Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe how rubbish the sat nav on the sport is,haveing used various models from dirt cheap to the more expensive this has to be the worst.
I tow a caravan so decided on a secondary device but because of the make up of the windscreen it will not pick up an external signal,shame really rest of car is fine (oh apart from the waste of space 3rd row seats.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Odd - my old Streetpilot III had problems with heated screens, and the like, so I had a "kojak" mag-mount antenna i'd slap on the roof. But since I got a more modern unit, I've never had a problem in any car. Not, admittedly, tried it in the DS. I must admit, there are shortcomings to the satnav but i don't understand the degree of antipathy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
headache said:
I cant believe how rubbish the sat nav on the sport is,haveing used various models from dirt cheap to the more expensive this has to be the worst.
I tow a caravan so decided on a secondary device but because of the make up of the windscreen it will not pick up an external signal,shame really rest of car is fine (oh apart from the waste of space 3rd row seats.
Could not agree more with you, in goes the post code, only to find you get a fast or shortest option, oh and eco, what ever that is, surely shortest and fastest are the same, and every time l use it, and l do alot just testing it on roads l know, it always wants to take you on a narrow road some where. I am towing my caravan up to Balbernie Caravan Park at Markinch Fife on Sunday, because the sat nav is so bad, l am taking my Mio unit with me and also my own route via google. Oh boy don't l miss the old sat nav in my Freelander. This unit is great on main roads, just don't turn off when it tells you, when you do come off, best to turn unit off and listen to radio or wife advising me on all the bad decisions l have made in my life and this one being the worst. If she only knew what my brain was thinking
regards tony

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
headache said:
Total agreement incl 3rd row - why could we not have had the 5 seat, the ROW did.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I don't mind if it doesn't give me the optimal route coz I can review what it';s doing and ignore where and when I please (unlike when "self drive cars" com along). What pees me off is when you put in a post code and it doesn'tjust go there, it asks for a house number!

Say you want to meet someone at The FIve Bells in Stanbridge. You've never been there, but you have the post code, which is LU7 9JF - so you say find me post code LU7 9JF and it says yep, got that, give me a house number. What? If you don't give it one, it gives up altogether. You cant put "the five bells". So you put "1" and... gosh, a UK post code is such a small area that there isn't a number 1 in the area in question. So you have to keep guessing. IN this case, "9" did it. But in a town the street might run up to 800 houses, and will probably have 25 post codes. You'll be there all day guessing a house number if all you have is a house name or a business name. If I put in a post code, I want to be able to skip the house number and just go to the area of the post code. My problem if that's not close enough! If I put in a town name, I don't want to have to give it a street, just take me to the town centre or better yet, the nearest edge of town, like my last car's NavTEQ unit would.

·
Registered
381 Posts
ccomley said:
I don't mind if it doesn't give me the optimal route coz I can review what it';s doing and ignore where and when I please (unlike when "self drive cars" com along). What pees me off is when you put in a post code and it doesn'tjust go there, it asks for a house number!

Say you want to meet someone at The FIve Bells in Stanbridge. You've never been there, but you have the post code, which is LU7 9JF - so you say find me post code LU7 9JF and it says yep, got that, give me a house number. What? If you don't give it one, it gives up altogether. You cant put "the five bells". So you put "1" and... gosh, a UK post code is such a small area that there isn't a number 1 in the area in question. So you have to keep guessing. IN this case, "9" did it. But in a town the street might run up to 800 houses, and will probably have 25 post codes. You'll be there all day guessing a house number if all you have is a house name or a business name. If I put in a post code, I want to be able to skip the house number and just go to the area of the post code. My problem if that's not close enough! If I put in a town name, I don't want to have to give it a street, just take me to the town centre or better yet, the nearest edge of town, like my last car's NavTEQ unit would.
I hear what you are saying about voice entry requiring a house number with a post code, however if you manually type in a post code it doesn't ask for a house number, a possible if not great solution to your problem.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hear what you are saying about voice entry requiring a house number with a post code, however if you manually type in a post code it doesn't ask for a house number, a possible if not great solution to your problem.[/quote]

Bugger, so it isn't even consistent. Typing anything on the touch screen is a pain coz it's out of arm reach, and doubly difficult when you're bumping along. (Even smooth roads are bumpy, as you soon find otu if you're trying to hit a letter...)

Am beginning to think the whole touch screen thing is a bit of a gimmick. i'ts a lot quicker to use the point-and-shoot knob on her Merc and my old Astra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had my DS for 2 weeks in Australia and have found no problems with the sat nav. Admittedly I don't try to program it whilst driving but it does Make me wonder how people see over the bonnet if they can't reach the touch screen!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not happy with satnav.

After typing in postcode, where is there no option for house number or street ? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My old tomtom is better than the ds sat nav in every respect. Main problem is route selection (prefers single track lanes here in devon) but it is also useless in every other respect! I will not bore you with the endless list of its failings.

You will need to attach an aerial to a replacement sat nav as the screen stops GPS signals reaching the dashboard area.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No way I can bring myself to attach a tomtom to a £45k car.

However, yesterday I used Google maps on my android phone and the instructions came through via blutooth perfectly.

Far from ideal however

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not mine. As soon as I select a postcode, it starts the route calculation. No further options to add / amend road or house number.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine only needs the post code to start navigating ... however it does not know all postcodes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.