Discovery Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
has anyone information if there exists an official fix for it? Is Q477 confirmed to be this issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For all I know they do some kind of lining with the lamp cluster......to avoid the plastic rubbing against the metal

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a squeak on my car from the Rear light cluster. Each Light has two halves, one half fitted to the rear wing and the other half fitted to the tailgate.
It is the half fitted to the tailgate that is causing the squeaking. In my case, the light fitting on the tailgate is fitted too high up and is rubbing on the tailgate. There is no clearance between the top of the light and the tailgate itself. It needs the light loosened off from the inside of the tailgate and repositioned lower so that it does not rub on the tailgate. No need for tape.
The light on the other side has just under one millimetre clearance, and does not squeak.

I have another squeak that is prominent from within the car. I think I have found the cause, so I will wait a few more days to confirm this before I publish it. I have now went two full days without any squeaking. fingers crossed!
Jeff

·
Registered
162 Posts
jeff said:
I have another squeak that is prominent from within the car. I think I have found the cause, so I will wait a few more days to confirm this before I publish it. I have now went two full days without any squeaking. fingers crossed!
Jeff
Hi jeff - would you mind sharing the information for the other squeak within the car you mentioned? I have a ticking squeak/rattle in the boot/trunk area, and I have not been able to pinpoint the exact location yet. All I know is that it is coming from the rear passenger area between C and D pillars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will see from my previous posts, the trail to try and identify the squeaking noise coming from behind whilst driving my Land rover Discovery Sport.
The most prominent squeak(from the outside) was the rear light cluster fitted to the tailgate.However, as stated previously, I was not convinced that this was the squeaking I was hearing whilst driving.
I returned my car to my Dealer in Perth and was accompanied by a Technician who also confirmed the squeaking from the tailgate light.My car is booked in again to correct this fault in early January 2016.

On the 30 mile journey back home, the squeaking noise was now almost permanent and driving me mad with anger. I convinced myself that the benefit of this increased noise would now make it easier to find. (when either myself or the technician on my return visit was sitting in the back)

Later that day, I had to collect my two grandchildren from nursery which meant I had to fit the two child seats, which rattled and squeaked independently. After removing them about 1 hour later, I noticed that my original squeaking had gone.

I have now went for 3-4 days without a single squeak and have come to the conclusion that the squeaking was coming from the Plastic Covers that clip on to the ISO FIX fittings where the child seats are secured to in the second row.
There is no other possible explanation. Nothing else was done.

Whilst I am absolutely delighted that by pure chance, this issue has now been addressed, I am now driving my car around with total pleasure and no distractions and loving it.

Sincerely hope that this helps others in a similar situation.

My car will still be going back in January to get the rear light dropped by about one millimetre.

Landrover need to address the issue with the rear light clearance on the production line, as this is a common problem which is costing them a lot of money and disgruntled customers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello
I had a squeak in the rear, it turned out to be under the rear seat, there is white sponge direct on metal bracket , by releasing the clips (bugger to get back) and putting fabric between them it has been cured.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My right hand side rear lamp unit was squeaking against the tailgate, so I flipped the small cover off the inside of the tailgate with a broad trowel covered with masking tape. Under the cover is access to the back of the lamp unit and the 8 mm nut that holds it in. Taking the nut off allows the lamp to be moved around but not easy to remove, but by putting some masking tape in the gap so it is not plastic rubbing against paint and a squirt of WD 40 then put the nut back on stopped the squeak. When replacing the cover ensure the tabs have entered the slots before giving a sharp smack with your hand (just like on the production line).
You may say, why mess about doing this when you have a dealer and a guarantee, but it took me less time than it would be to ring the dealer for him to say book it in, then take time off work to take it in, for a technician to fiddle around for ten minutes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can make the squeak happen by pushing the tailgate panel above the inner light clusters from the outside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mac said:
You can make the squeak happen by pushing the tailgate panel above the inner light clusters from the outside.
I can only hear the ticking noise while driving, pushing the tailgate panel from outside does not make any noise.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Go to rear of the car, and push hard on the tailgate just above the light cluster....try both sides and see if it squeaks. Mine was awful and took 2 attempts to fix.

I've got a video....can't upload on here but link below.....

S.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another strange noise........
The powered tailgate on my DS has gone from "sighing" to loudly groaning every time it is opened or closed. The sound is similar to an early Hammer Horror creaking door. I haven't noticed any squeaks or rattles when driving.
The noise seems to come from the left strut which also vibrates during closing/opening. The vibration acn be felt rather than seen.
Any one else had a similar problem?
:)
Have booked in with the local dealership in a couple of weeks but would love to avoid this if there is a simple fix- like spraying some polish on the strutt.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Try 3 in 1 oil Jan, as well as freeing anything that is stuck also lubricates.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, thought I´d enter 'squeak' and 'tailgate' into the forum search and bingo.
Thanks @Sprower for the video, our DS has now developed exactly the same annoying squeak after about 4000km. It´s only on the left hand side of the tailgate. When I push on the light cluster, awful.
I can also hear it when driving. The road doesn´t even have to be too bumpy.
I´ll try to get it fixed myself, will report back if I´m successful!

Thanks
Nic

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Nic,

Mine took 2 visits to fix but is now fine.....no issues since the second fix about 4000 miles ago.

Good luck!

S

·
Registered
149 Posts
So yesterday was the day to banish the squeaky mouse from the tailgate. Perhaps my description can help if you want to do this on your own rather then spending time at the dealership.

As some already described, I also noticed the uneven gap between the light cluster and the tailgate resulting in no gap at all on the inner side of the light:
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire This is where the squeak originates!

Dismounting the light cluster is not too complicated. I removed the small cover on the inner tailgate cover and unplugged the cables, removed the only nut and unhooked the plastic clip holding the light cluster in place:
Gas Automotive exterior Cable Electrical wiring Wire

After the light was removed, I noticed that the plastic of the light already scrubbed some of the paintwork away:
Hood Bumper Automotive design Trunk Motor vehicle I gave that area a polish.

Lowering the light cluster a little bit could already be sufficient, but after removing it, I instantly saw the reason:
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Cable Auto part

Spot the difference!
Automotive lighting Bumper Finger Automotive exterior Composite material The rubber damper had slipped from its original place. So I just had to stick it back.

After putting everything back together, the result is a constant gap:
Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting
And the squeak is gone, too! :D

Hope, my English is understandable, I struggled a bit to find words for some technical bits.

Regards
Nic

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Superb photos and words!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Excellent info.

I can confirm that there was a rattle on the demo car I had recently, which I fixed by properly locating the isofix covers - demo was a salesman vehicle and obviously used for kid seats. Properly fixed covers don't rattle.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts