Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Just a quick question to see if anyone else has this.
From a previous car, when you pulled up at the traffic lights and took the car out of gear and applied the hand brake the car engine would stop until the foot applied pressure to the clutch.
With the DS, when you get to a traffic light and put your foot on the brake (automatic gearbox) the engine stops. But when you apply the park brake the engine restarts. For me I find this a bit backwards. Is this the same for others?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
That appears to be the case and appears "normal" for auto-box auto-stop-start systems. But it's bloody annoying.

Our Merc does the same BUT our merc has a "Brake-hold" function where if you give the brake pedal a sharp jab after you've come to rest, the car holds the brake on for you without you having to keep pressure on the pedal. So you just roll up to the lights, jab the pedal, then relax until the lights change. Gentle pressure on the throttle, the engine re-starts as the brakes are released and off you go.

I don't understand the logic that says if you're at the lights long enough to want to put the parking brake on to hold the car, then the engine has to be running.

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is correct the only way you can avoid the restart is to put it in neutral and then release the foot brake.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discoloz said:
This is correct the only way you can avoid the restart is to put it in neutral and then release the foot brake.
Then if you're on a hill, it'll roll. Unsmart.

G

·
I found the same situation but now use neutral and apply the handbrake. I also find that if I slow down gradually on the brakes and either let the car creep forward or stop it with minimal pressure on the brake, the engine doesn't stop. Good for short stops when you can see that traffic is starting to move.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ccomley said:
Discoloz said:
Then if you're on a hill, it'll roll. Unsmart.
Not if you put the handbrake on first which is what the originally poster said he was doing ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Funkster said:
I found the same situation but now use neutral and apply the handbrake. I also find that if I slow down gradually on the brakes and either let the car creep forward or stop it with minimal pressure on the brake, the engine doesn't stop. Good for short stops when you can see that traffic is starting to move.
Also if you're stationary with vehicle is stopped you can slightly decrease pressure on the brake pedal and it will restart - good for when you can see you'll need a quick start. The brakes do not have to be completely disengaged for stop start to restart the car - at least that's how mine works and I like it like that.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had a BMW that you could press the handbrake on and then take your foot off the brake and the car held itself until you touched the throttle and off you went. If like me you hate the car in front to sit with its brake lights on at a junction/traffice lights then you can do the this: car auto switches off and with your foot on the brakes turn the gearlever to P and take your foot off the brake - engine will remain off until the car decides it needs to come back on (and you are not keeping pressure on the brake vacuum meaning less need for the engine to come back on. When you put your foot on the brake to switch back to D then engine won't start until you release pressure from the brake pedal in the normal way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
rtdf said:
The BMW park hold I had kept the rear brakelights on whilst the system had the car stopped. Found the brakehold very useful though, would have been nice to have had on the DS!
It does have brake hold, but not with stop start......

If you pull up and apply the handbrake, yes the engine stays running, but you can then press the accelerator and the car disengages the handbrake and pulls off, I too had a BMW (without start stop) and this is the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE somebody find a way of permanently disabling this very annoying "benefit". I'm sure under the urban cycle consumption and emissions test it is very effective, but it annoys me intensely!!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Hi Graham, couldn't agree more, spoke to dealer a few weeks ago and they say there is no way of disabling, I press the OFF button every time I get in the car. In my opinion it is dangerous because it cuts in too quickly at roundabouts etc, if it had a delay of say 3 seconds it would be fine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I automatically turn it off as part of starting the car now .

·
Registered
741 Posts
Graham said:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE somebody find a way of permanently disabling this very annoying "benefit". I'm sure under the urban cycle consumption and emissions test it is very effective, but it annoys me intensely!!
http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/disabling-eco-stop-start-safely_topic7516.html#90362

knock yourself out. Personally I just ease the pressure marginally on the brake and it starts, or if at a known tricky junction just hit the off switch. each to their own...

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
BFGDSMan don't think DS works the same way, certainly no secondary battery you can see, asked dealer about this and he said can't be done, you do get used to turning it off, worst scenario is that you forget and it kicks in once before pressing the button.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
There must be a way, we know the system does not work if the engine is cold, the weather is too cold or the battery level is low. That's 3 inputs to play with, has anyone looked at the wiring diagrams to see which module controls it?

I am not up to knowing how to disable it, but I think I know a man who can.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Understand where you are coming from Moose but even when my car hasn't been driven for a long time stop/start still cuts in at a junction about 300 metres from where I live, engine is certainly cold at this point.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
ME, I'm getting used to it. We had it in her car before last - a mini - that was a manual so you had to put it in neutral and let the clutch pedal off to trigger it, and it re-starts when you put the clutch down again to go back into gear. Fine.

Her current car is a Merc SLK. This is auto, so much the same as the DS. The big difference is, the Merc has a "brake-hold" mode - if once you've come to rest you give the brake pedal an extra jab, the system holds the brakes on FOR you and the Autostop cuts in at that point. I must admit, if I'm likely to stop at a roundabout, say, but I can see it's only going to be a few seconds, I disable the system. It's an easy button jab on the merc, right in front of where my finger sits when resting on the shift lever, which it habitually does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.