Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who didn't order the rails and the retention kit, go back and ask for it - it's only a little more expensive "dealer fit" and it's *brilliant*.

With the cross rail in I have all the bits and bobs that used to live on the top shelf in the D2 stored neatly between the rail and the seats, they can't rattle around, the rail uses up very little space itself so still plenty of room for shoping bags, suitcases, etc.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and... I know some folk are taking out the third row seats but I don't need THAT much space, However, I did find a useful little nook formed by the gap between the top of the third row seats when stowed and the back of the row-2 seats. Just tip a r2 seat forward and there's a useful space... in my case it now holds my warning triangle and a few other useful items that tend to live in the car all the time (required in France if not here!) but are not often actually accessed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I keep all my small bits and pieces in the collapsible luggage carrier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Got a picture of the rails and retention kit?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lofi said:
Ha! Knew someone would ask. I'll snap some pix later. Meantime here's the pic from LR's website - same system in an RRS

http://accessories.landrover.com/catalog-assets/land_rover/range_rover_sport_vplws0243.jpg

The rails run fore-and-aft along the side (outboard of the R3 seats so not blocking them) and the runners can be locked in about every 2". Each runner has a strong tie-down loop, and can also be used to snap in the post of the rails. The kit also comes with a spring-loaded reel of webbing which doesn't reach right across but can be used to "hug" a bag or box to one side of the boot.

·
Registered
329 Posts
ccomley said:
Lofi said:
Ha! Knew someone would ask. I'll snap some pix later. Meantime here's the pic from LR's website - same system in an RRS

http://accessories.landrover.com/catalog-assets/land_rover/range_rover_sport_vplws0243.jpg

The rails run fore-and-aft along the side (outboard of the R3 seats so not blocking them) and the runners can be locked in about every 2". Each runner has a strong tie-down loop, and can also be used to snap in the post of the rails. The kit also comes with a spring-loaded reel of webbing which doesn't reach right across but can be used to "hug" a bag or box to one side of the boot.
Ah, now I understand how that works and what it does - never made much sense just from the pics.

Very interested in the reel of webbing as my holiday configuration will be one kid sat in one of the rear seats and the boot space to the side with a case in it. I'm wanting to secure the case so it cannot fall onto the kid in the seat. Was looking at how to do it with the standard fixing eyes but the reel of webbing sounds interesting.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ntwist said:
Thanks for that tip ccomley! Sounds really interesting. Can you give idea on pricing?
ISTR it was about £200 for the rails (no idea if that includes labour or if you can put 'em in yourself) and a bit more for the "retention kit" which is the rail and the web.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good report. Of course, the rails are longer in a DS coz you have a bigger boot!

My strap didn't seem to want to expand to the full width of the car so I assumed it was for use as in my photo - I'll revisit after seeing that and if I can't extend it full width, a Word will be Had.

·
Registered
329 Posts
would be interested to know the full length of the roll out strap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.