Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I chose not to fit side steps when I bought the car. At that time, the dealer was willing to fit them for 499£. Now when I check, the price is 800£. Any advice on getting the genuine ones fitted for lesser price? Also, what's the general view on the aftermarket ones? I was looking for some interesting choices on direct4x4.co.uk however not sure of the quality and durability of such..

Appreciate your views please.

G

·
I've used aftermarket ones on a RRS for 4 years and on the DS for 18 months (before it went). No problems with either, easy diy fit and much better vfm than the skyhigh LR prices

Depending on your locality, If you don't want diy fit then I believe that Direct 4x4 do a fitting service for around £70

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it helps LR are doing 20% off accessories this week.....just check the LR main website

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you go for the Direct4x4 side steps?

Interested as I am considering same...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I've got a set of lightly used genuine LR side steps complete with brackets, rivnuts and boot I will put up for sale in the next day if you are interested?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I fitted my after market side steps (£110) last Sunday and it went fine. Took me about 1.5 hours tho fit three first one and 20 mins tho do the 2nd side.
I had bought a trim removal kit (£8) and rivnut setting tool (£13) beforehand.
The thing that took the longest was checking which step went on which side and which bracket was front and which back..... the instructions were from downloaded from LR but the bits where not marked.
I can't comment on longevity but they look good and are still on a week later😁

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Fair play. The only thing I found on a set of D4 Britpart side steps I put on in past times was they tarnished quickly and the trim detached, but they are a whole lot cheaper than the originals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.
I am new to the site and just had a Discovery sport 150 Pure as a starter to the Land Rover group.

Me asking for your help and advice here please.
I am wanting to fit a set of side steps for my car and have looked at several posts form several members and they range from Ebay at just over £100 to dealers at £400+.
Has anyone got the ones from Ebay about £160 that are the special edition Black ones?
If not what would you advise me on, i know its a personal choice but there are so many that have gone and got them now and will either be pleased and would recommend them.I am wanting t keep the car for many year and its not for show bt will be used for fishing and other sports, I have also looked at fitting instructions and i am not bad with basics but i don't want the ones where i will have to start cutting into the plastics to fit the brackets. I have seen some saying 'same fitting as OEM parts so should just be bolt on?
Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanked.
Thanks so much
Pat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Pat

After a long time contemplating I took the option of the Direct4x4 "Black Raptor" side steps. They were not to bad to fit, (just do NOT take off the clear plastic protectors on the bolts, as these stop the bolts going up into the casing and you losing them, to have to order replacements!)

https://direct4x4.co.uk/collections/land-rover-accessories/products/land-rover-black-raptor-side-steps

There is a video online of how to fit also:

I attach some photos on them on my vehicle:

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sleeve Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Hope this helps.
Iain

Pat123fish said:
Hi all.
I am new to the site and just had a Discovery sport 150 Pure as a starter to the Land Rover group.

Me asking for your help and advice here please.
I am wanting to fit a set of side steps for my car and have looked at several posts form several members and they range from Ebay at just over £100 to dealers at £400+.
Has anyone got the ones from Ebay about £160 that are the special edition Black ones?
If not what would you advise me on, i know its a personal choice but there are so many that have gone and got them now and will either be pleased and would recommend them.I am wanting t keep the car for many year and its not for show bt will be used for fishing and other sports, I have also looked at fitting instructions and i am not bad with basics but i don't want the ones where i will have to start cutting into the plastics to fit the brackets. I have seen some saying 'same fitting as OEM parts so should just be bolt on?
Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanked.
Thanks so much
Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, new to forum and owning a DS [bought second hand and now own HSE Black / Corris Grey MY16]

The OEM style parts on ebay come with much smaller brackets that direct4x4 show - I worry that the direct 4x4 brackets will cause ground clearance issues, but equally worry that buying from eBay OEM style could be low quality!?

Also, if buying OEM style does anyone know of any garages that do fitting in South/Hampshire area? I'm not competent or confident yet!

Thanks

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
@DiscoguyFife

Stupid question, but did you need to have the Disco up on a ramp to fit the side steps please?

Sorry, total newbie here. Just picked up my DS Landmark Edition and want to make it a bit unique ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
hartynoll said:
@DiscoguyFife

Stupid question, but did you need to have the Disco up on a ramp to fit the side steps please?

Sorry, total newbie here. Just picked up my DS Landmark Edition and want to make it a bit unique ;)
Hi, no didn't need Disco up on a ramp. Fitted it with the car on a level surface (in my garage) and just slid underneath body of vehicle slightly as and when needed to access the bolts etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I been at my garage for years went to day asked if he would fit side steps .he said he could but could not do no more work on is ramp . as it would have to be a 4 post one is is only a 2 post so won't fit .is that .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts