Discovery Sport Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
geonic said:
So yesterday was the day to banish the squeaky mouse from the tailgate. Perhaps my description can help if you want to do this on your own rather then spending time at the dealership.
Good post, thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just wanted to report that my fix didn´t last long and the squeak is back. The gap is closed again and the light cluster is again rubbing against the tailgate :(

The DS has an appointment at the dealers this week, I will see what their solution is. When I told them, it seemed to me like they knew at once what I was talking about ...

Regards
Nic

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same as geonic's post, my squeaky tailgate has now returned. Also the tailgate intermittently fails to open / close.

I am now losing confidence in LR sorting this, and considering my options.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jan said:
Another strange noise........
The powered tailgate on my DS has gone from "sighing" to loudly groaning every time it is opened or closed. The sound is similar to an early Hammer Horror creaking door. I haven't noticed any squeaks or rattles when driving.
The noise seems to come from the left strut which also vibrates during closing/opening. The vibration acn be felt rather than seen.
Any one else had a similar problem?
:)

Yes, this is part of the 'DS Squeak' ....as the tailgate opens I would imagine that the struts move at slightly different times, stressing the tailgate, causing the light clusters to squeak.

Mine appears to be coming from the boot trim as opposed to the lights....so back to the stealer we go for round two !

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I posted in another thread about this - I have the same problem...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4WhfoVpHr2CZTIzRnhBUGZON28

It has been back in 3 times now for this. Last two times they have fitted a 'squeak pack', but this is clearly a temporary fix as both times it has done the job for a few weeks and then the squeek is back. I also have a few other squeeks / rattles from other parts of the car. Given the cracked panoramic roof issues I've had as well I've pretty much had enough of this car.

Such a shame given in theory it is a great car. Nice looking / practical....

Sprower said:
Hi Jeff,

Go to rear of the car, and push hard on the tailgate just above the light cluster....try both sides and see if it squeaks. Mine was awful and took 2 attempts to fix.

I've got a video....can't upload on here but link below.....

S.

·
Registered
292 Posts
After the right rear light cluster was liberated from that annoying squeak by LR, a new one has started, right next to the same light cluster :x :x :x
@geonic, I used your picture to indicate my new tailgate squeak. Thanks :)

when I push gentle on that plastic bar, it says squeak squeak squeak :geek: :geek: .... I really start to question the build of the DS.
Seems some parts are really badly assembled / bad designed.

Anyway, new appointment with LR scheduled......

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had mine at the dealership to have the squeak cured by professional hands. Lasted for less than 500km, now it´s back again.
So I had the light cluster off again, removed the black gum glue something the dealer had applied to hold the rubber dampers in place and applied some additional rubber dampers used for furniture doors to hold the light cluster in place and away from the tailgate door. It´s now silenced again, let´s see for how long :?

@pietbanan: funny, now that the light cluster is silenced, i have the next squeak exactly as yours in the moulding right next to the light cluster.
So you indicated the new squeak in my car´s picture. Let´s hope it´s not some voodoo magic going on here :lol:

Regards
Nic

·
Registered
292 Posts
I am really not amused about these 'professional' hands of LR. As geonic mentioned, it requires some additional dampers to fix the issue permanently. I am sure they only glued these pitful original dampers. I have empathized them to check also the other light cluster to avoid I keep on making appointments for repairs.
New issue: the list of gps addresses gets blank on a regular basis. Meaning I need to enter my home address every 2 weeks and recent destinations list gets blanked. Quite annoying when you notice it while driving. They proposed an upgrade of the sat nav, including the most recent maps, which costs about 650 EUR. It took me 30 seconds of male A negotiation to wipe out that ridiculous proposal :)

@geonic - as it was educated by my parents not to harm humans in any way, and I always try to respect that (unless they are utterly a**h****) no bad voodoo was done on your picture.

G

·
@pietbanaan, I didn't have a squeak from the light cluster but I have had a squeak from the black trim strip containing the camera (http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3377). LR replaced the strip and also dealt with a bulletin on the light cluster just in case. The black trim is now on much tighter and seems OK after 300 miles, although I think I may have heard it again yesterday unless mind playing tricks on me...road testing again this week.

·
Registered
149 Posts
pietbanaan said:
I am really not amused about these 'professional' hands of LR. As geonic mentioned, it requires some additional dampers to fix the issue permanently. I am sure they only glued these pitful original dampers...
I´m also not amused about that 'professional'. Indeed they just tried to glue those original rubber pads in place.

I now used some additional rubber pads to ensure that the plastic light cluster stays in place and does not again touch the tailgate.
But we will have to see if this is sufficient to fix it permanently. Will report back after some 100 miles if it stayed that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
geonic said:
So yesterday was the day to banish the squeaky mouse from the tailgate. Perhaps my description can help if you want to do this on your own rather then spending time at the dealership.

As some already described, I also noticed the uneven gap between the light cluster and the tailgate resulting in no gap at all on the inner side of the light:
View attachment 2529 This is where the squeak originates!

Dismounting the light cluster is not too complicated. I removed the small cover on the inner tailgate cover and unplugged the cables, removed the only nut and unhooked the plastic clip holding the light cluster in place:
View attachment 2531

After the light was removed, I noticed that the plastic of the light already scrubbed some of the paintwork away:
View attachment 2532 I gave that area a polish.

Lowering the light cluster a little bit could already be sufficient, but after removing it, I instantly saw the reason:
View attachment 2534

Spot the difference!
View attachment 2535 The rubber damper had slipped from its original place. So I just had to stick it back.

After putting everything back together, the result is a constant gap:
View attachment 2536
And the squeak is gone, too! :D

Hope, my English is understandable, I struggled a bit to find words for some technical bits.

Regards
Nic
Hi,

I am just in the middle of dismounting the light cluster, so I am hoping for a quick reply. :D

Using Geonic's instruction, I managed to almost get it done. But the cluster gets stuck where it touches the black plastic "bar" running from one light cluster towards the other. In my atteched picture, I am pointing at that spot.

How did you guys manage to get it out there? (Yes I removed the nut, the cables and unlocked the clip.)

Greets and thanks,
Hauser

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just take it out to the back and left then :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
geonic said:
Just take it out to the back and left then :)
Doesn't work for me. :(

The side that is connected to that "black bar" (between the light clusters) doesn't move at all.
The other side does come out for approximately 1-1.5 cm, but only with force. The screw still sits pretty deep in that hole, so I can't get further back or to the side. So "I" am literally stuck.

Greets,
Hauser

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, first post, just joined the forum. Picked up my 2016 Disco Sport today (SE) and on the way home started to hear the rattles and squeaks.

I have just used the useful info on this thread to fix the rear tailgate squeak which was awful, not sure how I missed it on the test drive, but anyway is gone now.

I used some soft EVA material (its like foam, about 2mm thick) - and I replaced all of the rectangular rubber sticky pads - even the ones which were still in situ. My feeling was that the rubber used was too hard and contributing to the squeak, my tailgate is now silent.

Biggest thanks goes to Geonic for the pictures, the trickiest part of the job is getting the lights out of the vehicle which is a bit fiddly, but well within the capabilities of most home DIY mechanics.

I now have the door pillar squeal to face, which I think will be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
724 Posts
:?: Still can't understand we are fixing the squeekes and rattles on a 30K+ vehicle :shock:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
County said:
:?: Still can't understand we are fixing the squeekes and rattles on a 30K+ vehicle :shock:
Because it's a 2016, if it's not from an LR dealer the selling garage wouldn't have a clue.
Because sometime with the right info you can do a better job yourself.
Because you're more committed to fixing it than some technician in the dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same issues and it took over one year to get to the bottom of it. It was myself who identified the causes.
The plastic light clusters have been over tightened and are rubbing against the bodywork. Also the plastic strip that runs across the tailgate above the number plate. The solution was to remove the items and put sticky tape on the edges of both components and refix them. This is what my dealer did to fix the problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks all for help.
I knew the origin of the noise but looking at the information here I solved it faster. I repair my lantern carried out today with the inclusion of adhesive tape to maintain the spacing between the lantern and the metal door.

Today I still have two more squeaks that bother me:
-Left rear door (it looks like there's something loose inside, I'll take it apart to check)
-Rear seats if you are not heavy (carrying something), there is a noise in the backrest system

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a squeak on turning the steering wheel full lock in either direction, cannot fine the cause:mad:

41 - 59 of 59 Posts