Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moaned on here just after receiving my beautiful DS in March, about the fact that the seat belt height does not adjust. A silly niggle I know, but damn annoying when your neck is constantly marked, or you are always having to pull it away from your throat as you drive. It is also very embarassing arriving at meetings with what looks like a love bite on your neck! I had to brake hard the other day and it pulled straight across my throat and really hurt, I have no doubt that if involved in an accident I will be seriously hurt by the seat belt. The lovely guys at Listers thought it may be possible to fit an adjustable seat belt as they are fitted to all other land rovers, but the engineers at Land Rover have said it is not possible. Rospa say seat belts must go over the shoulder to be safe and not around the neck. The DS has a 5 star ENCAP rating yet Land Rover tell me they cannot say I am safe in this vehicle due to the lack of adjustment in the seat belt to ensure it fits correctly. Land Rover customer services say I should take the vehicle back for a full refund! I have brought an attachment for the seat belt to alter the alignment but it says NOT for use by adults and I am advised that it would render my insurance void if I was involved in an accident. I cannot use cushions as this will lift me away from the pedals. Please note whilst I am petite at 5'3" I am not terribly tiny and this is my thrid landrover, I have never had a problem before. When my DS went in for repair (it had to have a replacement radio as it would not store the radio stations) I had a huge normal Discovery as a courtesy vehicle, the seats and seat belts all adjusted greatly and it was extremely comfortable - so in this case my size really doesnt matter! So why does the DS not have adjustable seat belt height? I'm sorry to moan but any advice is much appreciated, including if you have an idea for a different vehicle if I have to take it back. Many thanks. Extremely sad face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Not knowing how far out of alignment it is, would seat belt pads help the mark on the neck? At 5'9, I can still feel the belt on my neck if I don't have a collar on. I use the pads in another car and it doesn't impair the function of the seatbelt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
I presume adjusting the seat height doesn't help enough? Sorry to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,167 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. My wife is just about 5' but fortunately has a relatively long torso so the belt position was just about OK during our test drive.

We used to have a BMW 1 series which also had no height adjuster and that was a disaster for her.

The reason that LR don't fit a seat belt adjustment mechanism is certainly down to cost savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Den said:
I moaned on here just after receiving my beautiful DS in March, about the fact that the seat belt height does not adjust. A silly niggle I know, but damn annoying when your neck is constantly marked, or you are always having to pull it away from your throat as you drive. It is also very embarassing arriving at meetings with what looks like a love bite on your neck! I had to brake hard the other day and it pulled straight across my throat and really hurt, I have no doubt that if involved in an accident I will be seriously hurt by the seat belt. The lovely guys at Listers thought it may be possible to fit an adjustable seat belt as they are fitted to all other land rovers, but the engineers at Land Rover have said it is not possible. Rospa say seat belts must go over the shoulder to be safe and not around the neck. The DS has a 5 star ENCAP rating yet Land Rover tell me they cannot say I am safe in this vehicle due to the lack of adjustment in the seat belt to ensure it fits correctly. Land Rover customer services say I should take the vehicle back for a full refund! I have brought an attachment for the seat belt to alter the alignment but it says NOT for use by adults and I am advised that it would render my insurance void if I was involved in an accident. I cannot use cushions as this will lift me away from the pedals. Please note whilst I am petite at 5'3" I am not terribly tiny and this is my thrid landrover, I have never had a problem before. When my DS went in for repair (it had to have a replacement radio as it would not store the radio stations) I had a huge normal Discovery as a courtesy vehicle, the seats and seat belts all adjusted greatly and it was extremely comfortable - so in this case my size really doesnt matter! So why does the DS not have adjustable seat belt height? I'm sorry to moan but any advice is much appreciated, including if you have an idea for a different vehicle if I have to take it back. Many thanks. Extremely sad face.
How was the test drive though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Den said:
Land Rover customer services say I should take the vehicle back for a full refund!
They are right. This is a classic case of miss-selling. You had requirements from the product, which you explained, and the product you have been sold does not meet those requirements.The dealer acknowledges as much because they have tried and failed to produce a solution. Very simple, the product does not meet your needs as described to the seller and therefore you are within your rights to return it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments folks. The seat is at its highest point, I spend ages trying to readjust it up, down, back and fore but nothing makes a difference. I have noticed I sit in a very odd sideways manner in order to keep it off my neck as long as possible, but obviously this is not a good thing to do. I have looked at seat belt pads but they dont re-align the seat belt just add bulk to the throat area and make it less scratchy but no more comfortable. I didn't get to test drive a DS before ordering as my Freelander finance deal was due to end in March 2015 and they contacted me to advise that they were not going to make them any longer. They suggested the DS and were able to show me the brochure but as it was a 6 month delivery we placed the order without ever seeing one. I dont like the evoque and think the Range Rover Sport is a bit pricey considering I do very few miles so the DS was the only choice and I did love the Freelander and liked the look of the DS. The dealership rang me in January to say a demo vehicle had come in that day and if I could get there I could have a 15 minute slot to look at and drive it, I drove it for about 5 mins as they were rushing to get it to another dealership, so I have to be honest I didnt spend long looking at the seating position and never even considered that it wouldnt adjust. As soon as I collected it at the end of March I realised the problem and after 2 weeks I contacted the dealership, they hadnt realised it did not have adjustable height seat belts and were amazed. Since then LR have fobbed me off and I'm sure they see me as whinging about something very minor. I see their point but its really causing me problems - its sad because I love the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
One of my big bug bares of the DS, I'm getting used to it but it's not great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Aren't we a load of moaners when we are only spending £40000/£50000 on a car and expect to be able to adjust the height of the seatbelts!!!!!!!!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that is what hurts so much philn, I bought a very expensive vehicle, from a luxury car dealer, but without even the bog standard in this car. They assure me that all car manufacturers are now discarding the adjustable seat belts, apparantly all new JLR vehicles will just have a fixed seat belt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Even a VW Polo has a seat belt adjustment. Given the price tag of my HSE with many extras, I would also liked to have seen a roll-in luggage net for the boot. Maybe they should have increased the entry-level price of the DS and incorporated some of the basics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,159 Posts
Den said:
I think that is what hurts so much philn, I bought a very expensive vehicle, from a luxury car dealer, but without even the bog standard in this car. They assure me that all car manufacturers are now discarding the adjustable seat belts, apparantly all new JLR vehicles will just have a fixed seat belt.
Surely when they are planning a new model they ask a group of owners what they require, can't believe anyone on the "panel" would have said no seat belt height adjustment or a sat nav with no town names on it to quote just 2 among several ommissions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
philn said:
Den said:
I think that is what hurts so much philn, I bought a very expensive vehicle, from a luxury car dealer, but without even the bog standard in this car. They assure me that all car manufacturers are now discarding the adjustable seat belts, apparantly all new JLR vehicles will just have a fixed seat belt.
Surely when they are planning a new model they ask a group of owners what they require, can't believe anyone on the "panel" would have said no seat belt height adjustment or a sat nav with no town names on it to quote just 2 among several ommissions.
They will have asked exactly that but they'll also have asked what customers would value most, other questions to indicate perceived value, ranking of features in order of importance, playing one feature's value and perceived value against another etc etc. They've done a good job because they have got you believing that you're buying into a premium and luxury product due to perceived brand values, perceived product position, aspiration etc etc and they've done that without needing to provide height adjustable seat belts, thereby improving profit. Well done LR. Nothing wrong with any of that, you pays your money and makes your choice.

Yes, cheaper cars have many of the same features and more, so what are you paying for - brand and brand/product USP. Porsche have been making the biggest profits in the car industry for years. Their brand is still strong and they've only just introduced full postcode satnav! Did they rush to introduce it worried about loss of sales - no. Will LR have calculated the benefit to them of no seat belt height adjustment vs the potential loss of sales vs the impact on perceived brand values- yes, and that's why there's no seat belt height adjustment (yet).

As for town names on the sat nav - that's just a f**k up, lack of product development feedback loop working properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Personally find the lack of seat belt adjustment a bigger issue than satnav city names on display. Surely we are all build differently so a seatbelt that is unsafe or outright painful to use can't be right - at any pricepoint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
My wife is 5'1", and struggles with the lack of seat belt adjustment, as it rests across her neck. Okay on short journeys but finds it uncomfortable if driving for any length of time. I'd hate to see what would happen in an accident!
LR should seriously consider reintroducing seat belt adjustment on the DS, and provide a retrofit. Besides the majority of us have the dreded B pillar rattle which I presume is the loose bolt that should have been holding the adjuster on!
But seriously come on LR you are missing some fundamentals here on vehicle safety! They could even fix it when our DSs are in the body shop to fix the B pillar rattle. Other LRs have them so it shouldn't be to difficult to engineer it.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top