Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Who ever got the side steps already installed on their cars can you please check if the side steps really stops the doors to be knocked by other doors?
I already ordered the body side mouldings and I would really love to get rid of them, I think the car will look better without the body side mouldings.
Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
no, I don't think they prevent door dings.

I did see a white SE with black pack recently at the dealer that had the side mouldings, and I have to say I quite like them. I think it's because they are thicker than normal mouldings, and they shaped thinner in the front and thicker in the rear.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've had the dent devil out to mine twice because of car door dings .... The aluminium door skins dent so easily ... on the plus side they popped out and you can't tell ... and that's on a black DS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all.
I really want to get an answer from one of the owners that have side steps and can do a "little test" :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rtdf said:
Put two 4x4s together and side steps are not going to stop a door hitting your door etc
Good point!
I will rephrase it: Can someone test this against a normal car. :)
If it works then I will park only near smaller cars :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I can't say on the DS, but it did on the D3 as most saloon car front doors touch the side steps first , the rear door because of the curve over the wheel arches miss the side steps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You'll never get a straight yes / no answer to this as car doors vary so much. The example that springs to my mind is on a small car, they usually have a corner missing from the rear door for the wheel arch, that may cause it to clear the side steps (and possibly even the side mouldings).

Park next to a 2 seater convertible (low) and you'll probably be protected by the sills. Next to a small 5 door hatchback, that would vary car to car. It's the rear doors that are most likely to be the problem as well as it's likely that kids will be getting out and flinging the door open without looking.

I usually try to park next to newer / nicer cars, in my mind the driver is more likely to be careful.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the "discovery" style side steps and am pretty certain that other than a Lotus or something of that ilk, you ain't getting much "ding" protection from them. I use them to stand on a wash off the seagull £$%^ from the roof. Oh and I think they look good too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No, you won't get protection from at least 80 percent of the cars on the road. We have them fitted and it's just not high enough.

I can tell you personally that even the doors of a GT3 will clear it. That's because the longest part of the door is just below the window... That will hit long before the side step comes into play. It is the same for most coupes. On a sedan it will be the same on the rear doors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.