Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Has anyone happen to have the official Land Rover side step fitting instructions? I have been led to believe that to fit the side steps one needs to first of all insert 'nutserts' into the chassis, to take the side step fixings. It seems rather peculiar that Land Rover don't have these fitted as part of the build, but I guess every penny counts.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the side steps fitted as part of the build so is it maybe dealer specific?
Don't see why any dealer would not fit them since they are an add-on.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Gunner said:
I had the side steps fitted as part of the build so is it maybe dealer specific?
Sure dealers would be happy to fit but at a price.

·
Registered
157 Posts
philn said:
Gunner said:
Are you getting them after market?
I got mine as part of my order and there was no additional charge for fitting them.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Gunner said:
philn said:
Gunner said:
Are you getting them after market?
I got mine as part of my order and there was no additional charge for fitting them.
Fitting is included in price when you order them with the car same as most of the dealer fit accessories on the configurator. Can be ordered from LR as a part cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much are they as a LR part?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Nino, that's really helpful.

I'm not 100% sure I like the style of the current side steps offered by Land Rover, as there are a few aftermarket ones begining to become available. one of which I really like, albeit its core is extruded aluminium, with a polished aluminium front.

But at least I know what I'm up against if I do decide to go the aftermarket route.

Thanks
again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
steve31 said:
How much are they as a LR part?
Circa £750 as a retailer fit accessory...

·
Registered
37 Posts
i am fitting mine tomorrow the kit arrived yesterday and yes nutserts are required indeed they are part of the fitting kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have gone OEM and from looking at the aftermarket steps the fitting kit should be the same so they are all interchangable. Decided to fit myself as it looks like a 1-2 hour job for me max and the cost of the steps delivered was £560 from landrover versus £750 fitted, and 2 me £190 is a lot of moeny if i can do it myself. Car does not even need to be off the ground! MAd flaps were more challenging as they require drilling into a +£40k car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have opted to have the side steps fitted by LR after receiving a better than expected return on the sale of some shares.... Had it not been for this little windfall I think I would have done without....

·
Registered
37 Posts
they just bolt on if you already have brackets fitted. if your car har never had steps fitted its a bit more than a bolt on but not too bad. you will needa rivnut too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Roger said:
they just bolt on if you already have brackets fitted. if your car har never had steps fitted its a bit more than a bolt on but not too bad. you will needa rivnut too.
Mine were ebay steps but did not need the rivnut tool. The rivnuts were hex and the holes in the chassis are already hex. Just push them in and start screwing :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ian5174 said:
Hi thanks for the replies, which site off eBay did you get yours from . Thanks
Mine were from http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131498168956?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
The vendor seems to have several ids with "kingcher" in the name but no issues with the product. The hardest part was getting the lower trim piece off. Fitting the brackets was not too difficult once that was done. The holes didn't quite line up exactly but they were close enough to easily lever up a bit with a screwdriver. I did the whole thing with just a couple of screwdrivers and spanners, although I would have liked to have a trim removal tool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.