Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the front seats very uncomfortable. The main problem seems to be that the headrest angles my head forward slightly which means that my body is not in a natural / comfortable posture. My wife has exactly the same issue. It feels like it would be fine if the headrest was a couple of degrees reclined, but of course there is no adjustment. I've fiddled with the seat settings endlessly, but seem to be at the conclusion that this is the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. Sigh.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Try lowering the headrest? Not too far - it needs to provide enough support to prevent whiplash (that's it's main function really.)

·
Registered
329 Posts
marklad2020 said:
I've fiddled with the seat settings endlessly, but seem to be at the conclusion that this is the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven. Sigh.....
Do you mean you just assumed the car would be ok and spent the money without actually making sure it worked ok for you? We're all different, I find the seats fine, as does everyone else that has travelled in it. Seems strange something so uncomfortable wouldn't have been apparent when you extensively tried out the car before you brought it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The seats are fine to me.

I've never had electric seats before, so I find it takes a while for me to get the right position, but once it's done it's like sitting on the sofa.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the more you think about how uncomfy it is , the more you will feel it. our body and brain can adapt to a lot of thing if you relax and give it time.
may be try to do some active coping strategy / problem solving such as putting a sheepskin backrest cover or something to thicken the backrest up so your neck can tilt back a bit.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Seats are a touch too firm, but still comfy (I have the 10 way) not had a prob with headrest however.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have no problem with the seats - except I'm wishing I'd taken memory - we have it in the SLK and it saves a lot of hassle. She's short, needs the seat right forwads and up. With memory, flipping between our two preferred settings is one button. As it is, after she's been driving, it can take me 50 miles to get mine just right again. Also, I didn't realise t hat not taking memory meant not being able to adjust the seat tilt at *all*. Cheapskates. You spend £6k on a car, you might get a few things that are annoying or just not there. When you spend £40k, it's quite irritating, to say the least, to keep finding things that are not happening as you would expect, especially as you know they did it that way on purpose just to try to get even more money out of you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
we need to accept the fact that no chair / car seat in the world will fit 100% of the population so there will be exception

·
Registered
95 Posts
papayacheng said:
the more you think about how uncomfy it is , the more you will feel it. our body and brain can adapt to a lot of thing if you relax and give it time.
may be try to do some active coping strategy / problem solving such as putting a sheepskin backrest cover or something to thicken the backrest up so your neck can tilt back a bit.
Hey papayacheng,
I like your approach and think this is a solid piece of advice.

When I chose my SE my wife and I test drove an HSE luxury demonstrator and both agreed we weren't going to specify the 10 way seats. As those seats still were miles off the seats in our ex Citroen C5 exclusive, we were fine sticking to the basic ones. We did talk about upgrading for about a week though.
So focusing on what this car is particularly good at is probably a great idea.

Have a good weekend!
Martin

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agree with several observations here:
(1) individuals will have different requirements regarding comfort - personally I find the front seats supremely comfortable
(2) you do need to be careful with the spec of demonstrators - we wanted an auto so initially test drove the HSE Lux demo and found the seats great; however we couldn't afford that level of spec so also asked to test drive a SE Tech (albeit a manual) just so that we could check out the seats; however, we discovered that even this had the 8 way adjustable electric seats which aren't "standard"; since we wanted lumbar adjustment we paid extra for the 8 way adjustable seats so knew exactly what we were getting (I baulked at the huge premium of the 10-way/memory seats :eek: )
(3) what often appears a small/minor observation can build into a major headache (literally) over time
(4) I do sort of agree though - I felt the headrests were quite forward in the cheaper seats; fine adjustments finally got me to the comfort I required (in the test drive so before I parted with such a large wad of cash)

However, at the end of the day comfort, for me, is one of the crucial factors in the purchase decision so always insist (as above) on a test in the seats spec that I am buying and for a long enough test too.

I guess as with all things it is sadly a case of caveat emptor

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Issue only really becomes apparant after 30 mins, and I wasn't really looking out for it at the begining having never felt uncomfortable in a car seat for the past 25 years of driving.

Think I might have alighted on the problem though - we tend to have the seats quite high up (since then it feels more like the old FL2 driving position), and the problem feels less pronounced when the seat is lower. Except then it feels a bit more car like and less SUV like.

So I think we can live with that - at least until the Diso 5 goes on sale..

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've found I have to have my seat bottomed out anyway to be able to see under that monstrosity that is the rear view mirror / stereo camera setup. :-D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've just been a bit shocked to find this problem on my newly-arrived DS. I find the front of the driver's seat far too firm and tilted upwards. The test drives I had were fine but were both in cars with full leather seats, which have an adjustable angle to the seat base so I must have dipped it down to get comfy. It never occurred to me the part-leather seats in my SE Tech would not have the same adjustment (this is a premium vehicle, right?). So I am now struggling to find a comfortable position. I guess sitting as low as possible is probably the best solution but I don't really want to since a high driving position is part of the point of a car like this surely? I can't think of much else to try without resorting to a separate cushion - unless anyone has a scrap full leather drivers seat going :(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.