Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Still pondering about spare wheel...my order goes firm in tge coming days at the moment I have a can of jolop and a compressor because i want a detachable tow bar which doesnt wreck the back bumper....but now i am gaving second thoughts and might dump the towbar and have a pram wheel spare....what have you specced??

·
Registered
230 Posts
I didn't bother with the pram wheel (as u call it). You have three years LR recovery and I don't really see my wife changing a wheel just to get to a dealer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've went without, that's what LR assist is for :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going for the security blanket of a spare wheel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
'Skinny wheel' ordered. What (fortunately limited) experience I've had of 'tyre repair systems' is that they rarely work even as a very temporary measure - they clearly cannot cope with anything other than a slow leak or very small hole. Doubtless Land Rover Assist is likely to serve for most emergencies but if you're driving somewhere remote - even in the UK - let alone abroad it is wise, I suggest, not to rely on them carrying a suitable spare to get you out of trouble. Interestingly I inadvertently downloaded the 'wrong' pdf brochure for a DS the other day from the Landrover.com site which, although in English, presumably related to European cars (it was referenced 710228_L550_15MY_MAIN_EURO_LHD_DIGITAL_tcm281-109590) that provided for a standard full-sized spare (albeit to go with the standard 5 seats arrangement) with the skinny wheel as an option if you opted for 5+2 seats. What was also interesting about this version of the brochure was the other differences from the UK model - eg a choice of 6 engines!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Chose the 5seater in The Netherlands. Dealer initially said I might get a 17" silver full spare wheel but luckily the factory confirmed that your full spare is exactly the same as your other wheels; 20" black for me. When you look under the floor, the space for the full spare is MASSIVE. I think it easily adds some 200 litres to the already sizeable 1,698 litres boot.

I hope some smart company could replace the boot floor with one that is 25cm lower! That way the DS would get closer to the new Big Discovery (which looks very similar, is much bigger yet loses the pronounced jump in the roof and the rear door becomes a conventional 1 piece)

Did you realise the Range Rover Sport has only 1,760 litres boot and its loading floor with seats folded is 2cm shorter at 187cm?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thought I show you what the 5 seater DS with space saver spare wheel looks like in The Netherlands. You can see from the space that it easily fits a 20" full size spare. Imagine the extra 200 litres or so boot space if you took the polystyrene 100cm x 100cm x 25cm = 250litres out...

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
5seater with flat loading bay...

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
When you choose a 7seats lay-out with save space spare wheel, the spare wheel is located UNDER the car (would that impact terrain ability? it does not seem to allow for a tow bar in this case)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with LR-Phan, the blow up kits only work on small punctures and according to what I have heard the gloop ruins the tyre so you have to buy a new on,. If you have the emergency spare you can either fit it yourself or get LR assist to do it and then get the puncture repaired in the normal way.
I have an Evoque at present for which I specified the emergency spare, I haven't needed it yet and hope not to before I get my new D S in March, for which I have also ordered an emergency spare.
I am in France so have been able to order a 5 seater, a full size spare is available but not if you specify a tow-bar (which I have). Mine is to be an HSE SD4 in white with a black roof, grey wheels, dynamic suspension and cirrus interior. I have been very happy with the Evoque except for it's very limited luggage space so am looking forward to more room in my D S.
By the way my wife has an Opel Agila, we specified an emergency spare wheel for that and needed it last week! The puncture was very small but was on the shoulder of the tread so we had to buy a new tyre, thus you could argue that the standard blow up kit would have worked !! ? (I was still happier to have a wheel to put on even if it does look only big enough for a moped!)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think there's a couple of different models of tow packs (with and without 7 seats) which would take into account the spare location. I've seen images which show the 7 seat version has a different rear bumper and sticks out the back more. See attached (note this is Australian spec - may or may not be the same for other Geos)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I didn't see the fixed height none stick out version when i ordered mine, I would of preferred that it would be better for a bike carrier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally changed my order spec to delete towbar and have a pram wheel spare...just worry about being stuck in France (or anywhere really) with the can of jollop not solving the problem....no confidence in Assist being of any use....don't think they carry spare wheels :?: ...just hoping that someone like witter etc develop a towbwr solution which doesn't require the lump on the rear bumper when a spare is fitted...specced memory seats with the saving tho' :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've heard LR assist are now ditching their big D4s, for vans due to now having to carry spares.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re:towbar you can spec the detachable towbar, with spare wheel, but it is dealer fit only and just under £1k.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes they are getting transit vans instead of D4's but this is more to do with cost cutting the assist operational costs rather than spare part carrying....I am sure they will not carry spare wheels....imagine the scenario...what happens to the spare wheel they fit out of their van? do you keep it or do you return it when you get the puncture sorted? just can't see it happening.....and yes you can have a detachable towbar with a spare wheel....but have you seen what happens to the rear bumper!...and £1K.... :cry:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I plan to get a skiny wheel/tyre and leave it in the boot, I guess it is the same fitment as the Evoque so they should be a few around on fleabay

·
Registered
270 Posts
Triple7 said:
Re:towbar you can spec the detachable towbar, with spare wheel, but it is dealer fit only and just under £1k.
Is that this one? I think this is actually the one we get in Australia rather than my previous post.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
No, those are the ugly 'fixed height' bars. There should be the detachable 'swan neck' bar available with & without spare wheel.

Not too sure what differences there are between the two with regard to subframe?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts