Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Has anybody ever seen the "Select gear to maneuver" message displayed in DS' driver instrument panel?

So far it has happened three times in a week. The sequence is like this:
1. Park the DS and keep the engine running.
2. Unbuckle, get out of the DS, and do something for a minute or two.
3. Get in the DS, buckle up, and select a gear.
4. When I select either R or straight to D, a loud and rapid beeping starts, the "Select gear to maneuver" message displayed in the instrument panel, and the letter (R or D) above the rotary gear selector flashes.
5. The beeping and "Select gear to maneuver" message disappear after 10 seconds or so, but the letter (R or D) above the rotary gear selector continues flashing until I select something different in the gear selector.

I tried to take a video from the last incident, but the beeping and "Select gear to maneuver" message disappear before I was able to hit the record button on my phone.

Is this a possible gear box/transmission fault? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Hi dshseus, replicated what you posted above but no message on mine when got back in car and selected D.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
philn said:
Hi dshseus, replicated what you posted above but no message on mine when got back in car and selected D.
Hi philn, thanks for trying it.

Another person from the Canadian DS forum said s/he has seen it before, and s/he believes that has something to do with the Intelligent Stop/Start feature.

I know when the auto stop kicks in and you unbuckle the seatbelt, DS may shut down the engine (Driver Exit feature). I wonder if that is the culprit. I do remember when I was trying to reproduce it, when the message did not display, the engine did shut down when I pressed the brake pedal. I guess when I turn to R or D, the engine happens to turn off at the exact moment and the system gets confused.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
May be right, I turn stop/start off when I get in car so it was running when I got out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the exact same message on Thursday, but I don't know what I did. I think I turned the gear selector quite quickly whilst parking and manoeuvring.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kmatt said:
I had the exact same message on Thursday, but I don't know what I did. I think I turned the gear selector quite quickly whilst parking and manoeuvring.
kmatt - when it happened, did you hear the beeping and the flashing gear indicator light above the rotary selector?

Thanks!

p.s. I did try to "fly" the selector very quickly a few time before, but I could not make it happen in this way.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the beeping and the dash indicator however I don't recall a flashing light on the selector. The car was in D or R, can't remember.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kmatt said:
To clear the message I flicked back to P then back into gear.
For me, the message and the beeping disappear about 10 seconds after, the flashing gear indicator lamp only disappears if I select P gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I am in the USA where I have new 2016 Discovery Sport HSE and experienced the engine not starting after stopping and the message "select gear to maneuver" came on and the transmission select knob was flashing "D".

How many people have reported this issue and is there a fix for this ?

This is quite a safety issue as a car stalling on the road can be quite dangerous.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
On our 2015 US version if:
1. The Auto Start/Stop is active when a full and complete stop made, then #2
2. While the DS has the engine turned off with the auto stop feature and the brake is still fully depressed, then #3
3. The driver proceeds to remove their seatbelt without letting pressure off the brake, then #4
4. The DS will shift itself into park and fully shutoff without touching the shifter knob or pushing the start/stop button.

It's one of those idiot proof features that keep people from getting out of the DS while it is still in drive while paused. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
HSE_LUX said:
On our 2015 US version if:
1. The Auto Start/Stop is active when a full and complete stop made, then #2
2. While the DS has the engine turned off with the auto stop feature and the brake is still fully depressed, then #3
3. The driver proceeds to remove their seatbelt without letting pressure off the brake, then #4
4. The DS will shift itself into park and fully shutoff without touching the shifter knob or pushing the start/stop button.

It's one of those idiot proof features that keep people from getting out of the DS while it is still in drive while paused. :D
Thank you for that safety point HSE_LUX.

My issue was not a seat belt removal nor door opening when I received this message.
I was sitting in the car waiting for the traffic light to change when this happened.
The car did not switch to Park - it stayed in Drive (D) and the transmission selector flashed when I received the message on the instrument cluster (Select Gear to Maneuver)...

So is this another electrical glitch common on LR ?
I hope not as that was a safety concern that could end up with more dire consequences....

·
Registered
80 Posts
4sallypat said:
My issue was not a seat belt removal nor door opening when I received this message.
I was sitting in the car waiting for the traffic light to change when this happened.
The car did not switch to Park - it stayed in Drive (D) and the transmission selector flashed when I received the message on the instrument cluster (Select Gear to Maneuver)...

So is this another electrical glitch common on LR ?
I hope not as that was a safety concern that could end up with more dire consequences....
Sounds like a system malfunction. Definitely take it in to your dealer and have them check the system for any error codes, something should show up. Also have them install any outstanding system updates while you have it in (a good dealer will do this automatically without you asking them). There have been several system software updates uploaded by our dealer since we took delivery of our DS at the beginning of last year and we have never had what you described happen, yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello all - has the above been sorted and how?

I have experienced this issue 3 times by now... 2 out of 3, unbucle and got out of car.. when back in, did not engage the gear.... However the first time tha happend was at traffic lights and i dont think i have done anything other than having the auto on/off.

Please let me know if your dealer has fixed it. Mine is due for check up on 05/04...
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

Just to update you on my case. Car went in and they could see a fault on their computer (when plugged in).

According to LR, they needed to update the gearbox and engine management system which they did. I am hoping that the problem is sorted.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I had wha 4sallypat described at a busy roundabout. I selected neutral and reselected drive and that was it, but it's worrying. The cars only a couple of weeks old and was only built 26th February, so I would imagine it has the latest software.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree is worrying. Mine was built on 21/01. LR dealer was confident that he found the issue and is sorted.

In any case, i will be monitoring and if it comes back, i will return back to the dealer being more aggressive.

I will try to stay positive - i trust they were honest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Select gear to manoeuvre happened to me this morning when I was in queuing traffic (D was selected) I believe it was because the Start/Stop activated but as it activated I released the brake as the traffic started moving, I put the car into Park and then tried to rotate the dial to Drive but it wouldn't rotate, I had to switch the engine off and back on to re-set the system and all has been fine since. Looks like there must be some software `gremlins` between the gearbox and the `intelligent` Stop/Stop.

In the 6 weeks of ownership this is the first issue I have had with the car - other than an electronic speed limiter being left on by the dealer - set at 44mph not good when join a dual carriageway with everyone else doing 70mph plus! This was a return to the dealer within 15 minutes of picking the car up, all sorted within 5 minutes with a very apologetic sales person!

I have had no rattles, no problems with cruise control, no other issues with the gearbox - no lag as mentioned by others loving the car just something to keep an eye on - or just turn Start/Stop off!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Mr Golly said:
The Select gear to manoeuvre happened to me this morning when I was in queuing traffic (D was selected) I believe it was because the Start/Stop activated but as it activated I released the brake as the traffic started moving, I put the car into Park and then tried to rotate the dial to Drive but it wouldn't rotate, I had to switch the engine off and back on to re-set the system and all has been fine since. Looks like there must be some software `gremlins` between the gearbox and the `intelligent` Stop/Stop.

In the 6 weeks of ownership this is the first issue I have had with the car - other than an electronic speed limiter being left on by the dealer - set at 44mph not good when join a dual carriageway with everyone else doing 70mph plus! This was a return to the dealer within 15 minutes of picking the car up, all sorted within 5 minutes with a very apologetic sales person!

I have had no rattles, no problems with cruise control, no other issues with the gearbox - no lag as mentioned by others loving the car just something to keep an eye on - or just turn Start/Stop off!
Still not good on a new car, you shouldn't have ANY issues.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts