Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the thought of my car turning off it's engine every time I stop at a traffic light. I have read the appropriate page in the drivers handbook on Topix in which it says you can disable the stop start with a button on the dash, but it will be re-engaged for the next ignition cycle. In other words every time I go out I will have to remember to disable the stop-start!
Does anyone know if it can be permanently disabled via the set up program on the steering wheel? Or perhaps the dealer can disable it?

·
Registered
677 Posts
It can't be disabled from in car menus, and I don't think the dealer would be to happy to do it. It may be best to seek out a good independent who can change the cars software.

I assume its the auto you've went for?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have ordered an auto, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to cancel the stop-start permanently but I will ask the dealer if he can do it, I guess however that he won't want to as the stop-start is part of the system which improves economy (on the urban cycle!)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have stop/start on one of my cars and thought I'd hate it but to be honest it works well and when I drive my other cars that don't have it they seem a bit antiquated as I sit there at the lights with the engine running. I rarely turn it off.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Problem is, if it were possible to permanently disable the resulting hit on CO2 would increase several grams for road tax or BIK.

I also dislike, however hitting the off button will become second nature given time - that or (whisper it) you'll get used to it

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think it will depend upon your journey length, my Seat has it fitted and it does not operate until I have done a 5 miles and them cancels itself this time of year with the lights and wipers on.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Easy to deselect with a touch of button, no biggie really.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I started to like stop start :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
There was a push to take out the ability to turn off TSS especially in the North America markets. It has to be fitted to meet the increasingly hard EU emissions regulations, EU6c is a bugger to meet.
I'm afraid very soon there won't be a car available in Europe and large areas of the rest of the world without TSS (yes, even China has Beiging 6 emissions on the horizon)
I'm afraid it's hard coded into the software, you can turn it off but it will always default to TSS next start up. No dealer can change that.mpersonally I don't gave an issue with it, it saves running the engine whilst in a queue and allows very quick restarts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've currently got a Jag XF with the same stop start system, it took a few days to get use to it but after a time it becomes routine and you don't even notice it. In fact due to the recent cold temperatures it hasn't kicked in so often and you actually miss it ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
What if you pull up to a junction, place the rotary switch in neutral and apply the epb, will the engine still turn itself off when it's in Eco mode?

·
Registered
381 Posts
On my Jag if you put it into neutral and apply the epb then the engine remains off. I tried this on my test drive in the Discovery Sport and again the engine remained off but lots of warnings started going off, I think these were from the parking sensors which seems a little odd, maybe the dealer can disable the sensors when the rotary switch is in neutral?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Is there a 2 stage process on the TSS? My Macan in SS, would keep running with a lightly depressed brake pedal (enough to remain stationary). With a harder press SS would kick in, giving you flexibility.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Triple7 said:
Is there a 2 stage process on the TSS? My Macan in SS, would keep running with a lightly depressed brake pedal (enough to remain stationary). With a harder press SS would kick in, giving you flexibility.
With a little practice you can do that with the XF, as you say a light press of the brake to stop the car from creaping forward doesn't activate the stop start.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts