Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my HSE, but after having an SE (also manual gear change, with 20" wheels) on loan for over a week, I am not sure that the HSE is worth the additional money, ok the seats are full leather, but I actually think the part leather in the SE are more comfortable, the ride seems to be a bit smoother, and the gear changes seem to be smoother. At first I convinced myself that it was my imagination, but since getting my HSE back, there is a noticeable difference between the SE and the HSE, especially with regards to the seat comfort, maybe the full leather will soften a bit with use.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I found that when I went from driving my 13MY Fl2 with full leather to my D4 with cloth seats, they were a bit more comfy.

The smoother ride will be down to the 18" wheels, can't explain the gear changes though.

I'm happy to stick with my HSE

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I had the same dilemma but in the end I ordered the HSE because residuals will be better imho when I change :?

Just look at used prices for FL2 or any LR for that matter - used buyers want toys so will keep prices higher.

I considered lowered specs but swmbo wanted panoramic roof and adding things like that as options is expensive and when you come to change dealer will give nothing for them - I've been there before :evil:

Lowest I would of gone was se tech but I couldn't view or drive one or an se and cost of panoramic roof pushed prices up which is dead money on px.

As J77 says ride will be down to difference in alloys size.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Go through the "what's in each model" chart and check out each entry where HSE has what SE does not. We did that for SE, HSE, and HSE Lux. We ended up with HSE coz it had enough stuff we did want over the SE, but the Lux didn't have anything additional we were prepared to pay another 4k for.

Smoothness of ride is probably down to wheel size. I don't understand the fascination with bigger and bigger wheels, with thinner and thinner tyres. Stick to 19" rather than 20" wheels for a smoother ride and handling still excellent on road. And you're far less likely to kerb-scrape an alloy!

I can't think why gear-change would be any different, and assume that's something with the individual car rather than the range.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd say ccomly is spot on, I looked at and priced up SE Tech, HSE and HSE Lux. Wrote off the Lux almost immediately as I didn't want or need any of it's meagre additions, and the price jump was daft.

Original favourite was SE Tech, but when essentials (for me) were added, it was very close to HSE, and HSE had even more things (that I didn't need) that rounded it off. On resale the HSE with a few additions will always be worth far more than an SE Tech with many additions. The SE Tech specced with all of the HSE options would also have cost more than the HSE.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just noticed you say the SE had optional 20" alloys. It's a strange one.

HSE made more sense to me, by the time I specced an SE Tech it was only a couple of pound under standard HSE.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The optional extras transform the DS from a relatively inexpensive car into a ridiculously priced vehicle. For a few thousand more, I could have had the Discovery - but I wanted the "fresh" design. When I look at the final price tag (and the relatively mediocre quality) of my HSE, I am not entirely sure it is worth it. Some of the plastic "bits" just look cheap compared to the competition. Let's see what it looks like after one or two years on the road.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Beast
There's now't for now't in this life - certainly not with cars - so to me personally the extras are a waste of my hard-earned cash.
The difference between 'my' specced SE Tech and the HSE was only £1670 as opposed to their start prices which were £3700 apart. My extra £1670 got me £3145 of goodies and the higher model. Money well spent IMHO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting comments/views, and I have to agree, so I feel a lot happier with my HSE now, cheers. Also I spoke to the service manager, and there should be no difference (between each model) with the ride, or gear change, so its booked in to investigate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disco said:
many may disagree with me, but just for the panoramic roof and full leather seats, I would stick with my HSE. and doesn't SE not have armrest???
Hi, just thinking about getting a DS and was intending to go for the SE but have just seen your post re no armrest. The brochure I was given yesterday on p45 shows "centre console with sliding armrest" as standard but there's a picture on P 60 showing a vehicle interior with no armrest! An earlier brochure also shows a picture of an SE with no armrest and yet the tables of standard/optional features in that brochure shows the armrest as standard. Does anyone know for sure what the position is? Is the brochure telling porkies?

Keith

·
Registered
76 Posts
my SE tech has the armrest. Obviously it's down to personal choice but i'm really happy with mine, i cant think of anything that i feel I'm missing on this that the HSE would have.
I may have upgraded to HSE if it wasn't such a price jump, the SE to SE tech was a small jump for what you got. It didn't help my case when the mrs said she flat out didn't want a glass roof!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yes Chris, I also have gone for SE Tech but with the glass roof. I am currently in a Sportage with the panoramic roof and feel I would miss the bright airy feel. Also took reversing camera, still expecting Mid Sept. Delivery!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.