Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service light reset on 2017 Discovery Sport 180d

So I serviced the car yesterday, the 4th year 48k service. All good and an easy job until it came to resetting the service indicator. The process of bonnet open, ignition on, door open, press pedals for a minute will not work. Tried it lots of times. The message centre says it's resetting and then reset but on restarting the car the service required message is still there & the miles to next service is 0.

Some background - The last time the car was serviced by the main dealer was 2 years ago. Then 1 year ago I decided to do an interim oil change. At that time the message centre reported 4700 miles to next service. The reset procedure worked but instead of showing 21000 miles to next service it only gave me 10050 miles. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm wondering if the process doesn't really reset the oil dilution algorithms fully?

The car does about 8000 miles/year - a mix of short journeys & long ones pulling a caravan. Never had a dpf warning nor have I seen the oil level rise so I don't think it's diluting by much.

Does anyone know whats going on? Are the days of DIY oil changes finally over? If the counter is not reset will it prevent regens - I read somewhere that once it gets to zero miles it stops regens?

cheers

·
Registered
532 Posts
This vintage of car needs a specific software tool called SDD/Pathfinder to reset the service indicator. You guessed it, a tool that only official dealers and a few independents can afford to buy.
Lots of threads on this forum about this subject. It's a pain in the proverbial.

BB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Seems strange that the process seemed to work last year. Do you know if the regens etc will work or not with the service required message showing?

·
Registered
532 Posts
On mine they do. In fact my 2016 car will accept the manual service reset instructions. But then I have the old style dashboard (it has illuminated 'glass' indices around the dials and a lower resolution display in the middle.
Regens happen every 250miles or so.

BB

·
Registered
83 Posts
glenno said:
Thanks for the reply. Seems strange that the process seemed to work last year. Do you know if the regens etc will work or not with the service required message showing?
same problem as I service my cars myself and have a 2017 model ( MY18 ) - you need to get the dealer or independent with appropriate tool to reset. You can then for your next service do the open boot etc trick to reset to 10500 and after that back to to the dealer....

·
Registered
532 Posts
s7gpt said:
glenno said:
same problem as I service my cars myself and have a 2017 model ( MY18 ) - you need to get the dealer or independent with appropriate tool to reset. You can then for your next service do the open boot etc trick to reset to 10500 and after that back to to the dealer....
You've triggered a thought.
LR rolled out a software fix that split the internal service counters into oil and service intervals. Only on later models with the refreshed dashboard do you have the ability to show these separate counters to the driver.
I wonder if the manual reset instruction will work for the oil service counter but not for main service counter. If you don't know which service is due (because your old style dashboard cannot display this info and only has a generic service required message) then it won't work.

BB

·
Registered
83 Posts
yep, that dam software update I wish I had declined - anyway if anyone knows of a tool that I can plug into the OBD port to do myself that's not too expensive and reading this please let me know ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
s7gpt said:
yep, that dam software update I wish I had declined - anyway if anyone knows of a tool that I can plug into the OBD port to do myself that's not too expensive and reading this please let me know ....
Looking back on old threads it looks like SDD is the only way to reset these counters. Have you got an independent nearby with this kit who you could stick a fiver in the tea caddy with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts