Discovery Sport Forum banner

Squeaky tailgate

31K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  Canuk 
#1 ·
While driving I'm getting a very annoying noise from the back...it sounds like something is rubbing against something.
Upon further inspection I noticed that when I press on the tailgate from the outside, above the light it makes an awful squeaky noise.
I have a scheduled appointment on the 14th....... we'll see.

Anybody encountered the same problem?

#3 ·
The same here, squeaky noise when moving tailgate and pressing the left part, put some warm water over it and stopped for the moment..if it comes again i'll book it in to the dealer.

#4 ·
Yes had this also, dealer removed rear light clusters, put in some lining tape on the contact surfaces, it has been perfect for 4000 miles since.

#7 ·
I've had the same thing. Went in 10 days ago and had the contact tape fitted. Done 500 miles since, and the noise has now returned......round 2 at the dealers here I come!

#10 ·
It is interesting to read of an annoying squeak that appears to be coming from the tailgate. I absolutely love my LR discovery sport and cannot fault it other than this annoying squeak from behind me whilst driving. I have been unable to pinpoint where it is coming from, so not sure if it is the tailgate or not. Considering that I have only done about 700 miles since I purchased it new a few weeks ago, it has been there from the beginning. To try and identify where it is coming from, I have removed the Boot space cover, removed the polystyrene block with the jack and tools incorporated, even placing a piece of cloth between the jack body and the handle (metal to metal).I have tried lubricating the seal on the tailgate and noticed a bit of play on the small balljoint (top nearside) on the tailgate strut. Added oil to fill the gap, but to no avail.
I spoke to the Bodyshop Manager at my Dealer in Perth, who said he would pass this on the the Customer Relations Manager, who would contact me and make arrangements for the car to be returned for inspection. Never heard from him after this point.

Perhaps I will take it up with them after the new year, when I can afford the time.

#12 ·
I have the same issue, it's on the right hand side for me though.
It seems as though the tailgate is slightly twisted to me as there's no play on the left hand side if pressed but quite a bit of movement (and a squeak) on the right hand side. It even makes an audible squeak from outside when the rear door is shut.

#16 ·
Mine is getting worse........but is slightly better in wet conditions and also after opening / closing.

As per some of the other posts above, it is very noticeable when you push on the tailgate just above the light cluster. Mine squeaks much more on one side than the other, and I reckon the whole tailgate is probably slightly warped.

Booked in next month for its 2nd trip back to the dealers!

#17 ·
Prior to taking my car back to the Dealer today, I tried pushing the tailgate just above the RHS light cluster.The squeaking noise was really bad. Hadn't noticed this before. I thought I had found the problem. When I arrived at the garage, I demonstrated this squeaking to the Technician. Car booked in for 5th January 2016 (2 days) to fix. On my 30 mile journey home, encountered a lot of squeaking over minor road imperfections. The same noise but quieter and shorter than the external pushing action. When I got home I had a closer look. On the nearside rear lamp (using my Feeler gauges) there is just under one millimetre clearance between the top of the plastic lense and the tailgate body. On the RHS, there is no clearance at all with the plastic lense hard up against the metal tailgate. The light fitting is sitting too high, the whole fitting needs dropping about one millimetre.To get proper access to the light fitting, the tailgate plastic covering needs removing. More than I was prepared to do, so will leave it for the Dealer. I even tried putting some oil on where the one millimetre gap should be, but this didn't really help. At this stage I am not fully convinced that this is the squeak that I hear when I am driving the car, only time will tell. However the RHS light fitting has been poorly fitted at the factory and does need adjustment to clear this particular squeak which is really loud when pushing the tailgate manually.

#19 ·
Middle row seat squeaking on mine was the outer plastic hinge covers .... wedge some cloths between the covers and the body and test drive ... i removed mine and fitted with adhesive foam trim ....

#23 ·
I have a squeak on my car from the Rear light cluster. Each Light has two halves, one half fitted to the rear wing and the other half fitted to the tailgate.
It is the half fitted to the tailgate that is causing the squeaking. In my case, the light fitting on the tailgate is fitted too high up and is rubbing on the tailgate. There is no clearance between the top of the light and the tailgate itself. It needs the light loosened off from the inside of the tailgate and repositioned lower so that it does not rub on the tailgate. No need for tape.
The light on the other side has just under one millimetre clearance, and does not squeak.

I have another squeak that is prominent from within the car. I think I have found the cause, so I will wait a few more days to confirm this before I publish it. I have now went two full days without any squeaking. fingers crossed!
Jeff

#24 ·
jeff said:
I have another squeak that is prominent from within the car. I think I have found the cause, so I will wait a few more days to confirm this before I publish it. I have now went two full days without any squeaking. fingers crossed!
Jeff
Hi jeff - would you mind sharing the information for the other squeak within the car you mentioned? I have a ticking squeak/rattle in the boot/trunk area, and I have not been able to pinpoint the exact location yet. All I know is that it is coming from the rear passenger area between C and D pillars.

#25 ·
You will see from my previous posts, the trail to try and identify the squeaking noise coming from behind whilst driving my Land rover Discovery Sport.
The most prominent squeak(from the outside) was the rear light cluster fitted to the tailgate.However, as stated previously, I was not convinced that this was the squeaking I was hearing whilst driving.
I returned my car to my Dealer in Perth and was accompanied by a Technician who also confirmed the squeaking from the tailgate light.My car is booked in again to correct this fault in early January 2016.

On the 30 mile journey back home, the squeaking noise was now almost permanent and driving me mad with anger. I convinced myself that the benefit of this increased noise would now make it easier to find. (when either myself or the technician on my return visit was sitting in the back)

Later that day, I had to collect my two grandchildren from nursery which meant I had to fit the two child seats, which rattled and squeaked independently. After removing them about 1 hour later, I noticed that my original squeaking had gone.

I have now went for 3-4 days without a single squeak and have come to the conclusion that the squeaking was coming from the Plastic Covers that clip on to the ISO FIX fittings where the child seats are secured to in the second row.
There is no other possible explanation. Nothing else was done.

Whilst I am absolutely delighted that by pure chance, this issue has now been addressed, I am now driving my car around with total pleasure and no distractions and loving it.

Sincerely hope that this helps others in a similar situation.

My car will still be going back in January to get the rear light dropped by about one millimetre.

Landrover need to address the issue with the rear light clearance on the production line, as this is a common problem which is costing them a lot of money and disgruntled customers.

#26 ·
Hello
I had a squeak in the rear, it turned out to be under the rear seat, there is white sponge direct on metal bracket , by releasing the clips (bugger to get back) and putting fabric between them it has been cured.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.