back to us by customers who have such vehicles that fixing the tag on the middle of the plastic casing of the equipment that is occupying the mottled/shaded area has been successful.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Tim, I plan to put the tag at the same place as you described.

Hello Ccomley, do you mean attach to the sunroof glass itself? If so - how would you close the cover?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I run a toll tag for the M6 and i have not had any issue with it in dark mottle area of the DS screen or the D3 beforehand

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
IronMan said:
Thanks Tim, I plan to put the tag at the same place as you described.

Hello Ccomley, do you mean attach to the sunroof glass itself? If so - how would you close the cover?
I did - but then it occurred to me you coldn't completely close the blind. I wonder if the blind would close if you just had the mounting pad but not the unit itself up there? It also occurs to me I bet the sunroof is UV-protected and stuff and that might bust up the signal. But we can experiment! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.