Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can submit updates directly to the mapping provider navteq (rebranded as here)

From the LR navigation update FAQ (found at http://landrover.navigation.com/en_GB/LandRoverEMEA/EUR):

The map / navigation system that I purchased does not contain a road that I know it exists and I am certain I have the most recent map update available. What can I do?
Map Creator is an exclusive, easy way to inform Land Rover's map supplier HERE about changes on the roads you drive and the POI's you are interested in. Millions of people everywhere help keep HERE's maps fresh in by this method. With its user-friendly Web interface, you can pinpoint the exact location where a map change may be needed. Simply visit http://here.com/mapcreator, point, click and report changes.

They may be added to future map releases.

G

·
Knowing Navteq as I do I would bet my house they would go straight in the "delete" box, so wouldn 't waste any effort on that. I would be utterly amazed if they took the slightest notice as they seem to be one of the most ignorant, unfriendly companies I've ever dealt with.

There's only one way to deal with the Navteqs of this world - stop buying their products and put pressure on the other corporates who fit them in their cars. Eventually they will get the message.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I drove the RR Evoque for 3yrs and the map quality was very poor. Map was updated in 2013 yet even new highway stretches that were from 2010 were still missing?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These comments don't bode well.
I've found similar experience with TomTom maps. Submissions that don't actually make it.
Conversely, Google and Apple mapping respectively have fairly good update processes and I've had many accepted for my local area.
I wonder if the mapping is actually unique to the LR system? I had an old Porsche nav many years ago that I refused to pay the £100's to update from Porsche. So some enterprising fellow worked out that behind the badge the system was actually made by Siemens and that you could use an update disc from a Vauxhall Omega! And at around £50! Admittedly, I think he had to hack into the update software to force to to update a different brand of nav.

G

·
BobbyBox said:
These comments don't bode well.
I've found similar experience with TomTom maps. Submissions that don't actually make it.
Conversely, Google and Apple mapping respectively have fairly good update processes and I've had many accepted for my local area.
I wonder if the mapping is actually unique to the LR system? I had an old Porsche nav many years ago that I refused to pay the £100's to update from Porsche. So some enterprising fellow worked out that behind the badge the system was actually made by Siemens and that you could use an update disc from a Vauxhall Omega! And at around £50! Admittedly, I think he had to hack into the update software to force to to update a different brand of nav.
I had two new Citroen C5 tourers - 2009 and 2012 - both with the Navteq system - both hopelessly out of date from the off. The dealer actually gave me the 2010 disc with the 2012 car and wouldn't allow me to copy a new one - I had to apply pressure on Citroen direct to fix that one. Needless to say the dealer lost two good customers permanently for that and other failings, as both my wife and I had new cars from them - I never cease to be amazed how stupid some of these people can be.

One famous example of the Navteq was a housing development in Essex that had existed for at least 35 years, according to my customer - not on the satnav at all. Other examples were new major roads at least five years old not showing. A pretty hopeless company, unresponsive to customers and unlikely to change any time soon I suspect.

I think if you buy a LR you have to accept the situation as it is and that's a real pity as otherwise a really lovely car. LR have been badly let down by Navteq and do need to put them rapidly under the cosh if they want to protect their own reputation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.