Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Guildford :)

I've just discovered the new DS and did a test drive yesterday.

Loved the drive but it's hardly believable that JLR are offering a vehicle capable of off road work without a spare wheel.

Ah, said the dealer, just order a get you home spare for a Hundred and something pounds.

Not ideal but perhaps acceptable so that was put on the list.

And a Tow bar please . ..

Nope, can't have a tow bar and a spare wheel.

Really?

Yes, really.

So, from having the card out on the table, to put the deposit down, the card is now firmly back in the moth farm!

However, as we were leaving, one of the salesman mentioned that he had heard that JLR have delivered 5 seat DS's with a spare to the UK.

Anyone else heard that story?

If the 7 seater and no spare is the only model available here in the UK, I suspect I'll be waiting until the rumoured mid year refresh before placing an order.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Hello, this I cannot understand having just received an offer for a DS from my local dealer here in southern Germany with electrical tow bar and he specifically asked me if I wanted a full spare wheel. He would fit it i.e. load it into the space under the boot floor after the vehicle arrives at his premises.
It's also in the configurator from JLR Germany. Sounds like your salesman was taking the easy way out - perhaps he's sellin too many cars!

·
Registered
562 Posts
UK doesn't not yet have the 5 seat, probably end of the year, but maybe only the 2WD as well. Who knows.

As it is you can have a spare, 7 seats & a dealer fit tow bar now, if you so wish.....

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have not actually seen a dealer fit bar in the flesh yet, any one got any photos?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
If you order the FIXED towbar that allows you to have a spacesaver spare wheel the £680 including fitting and vat ends up costing £1239 .

£680 for towbar, £150 for spare wheel and £409 for fitting (including electrics).

Absolutely ridiculous, why can't they quote the actual cost when to have the fixed towbar you have to have all the additions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
philn said:
If you order the FIXED towbar that allows you to have a spacesaver spare wheel .
That's interesting Philn. My dealer (Hunters Guildford) told me that I could have the removable towbar AND the spare wheel.

TBH, it's looking like I'm going to postpone the DS purchase until I can get 5 seats AND a proper spare wheel AND a towbar.

We regularly tour Europe and the thought of getting a puncture and being stuck up a track in the Italian mountains with no spare doesn't really fill me with enthusiasm to part with £40k+

I'm hoping that JLR will see sense later in the year and offer the UK the same as the rest of the world . . . . . .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Took some pictures of the 5 seater in NL. Here you can see why they had to modify many parts including a bespoke exhaust etc to fit the Skinny Spare wheel on a 7 seater.

Attachments

·
Registered
829 Posts
To complete: below the picture of the enormous space under the boot which easily fits a 20" full size spare on the 5seater.

Attached link shows the tyre to be 24,5cm wide and 72,85cm diameter:
https://www.mcgrefer.com/sizeinfo/2454520

"hidden" bootspace underneath boot floor that could be used if you took all packaging / plastics out, circa:
90cm deep, 100cm wide and circa 30cm deep = 270 litres space. Guess you could therefore create a 1,698 litres+ 270 litres = 1,968 litres boot which is some 1,10cm in height if you really wanted to give the dogs some extra space...

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Moose, it is not a tin. it is a plastic bottle and a cute little compressor.... will try it out for blowing up balloons for the next dear child's birthday :)

much more useful than a spare wheel which will never get used :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Duncanslater said:
Moose, it is not a tin. it is a plastic bottle and a cute little compressor.... will try it out for blowing up balloons for the next dear child's birthday :)

much more useful than a spare wheel which will never get used :)
My dealer will be wearing the compressor if they do not sort my car out soon :evil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts