Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to work out whether or not the £499 Service Plan is a good deal or not. Not sure what the 'small print' says. Is it an 'annual' service for 5 years, or is it service up to the limit of 50,000? With the new service interval of 21,000 miles, doing an average of 16,500 miles a year would mean I only get 3 services in.

Or does it mean 'every 21,000 or annually whichever comes first'?

On this page of the LR website it looks like an annual service (up to a max of 50,000).
http://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/service-and-maintenance/new-discovery-sport-approved-service-pack.html

That being the case is £499 a good price for 3 services? About £165 per service doesn't sound too bad.

Need to make a decision soon, its confusing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That web link is out of date for the new engines. For £499 you'll get 2 services at either 21k and 42k miles or 2 year and 4 years whichever comes first. This so called 5 year service plan is no such thing since max you'll get is 4 years.
That said from what I understand it is still cheaper than paying for the 2 services but not anywhere near as good value as the annual service on the older engine

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you are right, that page has been removed from the LR website!

Think I might give the Service Plan a miss unless they come up with something worth having. Means I have £499 more to spend on other options and two years to save up for a service!

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dealer has just quoted me £462 for just the 1st service on the ingenium. Once I add on free Adblue top ups, it starts to make the service plan look like the easy option even though Im quite happy to top up myself, and I probably wont have the car for a 2nd (4th year) service.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
£462 for a service? Daylight robbery! Guess I will have to go with the Service Plan option, get two services, don't imagine I will keep the car for more than 4 years.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stratstone offered the five year plan free with all cars delivered in September it wa that of £500 worth of accesories? Iwent for the free 5 year plan.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On looking again I don't think this webpage is out of date, it specifically states the services all include AdBlue top up, which would only be the case if it applied to the new Ingenium engine vehicles. It specifically states the plan covers 'an annual service for 5 years or 50.000 miles, whichever comes first'. But clearly it applies to the new Discos.

There is no mention of 21,000 miles service intervals.

So yes, averaging 16,000 miles pa you would get 3 services (4 years motoring).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure where this is going but I've looked at my handbook and the service requirements are millage and time based. The vehicle has a service requirement of 12 months or a set millage which ever comes first. Therefore the service plan must I would have thought provide for at least five service visits.

Anyone know otherwise.
Safetyman

·
Registered
107 Posts
safetyman said:
Not sure where this is going but I've looked at my handbook and the service requirements are millage and time based. The vehicle has a service requirement of 12 months or a set millage which ever comes first. Therefore the service plan must I would have thought provide for at least five service visits.

Anyone know otherwise.
Safetyman
Not for new Ingenium engine models, service interval is 21k and 42k miles or 2/4 years as stated previously in this post

·
Registered
146 Posts
andycs said:
Not for new Ingenium engine models, service interval is 21k and 42k miles or 2/4 years as stated previously in this post
How does that work then if you are leasing as they require it to be serviced every 12months as part of the contract.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Would have thought that car should be serviced as per manufacturers instructions and lease would reflect this. LR aren't going to provide extra free services because lease company require them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
philn said:
Would have thought that car should be serviced as per manufacturers instructions and lease would reflect this. LR aren't going to provide extra free services because lease company require them.
I agree and it is something i queried at the time and his reply was it is in the contract to have it serviced every 12 months. But there isn't anything to service at that point as i won't have done the 21k miles. Will have to query them again.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hillwalker said:
Here is the link

http://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/service-and-maintenance/new-discovery-sport-approved-service-pack.html

This specifically mentions Adblue top up, so MUST be referring to Ingenium engines, and it specifically states 12 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months and 60 months as service intervals.

There is no mention of 21,000 miles.

Its there in Black and White.
and that link is clearly WRONG, see post from [email protected] in Customer Relations forum

Hi,

The Plans include Adblue top up at the time of servicing.

The time / mileage quoted is to advise the duration / expiry of the plan. However, for servicing I would advise following your vehicles service schedule, which in the case of the 16MY Discovery Sport with Ingenium engine is every 34,000 km/21,000 miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first).

Many thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will take your word for it, but it isn't 'clearly wrong' if its still on the Land Rover website today.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I agree with hillwalker - website and Pete are saying 2 different things and it's as clear as mud :?

This is typical of my experience over the last 15 years of JLR ownership and reduces my confidence in anything I'm told :evil:

·
Registered
172 Posts
As devils advocate I think LR have 'tried' to write something applicable to all engines but managed to just make things confusing.

The weblink states "The Land Rover Approved Service Plan follows the maintenance schedule specific to your model of Discovery Sport, including all AdBlue® top-ups."

Note the bit about specific to your model.
So if your maintenance needs Adblue, then its included.

It then confuses things further by showing tables for annual services.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Straight from the UK website -

NEW DISCOVERY SPORT SERVICE PLAN

Enjoy complete peace of mind with up to five years* of expert servicing
Presenting the Approved Service Plan. For a one off payment of £499, our service plan covers the next five years or 50,000 miles.* You can also cover 75,000 miles* for £649 if you're planning on seeing even more of the world.

What's included?
The Land Rover Approved Service Plan follows the maintenance schedule specific to your model of Discovery Sport, including all AdBlue® top-ups. Here's a full overview of all the tasks your expert technician will carry out..........
This is clearly for the "NEW" model as stated and it mentions AdBlue to reinforce this - it also lists what will be covered at 12 months, 24 months, etc and when you read the note as per asterisk -

* The Approved Service Plans includes an annual service for five years. All Discovery Sport Approved Service Plans will last for five years or 50,000/75,000 miles (dependant on the Service Plan purchased and whichever comes first).
I will expect an annual service regardless of what is written in the service book or this is misleading advertising IMHO :roll:

Speaking to a local Indy - 2 years is too long to use a complex vehicle like this without at least changing the oil and I agree - the service plan is not a complete service looking at the annual checks carried out - no mention of changing brake fluid, etc as per previous LR vehicles owned :?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If its clearly for the new model, then where is the info for the old model since the run of them still hasnt finished (they can still be bought for another few days at least) and the old service plan can still be bought?

2 year servicing is where all new engines are going. Due to the finely tuned tolerances engine wear is greatly reduced and also due to higher spec oils, your oil doesnt get as dirty/contaminated as quickly and hence only needs replacing every 2 years.

As I said, LR have tried to write something that works for both engines.
The fact that it can be interpreted differently depending on your viewpoint, was the point I was trying to make.
LR fail!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.