Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not look a gift horse in the mouth, Cazoo offered totally wacko amount of money for my Jan 2020 P250 R-dyn HSE with 8K miles. Paid £50,150 for it In Jan 2020 new( plus a few hundred in finance before I paid it off), sold it to Cazoo for £49,450 yesterday, got he full website price. The amazing thing is that like WBAC, they don't price or allow for extras. If I hadn't added £6K of extras to my order in Jan, I'd be in profit by almost £5K....unbelievable.

£3K better price than WBAC. The difference was enough for me to get the ferry over to Scotland and drive from cairyan to Falkirk to drop the car to their nearest showroom (they don't have a presence in N.I.). I had a private plate, so I had to wait a couple of weeks for the new plate to be recognised by Cazoo, and the price came down from £50,300, so I am guessing prices have plateaued. My LR dealer was real cold, reluctantly matched WBAC price. This is someone that I am a customer off, knows the history of the car, knows every extra on the car, and likely has a database of buyers gagging for a good car. So I'll not be falling over myself to give them my business next time round.

My original idea was to buy something £7K-£9K, wait for delivery times to come down, then buy something new again, having locked the good resell value of the DS.

I'm seriously considering all electric. I've driven the Kia EV6. Great tech, the AWD will go like a rocket, pretty decent interior. But there is significant road noise from the tyres,the range doesn't seem any thing close, and the black bits of the two tone "alloys" are plastic, so I'm not sure. I think the polestar 2 would be my car, but they currently don't sell to N.I. !!

The DS did have some annoying features. Like the keyless entry not working the very odd time, or sometimes the screen not powering up for a couple of mins meaning no reversing/360 camera etc, or 1 time in 30 it wouldn't know my phone was there. The clearsight mirror started failing to power up the odd time too. None of them happened enough to force me to go to my dealer, but just enough to be annoying.

The one bugbear that I did have that DID annoy me was that even this powerful petrol car had significant delay from a junction or entering a roundabout, requiring forward planning. Same as my previous merc car. I think this is one of the reasons why I'm looking at EV, the instant go from zero and linear power delivery.

Anyhow, it remains the best car i've ever had, proud to have it on my drive. It was comfortable, quiet and a really nice place to be in. I mostly do small journeys, so the drive/ferry/drive gave me a new appreciation of it's overall great package. Kinda sad to see an empty space in my drive the morning. But the particular scenario of great 2nd hand prices and Cazoo trying to buy market share and make a name for itself, made the argument for selling too compelling to pass by.

And so onward into the great unknown...first time I've been car-less since the mid 80s.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Interesting write up, I’m in a similar position with a high spec DS to sell but as you said these online car buying outfits don’t take an interest in the options (not that LR dealers do with the prices they offer) I’ve got a DS P300e due in January, having test driven one I particularly liked the instant acceleration available from standstill, I didn’t go full electric as I don’t have confidence in the recharging infrastructure yet when away from home. (Maybe in 5years?) if the new PHEV Lexus NX had been available back in June I would have given that strong consideration especially as they offer 10years of warranty as well as being in my opinion a good looking car like the DS.
But as the saying goes
“Once a Land Rover owner Always a Land Rover owner” !

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Paul41 did you get a cazoo valuation ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
@Paul41 did you get a cazoo valuation ?
Yes and it came out as the best of the lot, although it has gone down slightly lately, I might give Motorway a try first as it allows you to send photos for dealers to assess & then base their offer on the actual car, looking at dealers forecourts/websites they are putting a mark up of £8k on the what they offered me px
Cazoo offered £3.5k over the dealer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could not look a gift horse in the mouth, Cazoo offered totally wacko amount of money for my Jan 2020 P250 R-dyn HSE with 8K miles. Paid £50,150 for it In Jan 2020 new( plus a few hundred in finance before I paid it off), sold it to Cazoo for £49,450 yesterday, got he full website price. The amazing thing is that like WBAC, they don't price or allow for extras. If I hadn't added £6K of extras to my order in Jan, I'd be in profit by almost £5K....unbelievable.

£3K better price than WBAC. The difference was enough for me to get the ferry over to Scotland and drive from cairyan to Falkirk to drop the car to their nearest showroom (they don't have a presence in N.I.). I had a private plate, so I had to wait a couple of weeks for the new plate to be recognised by Cazoo, and the price came down from £50,300, so I am guessing prices have plateaued. My LR dealer was real cold, reluctantly matched WBAC price. This is someone that I am a customer off, knows the history of the car, knows every extra on the car, and likely has a database of buyers gagging for a good car. So I'll not be falling over myself to give them my business next time round.

My original idea was to buy something £7K-£9K, wait for delivery times to come down, then buy something new again, having locked the good resell value of the DS.

I'm seriously considering all electric. I've driven the Kia EV6. Great tech, the AWD will go like a rocket, pretty decent interior. But there is significant road noise from the tyres,the range doesn't seem any thing close, and the black bits of the two tone "alloys" are plastic, so I'm not sure. I think the polestar 2 would be my car, but they currently don't sell to N.I. !!

The DS did have some annoying features. Like the keyless entry not working the very odd time, or sometimes the screen not powering up for a couple of mins meaning no reversing/360 camera etc, or 1 time in 30 it wouldn't know my phone was there. The clearsight mirror started failing to power up the odd time too. None of them happened enough to force me to go to my dealer, but just enough to be annoying.

The one bugbear that I did have that DID annoy me was that even this powerful petrol car had significant delay from a junction or entering a roundabout, requiring forward planning. Same as my previous merc car. I think this is one of the reasons why I'm looking at EV, the instant go from zero and linear power delivery.

