Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My wife wants to have side steps fitted, and I am curious if they are something that perhaps I can fit myself, and if there is any drilling involved, or are they bolt on? We've got about 4 weeks to go before delivery, and we're trying to decide what accessories to have the dealer install, and what can wait.
Thanks all!
Kk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kenkros, as sidesteps are my main area of expertise, I can confirm that you will need a 'nutsert' tool if you choose to install them yourself, there should be simpler ones on Ebay, just make sure they come with both M8 and M6 mandrels.. To see how they attach, you can have a look at my EVQ side steps, the logic is the same for DS.. Other then that if you are a handy guy, pretty simple job this is..

http://www.barmeca.com

BK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info BK...and the pictures help alot, especially since I have yet to see the underside of a DS.
Any idea if the sidesteps for the Evoque and DS are interchangeable?

Thanks, and if those are your sidesteps, you've got a very nice product there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think its purely down to aesthetics, you would have to be pretty small for them to be of any assistance getting into the vehicle, in fact if anything they are a bloody hinderance, They offer very limited protection to body work as well.

So for me it was down to the look more than anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, I decided to have side steps fitted one week before delivery by my dealer after much deliberation.I have to agree that they make it more difficult to exit the car with them fitted but in my opinion,this is more than compensated for by the superb appearance of the cars with them.I think they really add the extra classy touch to an already super looking motor.

·
Registered
385 Posts
question for anyone who got the side steps fitted - I was told in order to fit the side steps, the black molding on the bottom of the car would need to be permanently removed. is that true?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got the side steps (fitted by LR), plus had them on my previous D4 and FL2. I think they look good, but for me I have them as it helps the kids get into the car, although this is less of an issue with the DS than the D4, plus they are helpful when washing the roof or loading a topbox. On the D4, I alway used to brush my trousers against them when exiting the car, but the DS ones are not as wide so this is less of a problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Disco said:
question for anyone who got the side steps fitted - I was told in order to fit the side steps, the black molding on the bottom of the car would need to be permanently removed. is that true?
When you look at the fitting instructions on Topix, it shows that the plastic is put back on after fitting the steps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Disco said:
can you please direct me to where I can download the instructions?
Fitting instructions for you. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I am trying to persuade my Dad to get some steps as they look great. However he thinks that you get a constant pinging noise from stones/road chippings etc hitting them when driving along. Is this an issue for anyone that has the steps fitted?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Windrush said:
Hi - I am trying to persuade my Dad to get some steps as they look great. However he thinks that you get a constant pinging noise from stones/road chippings etc hitting them when driving along. Is this an issue for anyone that has the steps fitted?
Not something that I've noticed and had mine for 9 months now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gunner said:
Windrush said:
Not something that I've noticed and had mine for 9 months now.
Not noticed any extra noise either.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts