Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - since B-pillar was brought up in recent discussions, I thought I would share a new ticking noise I have been experiencing that sounds just like the B-pillar ticking rattle. The dealer thought it was the 2nd row seat so they tighten up some bolt and called it fixed, but it was never fixed.

I have been hearing this ticking noise almost the same time I started hearing the B-pillar rattle (oh wait, that is the day I bought my 2015 DS), however it was on and off most of the time and it was not that loud (well B-pillar was my primary concern at that time since it was just right next to my ear). Since the B-pillar rattle was "kind of" fixed, and the weather has been very cold in the past few weeks, this noise has now become the primary noise that catches my ears' attention. The colder, the louder.

View attachment Rear_Ticking.m4v.zip

Listen to the video I recorded, and compare to the B-pillar ticking rattle I recorded a while ago, don't they sound the same?

My previous upload of B-pillar ticking rattle:
http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1494&start=170#p22425

If anyone has ever heard of this in their DS, please let me know where the noise was actually located. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alaska said:
It might be the boot cover ticking, try driving without it.
Did you mean the rubber boot cover (part of the protection package)? The noise sounds like something solid that hits/taps something else, it's interesting if rubber causes that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alaska said:
Oh, then I guess it's not the thing that makes the ticking noise :)
I just had two of my coworkers sat on the 2nd and 3rd row seats, and they pinpointed the ticking noise is from either D-pillar or tailgate. The funny thing is that when the 3rd row seat is up, the noise is less noticeable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worriesnot said:
http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2207&hilit=squeaky+tailgate

go check the above thread. not saying it is that but worth checking it out (was the source of my ticking noise coming from the back...)
louder when it is cold and gone when it is wet?
Yes, it is louder when it is cold. When it is hot, the ticking seems to disappear (will reappear shortly if hitting bumps). I am not sure whether wet/not wet is the condition for mine.

So what is the ultimate solution for your issue? I did not see it in the thread you were referring to. Thanks!

p.s. I asked the question in that thread before, but I don't think mine is the squeaking, at least nothing happens when I press the tailgate from outside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
dshseus said:
Worriesnot said:
http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2207&hilit=squeaky+tailgate

go check the above thread. not saying it is that but worth checking it out (was the source of my ticking noise coming from the back...)
louder when it is cold and gone when it is wet?
Yes, it is louder when it is cold. When it is hot, the ticking seems to disappear (will reappear shortly if hitting bumps). I am not sure whether wet/not wet is the condition for mine.

So what is the ultimate solution for your issue? I did not see it in the thread you were referring to. Thanks!

p.s. I asked the question in that thread before, but I don't think mine is the squeaking, at least nothing happens when I press the tailgate from outside.
well, I had the ticking/clicking noise and it was related to the light clusters on the tailgate. When you touched/pushed them from the outside of the car there was a horrible squeaking noise. While driving this turns into a ticking noise inside the vehicle and sounds very similar to the noise in your sound file.
The problem was sorted at the dealer with some contact tape between the light clusters and body. The squeaking noise from outside when touching/pushing the lights is gone and inside the vehicle no more ticking/clicking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.