Anyhow, it remains the best car i've ever had, proud to have it on my drive. It was comfortable, quiet and a really nice place to be in. I mostly do small journeys, so the drive/ferry/drive gave me a new appreciation of it's overall great package. Kinda sad to see an empty space in my drive the morning. But the particular scenario of great 2nd hand prices and Cazoo trying to buy market share and make a name for itself, made the argument for selling too compelling to pass by.

And so onward into the great unknown...first time I've been car-less since the mid 80s.
I have a similar story.

Back in June I visited a JLR main dealer and traded in my 8 year old Freelander 2 HSE for a Jaguar XF Sportbrake 3 litre V6 twin turbo. The car is beautiful but I didn’t take to it, too fast for me ((I don’t know what I was thinking, I’m retired)! Anyway I sold it last week to Cazoo. They offered me £1500 more than I paid the main dealer 4 months ago and I got the full offer price. WBAC offered me £4,275 less, it was a no brainier.

My plan was to wait a while before buying another LR, but I was missing my old LR so bought a Discovery Sport HSE from Cazoo a week later. I had a brilliant experience both buying and selling and heartily recommend them although all used car prices are scandalously high at the moment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As an exercise, my 17MY with 57000 miles was tonight valued as follows:

Cazoo. £23850
Motorway. £24970
WBAC. £21304
Evans Halshaw. £22100
MotorPoint. £18433

Interesting.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The motorway number is just an estimate, takes several days from starting the process to the car getting listed, at at the end of it all, even the final price isn't guaranteed, and the highest bidding dealer might not proceed or even show up.

I listed mine on motorway, I wasn't too excited by their estimated of £46415 (pretty much same as WBAC, £3K less that Cazoo), but given i have a whole ball of extras and also the great condition of my car (I got it ceramic coated the day I bought it, and I'm the only one that ever washed it), I imagined out of their network of "3000" dealers, some would see the extra value. Anyhow I couldn't proceed with Cazoo until they updated their database from the DVLA to see my new reg, so I thought I'd given them a go.

After a bit of faff, and then a couple of days wait before they listed it, on the day itself it went live @ 10am, and finished @ 3pm.

The email @3pm told me a grand total of 2 dealers bid, 1 @ £44009, and the other finished at around 42K. So very low ball.

There is no place on the motorway process to add extras. The guy that phoned to go thru some details didn't seemed all that pushed to know about them, but did take them and added them to "the notes that the dealers can see", but it sounded like afterthought.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Wow can not believe your pricing.
The list price for a new Discovery sport in Canada starts at $52150.00 plus options naturally. That works out to be 30984.00 GBP for a brand new car Automatic naturally
A fully equipped car with every option would be $70,391.00 or 41,822.00 GBP.

So is it your dealers with the huge mark up or your government ripping you off.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The list price for a new Discovery sport in Canada starts at $52150.00 plus options naturally. That works out to be 30984.00 GBP for a brand new car Automatic naturally

You have to take in to account [email protected] 20%

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you think the UK prices are expensive then try EU pricing (German I think). Just for interest I configured to the same spec my new DS due to be built in December and totally amazed at the price €80,000 ! yes thats right £68,000

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked the cazoo price for my car today, and it's down to £48,600...£850 less than what they paid me on Thursday. It is possible that it's because their system knows they have a very similar (in fact the same !) car in stock.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I'm assuming the uk ones go much higher spec than the CA ones, because the starting price in the UK for a base engine/base model is £32,430 which is only £2K more than your price, but top engine variants and extras can almost double that price.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm assuming the yk ones go much higher spec than the CA ones, because the starting price in the UK for a base engine/base model is £32,430 which is only £2K more than your price, but top engine variants and extras can almost double that price.
UK cars are higher spec, you just need to look at the Land Rover Canada configurator here I'm one step closer to my perfect 2022 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SPORT. See configuration. to see the differences. And the prices quoted there don’t include any taxes where the UK configurator is an OTR price including VAT.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you mean by higher spec that we have none of your troublesome engines I guess you are right LOL never mind your corroded brakes.But in the USA the prices are even lower than Canada.:eek::eek:
we have a 4 year warranty and do not have to go to dealership for service and first service is always free, so it is hard to compare apples to prunes.

I see that the base Discovery in the UK is FWD (not available in Canada or USA) small Diesel engine (not available ) and a manual transmission ( also not Available) so it is very hard to compare prices for base models.

Taxes are different depending on where you live in Canada so usually not included in the advertised price of any purchase. Lowest combined sales tax is 5% and the highest is 15% , where I live the tax rate is 5% federal and 7% provincial.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you mean by higher spec that we have none of your troublesome engines I guess you are right LOL never mind your corroded brakes.But in the USA the prices are even lower than Canada.:eek::eek:
we have a 4 year warranty and do not have to go to dealership for service and first service is always free, so it is hard to compare apples to prunes.

I see that the base Discovery in the UK is FWD (not available in Canada or USA) small Diesel engine (not available ) and a manual transmission ( also not Available) so it is very hard to compare prices for base models.

Taxes are different depending on where you live in Canada so usually not included in the advertised price of any purchase. Lowest combined sales tax is 5% and the highest is 15% , where I live the tax rate is 5% federal and 7% provincial.
I mean spec. I only had a brief look earlier and was looking at an R Dynamic HSE, which in UK spec has Matrix LED lights (not even an option in Canada) and a panoramic roof (optional extra in Canada) - also doesn’t look like a heated steering wheel is an option. These were just the things I noticed.

We also don’t need to go to a dealer for servicing; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Exemption_Regulation

·
Registered
602 Posts
The price I mentioned for the fully loaded model had a panoramic roof and cold weather package.

Matrix LED are not allowed in the North American market at the present time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts