Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided not to buy one DS but two for our company. We travel long distances and then have to drive through muddy tracks, not super tough conditions but muddy enough for a Q5, for example, not to cope well (well, not to cope at all) with them.

But after reading through the different problems that you guys are exposing here, particularly all those vehicles in quarantine, and the waiting for the new Ingenium engines (which are the ones we want), we are having second thoughts about acquiring the DS.

Some of the problems mentioned here are:

- 2nd row electric release off fault.
- Stop start problem.
- Infotainment Major Fault.
- Noise from central console at certain speed.
- Bonnet touching the lamps

I am aware of the fact that there are owners that have not suffered these faults and probably have not suffered any faults at all.

So, my question here is what would be the percentage of "faulty" cars? Because reading the forum it seems as if the DS is not a reliable car at all, or at least, at the moment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had mine for 2 weeks, and I think it's a great car. Mine was supposedly affected by the 2nd row electric release, but got delivered before the quarantine notice. It has caused me Zero problems. The stop / start is not a problem at all, it takes time for people to adjust to it. I found it a bit unusual at first, but within 2 weeks it is second nature.

The infotainment Major fault is reported by one user. I am not clear what the fault is, but seems that they have a technical problem.

I don't have any squeaks or noises, and I have checked the bonnet, and it doesn't touch the headlamps.

The problem with forums like this, is that it is human nature to report problems, in the hope that someone else can help. If you were purchasing your car 6 months after release, and you were a member of this forum, it is quite likely that any problems that you encounter will have been mentioned on here and you will not complain about them.

From a driving point of view, I have moved from a Disco 4 to the Disco Sport, and the Sport is a better drive. My local roads seem to be developing potholes, and I have had to drive through a few. In the 4, I would have cringed as I hit them, as the suspension complained and the car shook. The Sport seems to glide over them smoothly. It feels solid and responsive, and does exactly what I need it to. I have not taken it off road, but I am heading to the Alps on Friday for a week's skiing, and knowing that I have an extremely capable off-roader is very reassuring.

I am really pleased with my purchase, and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Have you tried a test drive, or asked your dealer to lend you one for a couple of days? I think it will be extremely beneficial.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure that trawling a forum during a brand new vehicle launch will give you a fair idea of the car, but I will say this. An unbelievable effort has been made on the 'war on warranty' on this vehicle line ever since its inception. It will be the most reliable JLR product, no problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot TheGate and L550 for your replies. I love the car, I tested one a month ago although for a short period of time(15 mins), so not enough to find any of these problems that have been reported here.

It is great to read your report TheGate, I think we need more positive reports here so readers like myself get a fair view of the car.

·
Registered
677 Posts
There not reliability issues just new build niggles, always a chance you take with the first ones. My ones been in quarantine and it's finally good to go on Friday. Can't wait.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have also had mine for just under 2 weeks and is on the reported VIN number range to be affected by the 2nd row seat problem.

The car is absolutely excellent and I have no issues with it at all. The build quality of the car seems very good and it feels very solid. The drive is great.

As for the problems discussed on the forum, I haven't had any of them myself. I have a Manual gearbox so the Stop/Start feels totally intuitive to me.

I expect new model niggles and will take things as they come. In the end I got what I wanted, to be one of the first to have Land Rover's stylish successful car and to enjoy the increased tech, luxury and drivability over my 8 year old Freelander2.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think some users of this forum need to calm down a bit!

Yes, if you read all the problems listed here you could be forgiven for thinking the new DS is a complete disaster, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes there have been some initial manufacturing issues with a certain VIN range, probably caused by some dodgy parts from a third party supplier. But, LR have taken responsible action to ensure the affected cars aren't released until it's resolved. Annoying for those affected yes, proof the DS is a lemon, no!

As for the seemingly myriad problems posted by new owners. Please remember these are new owners, getting used to their new cars with all their new tech. Some problems will indeed be genuine, others will prove to be nothing more than 'user error'.

