Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I've noticed a fairly fast ticking noise coming from the Nearside (Rear I think) of my DS after I stop. The noise continues even after I have got out of the car - Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
194 Posts
If it's like a faint beeping noise then I was going to post the same query! Lasts perhaps a minute or so? Last time I heard it it had stopped before I remembered to try to record it...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Exhaust cooling down? Or diesel cooling in the tank? (Unused diesel is recirculated from the engine and is pretty hot).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, its definitely a ticking not a beeping but it does carry on for a minute or so and its a few ticks per second.
I'll keep an ear on it and try and home in
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a HSE 150BHP TD4 model on a week long test drive from JLR and I can hear the same thing (whirry ticking sound) from the same place - I was going to ask a similar question.

Oh and I have a really squaky tailgate which is driving me bonkers.

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Fuel pump ..? Remember hot fuel is returned to the tank on these.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have this and had it on my previous car (Jaguar XF), don't think it's anything to worry about, always stops after a short period of time, possibly just all the systems shutting down. (Cars are more like a small computer now a days) :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine does same
It's a proper "click click click " like a chattering relay

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Andyrep said:
Mine does same
It's a proper "click click click " like a chattering relay
Yep, same here.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine is definitely more of a high beeping than ticking, will try to remember to record the bloody thing some time! Seems to be from n/s rear area somewhere.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Finally managed to capture a second or two of my noise this afternoon. Was ready with the camera for the end of the return journey & not a peep out of it :-/

Anyone recognise the sound?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
That's not like anything that I have heard. It almost sounds like a ring tone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Here's another longer version when I got home this evening. The slight intensifying/clattering of it at the very end was as it was, i.e. not me re-pointing the phone/camera.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
The only noise I usually hear if I'm quick out of the car is the electric hand brake applying. Could it be this activating with some issue making a strange noise?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Have to confess I don't have a clue, but the fact that no-one here (so far) has heard of it before gives me a sneaky suspicion that it's abnormal so I think I'll call it in as for all I know it could be (or an indicator for) a more serious issue.

Actually, is it feasible to email servicing at my dealers (Guy Salmon in Coventry) with a link to the Youtube vid as initial evidence?

(Goes for a rummage on Guy Salmon website...)

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
Is the ticking sound the DPF cooling down , just wondering if the noise has something to do with ending a regeneration.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
MikeA says he thinks the noise is coming from the near side rear. I can't imagine how it could be related to the DPF.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The clicking in mine is definitely metal cooling but the beeping-type sound at a constant 10hz then dead stop can't be I wouldn't have thought?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts