Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am driving the SE Si4 Petrol DS 5+2 seats in South Africa. According to the manual the fuel tank for petrol version is 70 liters. I have done now testing and that seems wrong. When I have 50km left to go with the fuel gauge already in the red region and I fill up there is only 51 tiles going in. If there was another 19 liters left in the tank it surely can drive more than 50km! When I look at the broachers they all mentioned 70 L when I purchased the car. Something must be wrong, either the specifications in the manuals or the programming and measurement.
Please advise
Gert Nieuwoudt

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Gert,

For the 16MY Discovery Sport Petrol derivative, the fuel tank capacity is 70 litres. Please note however that the distance to zero / range as indicated is a prediction of distance that the vehicle should travel on the remaining fuel depending on current fuel consumption / conditions.

If however you do feel that there appears to be a concern with the calibration, this can be investigated further by your local Land Rover approved retailer who can ensure that the sensors and calibration are correct on your vehicle.

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If this is true, can you please give me an indication of the amount of liters in the tank for 50%, 25% and 0% indication on the gauge. With my testing there should be more than 20 liters in the tank at 0% indication.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the same, 2.0 petrol, the most fuel I have put in is 56 litres with 0 miles range remaining, 14 litres is a very big reserve.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi,

As advised the vehicle is fitted with a 70 litre petrol tank. This is the total usable tank capacity, however does need to take into account certain factors and allowance as the system is designed to maintain a minimal amount of fuel in the tank rather than allow customers to reach a true empty state.

Additionally the range will vary dependant on current MPG and vehicle usage criteria.

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pete, with all repect I think we would like to differ from your statement. It looks like the guage is wrongly calibrated or there is a programing /calcution problem. I have discussd with other local owners with same issue. The local agent can not solve this issue. Can you please check with the development or manufacturing team for a solution or give me a contact who can help us.

I have other question as well which I would like to discuss with the development team regarding programming of certain features, but the above is most urgent.

Regards
Gert Nieuwoudt

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Gert,

I can appreciate your concern, however in order for a concern to be investigated it would require your Land Rover approved retailer to document the concern and carry out further investigations.

Land Rover provide technical and engineering assistance to all Land Rover approved retailers for any concerns that are raised. Your local Land Rover approved retailer would be able to provide the relevant data and communicate directly with our technical and engineering team to ensure that the concern is investigated appropriately.

If you would like any concern escalated to the appropriate customer relations team for a specific market, please do not hesitate to PM me with the following:

Full Name:
Contact No:
Contact Email:
Vehicle Reg:
VIN number:
Local Retailer:

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Pete
This is an interesting subject.
I have just fuelled for the first time my 2.2d HSE Lux auto.
The car was supplied (from the dealer) with a full tank of juice.
I drove the car for a week and got the range down to 40 miles.
I filled the tank to full, and could only mange to fill it with 55 litres.
What capacity is the tank? And how accurate are the fuel measuring devices (i.e. range, fuel economy, etc)?
Oh, and by the way, are you the same Pete (from CRC) that helped me just over 2 years ago with with an XF estate boot problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have done numerous test now and it is clearly a calibration on the fuel gauge problem. The local dealers can do nothing with this peoblem other than to prove my results. The factory needs to fix the problem. On empty there is 20 litres left in the tank!

Would like to hear from other owners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the same. 2.0 Si4 engine, 70l tank and approx. 15l not visible for the system. Waiting for the fix from LR.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Just filled my diesel up with 3 miles to empty on computer, supposed to hold 65 litres actually managed to get exactly 60 litres in, happy with the discrepancy of 5 litres.

·
Registered
163 Posts
After a healthily spirited drive on the weekends with 5-10 minutes of 0km range displaying before getting to the petrol station I still only got 57 litres in my 70 litre tank.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Seems an issue with the petrol version; my 2.2TD4 diesel range in the RR Evoque was similarly accurate to Philn's remark

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think it might affect diesel cars too.
Just filled my Disco sport today from a range of 35 miles to only be able to put 56 litres in the tank - so if the tank is 70 litres 14 litres is reserved for 35 miles, which would equate an average MPG of circa 12!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
82TLT said:
I think it might affect diesel cars too.
Just filled my Disco sport today from a range of 35 miles to only be able to put 56 litres in the tank - so if the tank is 70 litres 14 litres is reserved for 35 miles, which would equate an average MPG of circa 12!
Diesel tank is only 65 litres. The 4 litres difference you got in respect to what I got in with 3 miles on computer means that you have 4 litres to do 32 miles which is about right. Would leave you with a reserve of 5 litres which I thought was fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi Philn,
Thank you for your help - I had wrongly assumed tank capacity was 70l, not 65l.
I think I understand what you are saying; I had a further 9 litres in the tank which is split into say 4 litres of range (which equates to 35 miles and circa 38 mpg) and 5 litres of final reserve once effectively at a range of zero.
Would this make a good GCSE mathematics question?!

·
Registered
211 Posts
82TLT said:
Hi Philn,
Thank you for your help - I had wrongly assumed tank capacity was 70l, not 65l.
I think I understand what you are saying; I had a further 9 litres in the tank which is split into say 4 litres of range (which equates to 35 miles and circa 38 mpg) and 5 litres of final reserve once effectively at a range of zero.
Would this make a good GCSE mathematics question?!
Nah that's too hard for GCSE these days, try A level our first year degrees course....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to agree with everyone's responses. I have just purchased the 2015 Disco 2.0 Petrol and have the same experience. I have had the car 2 months and the most fuel I have ever put in is 51 litres. the car was bought in Saudi Arabia and all the literature i have recieved or looked up says the tank has a 70Litre capacity. This was when the gauge said I could do only an additional 20Km's.

the car is also doing 13l/100km far in excess of the 10l/100km's quoted but even so on 20 litres I should have been able to do at least another 110km's on the 20 litre reserve.

I am a 1st time LDR owner and am not happy with this situation nobody wants to acknowledge! :x

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe JLR are using VW tech to get a better official mileage from the tank but we get poorer mileage/more power but they forgot to adjust the production fuel gauge/consumption numbers to reflect correctly?

You gotta love a rumour mill.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.