Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted your thoughts.
I follow the Facebook LR Uk page, and LR UK You Tube Channels.
Such as:
https://www.facebook.com/landrover.uk/photos/a.131389890227401.14915.118719108161146/930283417004707/?type=1&theater

They are in undated with dislike for the DS, saying it is a watering down of Discovery design etc.
I know there are lots of simple folk who just assume the DS replaces the Full Size Discovery, and they don't realise it is more a replacement for the freelander. But there seems to be an awful lot of dislike / even hatred.
It doesn't even make sense that some of these people follow LR media as a lot of them are just trolls repeating how appalling LR build quality is, etc.
Obviously all DS buyers think differently?
It would be good if LR did a comparison between Freelander 2 and DS.
Also it would be good if they explained about the three distinct families etc...
I do hope the new full size disco is going to keep some of its utilitarian roots... maybe a little less of the Discovery Visioin which want to be a Limousine rather than a huge practical boot.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I think LR is extremely lucky to have a strong customer base of clients who would not want to be seen in say a BMW X3 or Audi Q5. Fact is however that apart from offroad ability in pure reliability, engine performance and MPG, the German brands beat LR hands done. I think LR realised and now got the proof that design sells. I admire the team for trying to keep you happy (offroad ability, practical, no nonsense & hardwearing interior) while also appeal to new customers who value design. I would never have traded my Evoque for the new DS if the design would not have moved on substantially from the Freelander

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Everyone has been here before, when the Range Rover came out in 1970 all the series 3 diehards said it was not a proper Land Rover, the Discovery in 1989 was a Japanese clone (remember the Daihatsu Fortrak -what ever happened to that) The Freelander was not a Land Rover when that came out, and the Evoque well that got ribbed as well. I doubt there is a car company in the world that does not wish they designed the Evoque.
So I am leaving the dinosaurs to the comments. If JLR need to change anything it is the reliability, that still needs improving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wife drives a X5 and I drivd a Freelander, her car has been in for repairs far more than mine. Intbe3 yrs of FL2 motoring the car had been faultless, probably the most enjoyable car I have owned.

Agreed that the BMW engine and gearbox are better than LR but BMW reliability is nothing to be proud of!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just ignore it, like you say most are trolls with outdated views and experiences. In truth, the DS is getting a lot of interest and will be well received.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The slightly old engine aside I have not seen a negative comment from any of the genuine motoring press ( thats people who actually know about what they are writing)

·
Registered
44 Posts
For many, the last "real" Land Rover was the Defender, but as these people only buy some 2,000 a year compared to the 119,000 Freelanders and Evoques it says more than words.
Each development of the Freelander, Discovery, Range Rover has been a terrific step forward. The future is as exciting as the recent past has been.
As for BMW I wouldn't wee in them if they were on fire.
They bought Rover from. BA for the technology they couldn't design or develop themselves, front wheel drive, four wheel drive, SUV, all designed and developed within the Rover Group. Their crappy 2,0.5 ltr engin in 38a was a disaster, all their development in the past few years has been based upon the British Rover engineers. When they sold LR to Ford, they stripped the computers and servers at Solihull. Ford I have to say we're a little better, just a little. Both if these companies used LR for their benefit not for JLRs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts