Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My Father-in-law has a 2016 2.0L Diesel that he has owned since new. It has done 65,000 miles and always been yearly serviced at a LR approved garage. He has had three Landrovers from the same dealership in the past 10 years.

He has a loud rattling coming from the engine and Hardwoods LR Garage have told him it's the timing chain. Apparently, metal has come off this and got into the oil and other parts and he has been quoted £7,000 for new parts or £10,000 for a new engine. My argument is, that this should NOT have happened on a 4-year-old diesel car that has only done 65,000 miles :shock: LR should be looking after him as a loyal customer, NOT charging an extortionate amount to repair a car that should not even need a repair at such a young age / low mileage.

Comments on the garage's report: ' Customer concern of timing chain becoming noisy. Confirm noise from the engine. Upon further inspection of engine and oil filter, have found engine is damaged internally as well.'

By the way, £7,000 does include the cost of 'minor' things like replacing brake pads, etc. He also needs a new exhaust - could this have been caused by metal from the timing chain damaging it?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi JoPowell ...There's a number of recent post regarding timing chains - suggest you do a search. I believe there's an issue with timing chains - most likely associated with oil dilution. I had replacements at 42K mls, which I was fortunate enough to have replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If the car has been operated and maintained in accordance per Manufacturer's instructions, which it sounds like it has, then warranty becomes somewhat irrelevant and it's down to the sales of goods act and what is considered reasonable. It is not reasonable for engine failure at 64,000 miles and 4 years. It's also pretty clear that as one of the early ingenium engines, there are likely to be teething troubles. Additional anecdotal evidence certainly helps too.

Hence LR is liable for the lions share of repair costs. That's the law, simple as that. LR know it and will normally play ball if asked, so it's down to the the service manager.

So, in simple terms, the garage service manager is a useless $!^@% and needs a rocket under his ar$e. Contrast him with the guy at Vauxhall I spoke to WRT my son in Law's car (see below), who, without prompting immediately suggested we put in a claim. But it's down to who you speak to and how competent and customer orientated they are, as I guess it's a lot of paperwork and hassle for them. Much easier to just ask the customer for a cheque.

What he should have said to your Dad is that we're putting in a goodwill claim and we'll let you know what LR say. Not, it'll cost you £7k. That's lazy and incompetent and I'd be dragging him over the coals for not doing his job and not looking after his customer.
Your Dad will have something to pay as a contribution but I'd expect no more than 30% or so. Painful but a lot less than at 100%.
I've been through a few of these such issues and when pressed, manufacturers are normally pretty compliant. They'll try to fob you off with a low offer initially but stick to your guns and it usually improves. 80% contribution is where most end up.

A couple of examples.
My Brother in law had the water ingres issue on his 5 year old XF. £1500 bill. Jaguar paid 80%.
My Son in Law had an overheat issue and head gasket failure on his 5 year old Astra. Bill was £1200. Vauxhall paid 80%.
My 4 year old Mercedes had a diff leak. Mercedes paid 100%

So, the 3 year warranty is helpful but a small part of the story.

LR have a goodwill claims department. Tell your garage to use it.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
And remember the dealer isn't Land Rover, it's like complaining to Sainsburys about the quality of your Heinz Baked Beans, so if the dealer won't get JLR involved you can by contacting Customer Services and sticking to your guns. But your contract is with the dealer (and Sainsburys) so they are liable contractually (sale of goods act, etc.).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi JoPowell
All the advice above is correct, don't let them screw you over!
REMEMBER get everything in writing and keep an accurate log about all conversations, it's your money you're protecting.
I rejected 2 x DS and had COMPLETE refunds of my outlays, it wouldn't have happened if i hadn't documented and kept a diary of everything. Don't let the JLR CRC give you the runaround put all your advice to them in writing even if it's just to confirm a conversation (repeat the conversation in your doc) get names, dates and times.
Do a search for any Technical Service Bulletins as well although I now expect that JLR don't put anything in writing anymore because it catches them out. I used their own information against them, they had nowhere to go, but they managed to delay all my claims for over 18 months. I had over 200+ pages of info in the end.
Good luck, don't let them offer anything below a complete cover for the repairs! As stated, most countries consumer laws cover you way beyond the factory warranty, especially with fair and reasonable expectations of reliability of essential systems e.g. engines, gearboxes, diffs etc. quote this stuff back to JLR and keep doing it.
In every bit of correspondence to JLR I quoted their obligations to comply with consumer laws and fair and reasonable expectations allowed under those laws.
Good luck and don't let the &*)%$#@*'s grind you down...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update you and thank you for all of your help and advice!

JLR rang my Father-in-Law yesterday to tell him that they will be putting a new engine and exhaust into the car.....at NO COST whatsoever to him! :) Just goes to show what you can achieve with a bit of perseverance! Thanks again!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Glad to hear they did the right thing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, I have the same problem, my 5 year old Disco Sport with 80k miles, timing belt broke and destroyed the engine. I have a £17k bill.
@JoPowell I would love to learn how your father in law succeeded with JLR?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've just had the same problem. I was driving on the motorway when the engine suddenly cut out. There was no warning. I'm still quite shaken up as the motorway was very busy and it's a miracle I didn't end up in a horrible accident.
It's a 2015 2L Discovery Sport with 58,000 miles on the clock. We bought it privately a few months ago. The previous owner serviced regularly with LR. It was booked in for service next week but the garage said they wouldn't have picked this up. They've confirmed it's a broken timing belt and it's caused catastrophic engine damage. They said 6-8k to source and fit a reconditioned engine.
I see that some people have managed to get LR to contribute/pay in full. I've no idea where to direct my claim or what are the key points to raise. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts