Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all from Adelaide, Australia.

I haven't got my DS SD4 HSE yet (due here early Dec) and the dealer here in Adelaide hasn't cared to answer emails over the last 2.5 months about my car so I'm actually pretty disappointed with their service and follow up. They of course are pretty keen to take an order but have been very very thin on contact since then. Is this a world wide problem? Enough bitching... Anyway, that doesn't deter me from still being keen to get my DS.

Question to the forum...

Can anyone advise me if it is possible to add your "own" POIs to the SD Card Navigation System (NOT THE Meridian HDD System)? I have had other cars with a similar SD Card system and been able to load my own POIs straight into the POI directory on the card.
Is it possible? Has anyone done it yet? If so how or is there any special problem they encountered?

Cheers to all, hope mine arrives soon!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
It seems to be a common failing - LR sales droids are complete boot-lickers until you sign then they can't be arsed. They don't really care if you cancel because the order books are always full. Which leaves you withnot much you can do sadly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a real pain this doesn't work. It looks like the one we all have is just a new GUI look and feel. It's pretty much the same under the hood. So why is this so hard ?

·
Registered
533 Posts
One quick question...

If you could load your own POI's... where would you expect to put them? on the SD card that has the maps?
It's just that then the system would have to deal with this extra data when you try to update the maps. Possible, but I can see why it would be a faff.
The SD cards will be of a known capacity, each map update will be packaged to fit within this capacity. If the user can add their own stuff then it won't work.

Perhaps it will come with time... TomTom sorted this years ago.
Some good news is it would be a software update from JLR not an entire new head unit or having to buy next years model of vehicle as it would have been in the past.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi BobbyBox
In the past with other vehicles I have had, Renault, Citroen, VW, I have been able to add additional POIs into the data stored on the factory supplied SD Cards, normally this went into a sub-directory called POI with no trouble at all. The files needed are very very small.
The point or question I was asking, is, has anyone done this on the new DS SD Card nav system, or can anyone advise me the directory structure on the SD Card etc.
If you can read the card, you can generally also write to it, of course a backup is advised in case it becomes corrupt.
Just as an aside I have also applied the same types of changes to after-market Navman, Garmin and TomTom systems with no problems at all.
Cheers

·
Registered
829 Posts
Are personal addresses also stored on the SD card?
How about phone contacts?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, KaikouraDiscoSport

I understand that with most systems there is a some storage "built in". I currently have a Citroen DS5 and every time I get into the car my "contacts" are loaded into the systems (or at least I get a message saying they have been loaded). This would show that they are stored in a TEMP file within the system (I have never seen any info that says GPS units store addresses from phone contacts. There have never been "addresses" from my phone contacts transferred or stored anywhere other than on the phone. The only addresses stored on the GPS units are those that you program in when you want directions (this would also support the notion that the units (not the SD cards have some built in storage), all the systems I have used, have the ability to "clear" previous directions or addresses that you put in.

With most GPS systems (after market and built in) you can access the files and see the directory structure either on the units (like TomTom, Garmin, Navman, etc.) or SD cards (from individual built in car manufacturer's systems e.g. Renault, Citroen, VW taken out and inserted into computer), in fact my Renault (RS265) system was a system that had direct updates etc supplied by logging into the TomTom web site.

As mentioned, I have always been able to go on-line and download "updates - maps" and other POI (fuel, wineries, accommodation and many more) files from independent web sites.

Hope that clarifies why I'm asking about the SD card system in the DS... Someone out there must have had a look to see what can be done with it.

Cheers, David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.