Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Yes the beeping and clicking at the end is something running on and stopping , but the ticking is metal cooling.
Send it to the dealer to listen to they should know what it is and what can be running in after stopping.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I gave them a call earlier but they were busy so am awaiting a call back. Will report back here with any info but I'd imagine they'll say it's difficult to diagnose from a random video (granted) so will want to see/hear it themselves at some point.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Maybe be it's a replacement for the B pillar ticking :lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
OK, here's my final effort at capturing it, from just before turning off the engine. This time I noticed it started with a constant beep which then went intermittent (again about 10hz or so) before distorting slightly and finally stopping. You can hear it better if you turn the volume up the moment the engine is stopped.

Definitely not metal cooling!

[Edit: forgot to mention the sound is VERY similar to the alarm activation beep, but lower & quieter]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
peejayk said:
OK, here's my final effort at capturing it, from just before turning off the engine. This time I noticed it started with a constant beep which then went intermittent (again about 10hz or so) before distorting slightly and finally stopping. You can hear it better if you turn the volume up the moment the engine is stopped.

Definitely not metal cooling!

[Edit: forgot to mention the sound is VERY similar to the alarm activation beep, but lower & quieter]
Yes, I think that is similar to mine. Its about to go back in because a wire has fallen off a sensor related to DEF injection, so I'll mention it
Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mine makes a similar ticking noise after switching off the engine. Interesting that you've also had the broken wires on the DEF injector as well. LRA came out to fix mine on Thursday for the same fault.

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine does that too. I stopped worrying. I keep driving. This is definitely a mechanical noise and it sounds as if it was intended by the engineers. I had a bunch of strange noises coming from the engine bay on my 1.8 TSI Passat, one of them a long stream of clicks. Apparently something to do with one of the multiple valves in the cooling system or injection. Our cars have loads of those in various places, I assume it's some sort of calibration after the ride has stopped.

In my opinion - nothing to worry about.

Chris

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes, I came to the same conclusion. Unlike the other unintended noises I hear when driving the car. :roll:

The D3 made various noises from the engine bay after switching off the engine. Usually, the EGR valves and turbo actuator taking their daily exercise to prevent them from jamming-up with all the crud that goes through them (but not if they are blanked off!).

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
They are going to have a look while its in and let me know. In the meantime I have a Range Rover Sport as a courtesy car :twisted:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice courtesy car! :-D

Finally got a service chap at my dealer to look at my video this evening. He was quite surprised by the sound but his view was that it's most likely "the EGR relay cycling repeatedly when it shouldn't".

Not having a clue what one of those I took him at his word, but having just now googled EGR the only mention I can see is EGR valve which is near the manifold, so the wrong end of the car by my reckoning!

Oh well, he didn't seem overly concerned and was happy for me to add it to the list of niggles being (hopefully!) sorted when it goes in on 27th.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not cooling metalwork!

This is what mine sounds like. Commences 5 secs after turning the engine off and lasts for 10 secs. Happens every time whether actually driven or not.

It can be heard inside and outside the car and sounds loudest from under the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update

A Land Rover technician listened to it today and is pretty sure its the Blue pump that sits under the car. Going in for replacement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a thought - if it's the AdBlue pump, then it has a purge function which activates as described in this section:

So I think it might not really be a fault, just a designed emptying of the DEF line, since it only occurs after ignition is turned off.

Chris

·
Registered
194 Posts
But I wonder why so few owners hearing it if it's as-designed?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can only assume people are used to various noises, like me, having driven a 2010 passat and a 2013 Mazda with similarly complicated systems on board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
peejayk said:
Here's another longer version when I got home this evening. The slight intensifying/clattering of it at the very end was as it was, i.e. not me re-pointing the phone/camera.
Mines essentially the same. Landrover tech said immediately that it was the DEF pump (The one that pumps the blue solution). Its going in for replacement on the 19th Sept.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well, I got my car back on Friday. Original DEF sensor fault (broken wire) fixed, complimentary oil change as it was showing a service due well before the 2 years 21k miles and a bottle of wine. Its going back in at some point as the dealer found a loose rear seat frame which has been causing a squeaking but nothing on the ticking. I'm inclined to go along with it being the AdBlue pump possibly purging. I'll keep listening for it when I next have a courtesy car as well
Apersonis - can you post if the ticking stops after you get your car back?
Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
MikeA said:
I'll keep listening for it when I next have a courtesy car as well
I had a DS courtesy car yesterday and it did the same. That doesn't mean it's right, however; the DS courtesy car I had also had a ticking driver's B Pillar and was projecting that it needed its first service after only 9k miles!

Steve

21 - 40 of 46 Posts