Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware there is some discussion about spare wheel security in other topics but I wanted to have a dedicated thread.
For those who are new to the problem: there is an issue with spare wheel mount on LandRovers (Discovery, Range Rovers) accessible from outside of the vehicle that leads to spare wheels being stollen etc
Looking at the 7-seater DS spare wheel mount I found a bolt that needs to be loosen from inside the boot. That fact in theory should prevent the spare detachment without unlocking the car. Unfortunately dealer could not confirm that (basically no one even tried to unmount the spare)
Can please anyone who has a 7-seat version AND a spare wheel confirm that it can not be stolen now?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The D3 and old Range Rover sport have a wind down system similar to the DS, these can easily be cut with wire cutters and the wheel taken. There are a number of aftermarket covers which basically prevent using a steel plate access to the wire holding the wheel on.
TBH I cannot see anyone stealing a space saver, and I do not think the full size even punctured can be refitted ( can it? ) so that will go into the boot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I am trying to figure out - whether I need a steel plate there...
I was under impression I can order a full spare wheel for DS. In fact, I am pretty sure that's what I have in my order and the salesman promised it'll be 'exactly the same as the other 4'. I am afraid it will make it an easy target...
Any responses from lucky owners would be highly appreciated...

·
Registered
506 Posts
gene
I was under impression I can order a full spare wheel for DS. In fact, I am pretty sure that's what I have in my order and the salesman promised it'll be 'exactly the same as the other 4'. I am afraid it will make it an easy target...
I've been considering a protection plate, and still not decided yet.

However, the ONLY spare that you can fit underneath the car is a skinny, NOT full size, so salesman is wrong. The rear panel (section of the bumper) has to be removed when accessing the spare, and will not go back on with a full size spare (or road wheel) slung underneath.

·
Registered
270 Posts
xxtrail said:
gene
I've been considering a protection plate, and still not decided yet.

However, the ONLY spare that you can fit underneath the car is a skinny, NOT full size, so salesman is wrong. The rear panel (section of the bumper) has to be removed when accessing the spare, and will not go back on with a full size spare (or road wheel) slung underneath.
Yes you can only fit a full size spare on the vehicle if you have the 5 seat model, and then it goes in the boot floor, not under the car. The rear underneath the car is different between 5 and 7 seat models (different exhaust, etc, not just the spare mount).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just received a reply from JLR Customer Relations:

Further to our previous conversations regarding the space saver spare wheel fitted to the Discovery Sport model.

In an attempt to deter the theft of the spare wheel, our Product Department have advised the stowage system is fitted with a collar to help prevent the cable from being cut.

I hope my email answers your enquiry and once again please accept my apologies for the length of time it has taken to obtain the information you requested. Should you have any further queries or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
My email reply:

The Product Department response is interesting, as it acknowledges that they are aware of the potential threat (to D3, D4 and DS) and surprises me that they have not neutralised this threat by 'designing in' a collar/plate system to protect customers' vehicles. Maybe they will consider this in the future, as to address the problem and fit a collar/plate via third party providers will cost a customer £60 -120 (dependent upon supplier)?
I'll see if I get a further response.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have yet to collect my DS so am not able to comment from experience regarding the security threat to the spare wheel.

However, the 5+2 seat version is only available with the skinny spare and I share the view that this is probably not a very attractive target for theft (but there are weird people about!!). The system used for retaining the spare is, I understand, the same as that for the Disco 4 and RRSport - ie a cable and winch arrangement.

There are readily available replacement winch/cable assemblies for the Disco 4, RRSport etc which are 'anti-theft' that appear to be genuine Land Rover parts - see for example, Duckworth Landrover. That being the case, it would seem frankly bizarre if Land Rover had not incorporated this newer design into the DS. Of course, sanity may not have prevailed, in which case there are after market cable sleeves which presumably guard against the cable being cut - see for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spare-Wheel-Shield-Land-Rover-Brand-New-in-Box-Protect-your-Spare-Wheel-/391092208018 (£70 - need to check this fits the DS)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
the DS space saver is a lot narrower than the D3/4 RRS wheels, i would check there is room first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.