Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to hear how this operates on your car.
HSE 9-speed auto box.

1) When I brake to a standstill, the engine Stops - correct.
2) If I then apply the handbrake and release the foot brake the engine Starts - surely this is incorrect.
3) If I then put into Park the engine carries on.
4) If I brake to a standstill the engine Stops. If I then put into Park the engine stays Stopped. If I then release the foot brake the engine stays stopped.

Surely (2) is incorrect - if I apply the handbrake, the engine should stop.

Please give me your report as I have booked my car in to get this resolved as it seems to me that it's not working properly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've no idea as I've not got the car or read that bit of the manual but of other cars I've used with stop start I'd say the only thing I find odd is (4) as I'd expect the engine to restart any time you take your foot off the brake. If it stays off as in (4) then I'd say that's ok also. So to me it sounds like it's operating how I'd expect.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've read the manual for you. What you describe is as per the manual. The handbrake has no influence on the operation of stop-start at all, lots of other thinks do including whether you;ve got your seat belt fastened, but not the handbrake

·
Registered
381 Posts
Number 2 is correct it is not a fault even with the handbrake on the engine will restart.

To get around this I do this: stop, keep foot on brake, engine cuts out, handbrake on and into Neutral, release foot brake, engine will stay off. When you anticipate moving off foot on brake, into drive, release foot brake, engine starts, drive away, handbrake will auto release.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However ...

Thanks for that - but the manual States:
INTELLIGENT STOP/START
The Intelligent stop/start system is designed to improve fuel efficiency and is automatically activated when the ignition is turned on. Unless it is required to support other vehicle systems, the engine will turn off if the vehicle is stopped,for example, at traffic lights. When the brakepedal is released and a drive gear is selected, the engine will restart automatically.
So to my untrained eye, when the handbrake is applied the car is no longer in gear as the handbrake has been applied and the car gears are effectively disengaged.

To activate an automatic engine restart:
Release the brake pedal with Drive (D) orSport (S) selected.
For manual transmissions, neutral must also be selected and the clutchpedal fully released
This is an automatic however - so at this stage I've not selected a gear - the handbrake is on.

Ok it may be that my interpretation is flawed, but at this stage:
The car is stopped and the handbrake has been applied, thereby allowing the footbrake to be released. It's more dangerous to actively hold the car with the footbrake depressed, I've been a good lad and applied the handbrake, just not popped it into PARK yet.

How do other cars operate? Mentioned this at work today to a Beamer driver and he was pretty dismayed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
You are correct in your thinking Crabby. My Porsche would stop the engine after stopping AND setting the park brake and would restart on pressing the accelerator. Appears maybe LR think different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
On an auto box the car remains in gear all the time it is in Drive or Sports mode hence it will crawl if the brake isn't applied, that's why you have to take it out of gear by selecting Neutral or Park for the stop start to remain off.

This was discussed endlessly on the XF forum I am a member off when it was introduced on the XF some three years ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pity there is no changing the default position of this damn switch. The only way you can neutralize it temporarily is to start the engine then press the (intelligent ) :lol: stop start button. You may drive around happily after that until you stop the engine.... then it resets itself... :evil:

·
Registered
179 Posts
srdsol said:
Please tell me there's a switch on the dash to turn this start stop thing off ?! :(
There's a switch on the dash to turn this start stop thing off!

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's not the ECO button it's the one to the left of it, it's an "a" with a curved arrow over the top

·
Registered
329 Posts
srdsol said:
Please tell me there's a switch on the dash to turn this start stop thing off ?! :(
Why would you want to?

If you've not had a car with start stop before I can understand that you may think you'll want to turn it off, and there are occasions when turning it off is helpful, but having had a car with stop start for a while when I drive one of my other cars without it and they sit there with the engine running it just seems so antiquated. Why run the engine when you don't need it. Its like leaving the lights on in an empty room or running the central heating when you're out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Lofi said:
srdsol said:
Why would you want to?

If you've not had a car with start stop before I can understand that you may think you'll want to turn it off, and there are occasions when turning it off is helpful, but having had a car with stop start for a while when I drive one of my other cars without it and they sit there with the engine running it just seems so antiquated. Why run the engine when you don't need it. Its like leaving the lights on in an empty room or running the central heating when you're out.
Call me old fashioned, but when I start a stone cold car, I'd prefer it to get to operating temperature before it starts shutting itself off all the time.

In addition on my previous car, depressing the brake lightly keeping the vehicle from moving didn't kick in the start-stop, only when pressing more firmly. LR catch up!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Hi Triple 7

Not received my DS yet (hopefully very soon) , on my CRV the stop start doesn't cut in until the engine has reached operating temperature, would like to believe that the same applies to the DS.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Surely it must place extra wear and tear on the starter motor ? Will I save enough in fuel to cover the cost of an early replacement ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.