When I bought my first BMW with 'start-stop' it felt very strange for a while, like the car wasn't performing properly, but I got used to it. Then my wife recently bought an Audi automatic with 'start-stop', and even though we'd both driven manuals with 'start-stop' for years, this again was different, and a little weird! But, we got used to it.

For those of you doubting your decision to order a DS, please, take some time to Google phrases like, 'Land Rover Discover Sport faults/problems/delays/recalls', see what you get.
I've just tried it, and apart from a small article in the Liverpool Echo referring to Halewood, you'll get nothing.

If these issues were endemic, if the new DS was riddled with issues don't you think the Internet and motoring press would be all over it?

I'm picking mine up on Friday and I can't wait. I have complete confidence that I will love the car. I went into this with my eyes open, knowing that early adopters always take a small risk.

Take a step back, look beyond the forum, things are not as bad as you might think!

·
Registered
91 Posts
HAd mine two weeks and ould mirror all comments made by 'thegate'...everything is great....apart from the fact that some moronic maggot brained dog turd has keyed my bonnet :evil:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Freeway said:
We have decided not to buy one DS but two for our company. We travel long distances and then have to drive through muddy tracks, not super tough conditions but muddy enough for a Q5, for example, not to cope well (well, not to cope at all) with them.

But after reading through the different problems that you guys are exposing here, particularly all those vehicles in quarantine, and the waiting for the new Ingenium engines (which are the ones we want), we are having second thoughts about acquiring the DS.

Some of the problems mentioned here are:

- 2nd row electric release off fault.
- Stop start problem.
- Infotainment Major Fault.
- Noise from central console at certain speed.
- Bonnet touching the lamps

I am aware of the fact that there are owners that have not suffered these faults and probably have not suffered any faults at all.

So, my question here is what would be the percentage of "faulty" cars? Because reading the forum it seems as if the DS is not a reliable car at all, or at least, at the moment.
The only person that can make that decision is you. There are other cars you can choose from but sounds like you want the Land Rover

·
Registered
138 Posts
Get a weekend test drive....

·
Registered
506 Posts
mattrix299 got it spot on. These are brilliant cars and they are trying to ensure that they are as perfect as possible before releasing them. All manufacturers of cars have issues, not just at introduction of a new model, but throughout their entire production life. Some are more honest and up-front about it than others, and JLR have put their hands up to this problem. No matter how many thousands of miles a new model is tested over in all terrains and climate zones, some things will not manifest themselves until later. In this case it's probably a hiccup over a defective batch of a part or incorrect assembly or adjustment.

I've just spent a day in my loaned DS and absolutely loved it, and it's mine until my own car is released.

My dealer lets you test drive alone over several hours or overnight, so you can get to know the product and appreciate it's virtues. This lets you evaluate it in your own 'comfort' zone without a severe time limit and a salesman talking in your ear. This also shows their confidence that the car will sell itself.

As Peter79 says
Get a weekend test drive....

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Even with the strange issue i have, I am sticking with JLR, its like a good wine, there are cheaper out there and maybe you have to look after it a bit more, but it is worth it.
I would be just bored with anything else.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Followed an X3 and Q5 today and they looked very boring. Glad I didn't go in either of those directions!

·
Registered
36 Posts
If everyone measured the desirability of a car based on faults and recalls, based on the last couple or so years of recalls, no one would ever a Toyota :lol:

Of course, a new product will have some teething problems and, despite all the money spent to test (and from the consumers perspective, buy) a car, faults in the early days of a highly complex electro-mechanical machine are to be expected.

I have to say, though, from reading many other posts (and especially poor Moose's saga of the audit strip down), where JLR and their dealers have fallen down is in communicating delays to their customers. Customers, in general, will accept a huge amount of "problems" if you just keep them informed.

The lack of respect JLR have shown to their customers is shameful.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It certainly seems pot luck on the experience, but I can only say that apart from the one week embargo for BARF, which was out of the control of my dealer, my experience has been very positive. Obviously some dealers need a refresher course in customer care. 10/10 to Roger Young!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts