Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen various comments about the less than ideal Satnav systems and have a few questions that I hope someone with more knowledge/experience can help me with:

Do LR provide periodic map updates?
Is there any way to send destinations from a smart phone to the Satnav, in control apps perhaps or navigate to a contacts address?
Anyone have experience of the Sygic app that is apparently an approved app?

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm off to grab some popcorn to sit back and watch this thread ............

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering the number of people complaining about the Satnav I would have thought there would be some experts who could answer some basic questions for a newbie, perhaps not!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yes
No
No

For what it's worth incontrol apps are a waste of money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Apologies for my earlier response Andy, it would appear from reading the forum questions on the sat nav that it is a hot topic and everyone has a different opinion. To be fair I cannot actually comment as yet as my DS has not been delivered as yet (hopefully Sept), but from what I read the sat nav appears to be a big issue! Hopefully existing owners can provide the answers you seek.

Though I'm interested to read more about the app you mention!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
andycs said:
I've seen various comments about the less than ideal Satnav systems and have a few questions that I hope someone with more knowledge/experience can help me with:

Do LR provide periodic map updates?
Is there any way to send destinations from a smart phone to the Satnav, in control apps perhaps or navigate to a contacts address?
Anyone have experience of the Sygic app that is apparently an approved app?

Thanks, Andy
Me, with a history of Garmin use from StreetPilot 1, SP3, and Nuvi amongst others. I'm happy with the DS sat nav. A couple of things I would've done differently, but nothing I hate.

The maps are on an easily accessible SD card in the cubby so I presume they will be updated from time to time. I expect the updates to be ridiculously expensive.

I have not seen any way to send it a destination, waypoint or route plan in any way bar tapping it in on the screen, which could be better laid out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Maps may be obtainable from other car brands as I suspect the map to be generic and used across the industry?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
Maps may be obtainable from other car brands as I suspect the map to be generic and used across the industry?
Maybe but car manufs buy big enough to mandate systems which are not cross-compatible, to keep control of the after-market.

The unit in my last Vauxhall was a NavTeq, but you couldn't use "generic" maps, they had to be *for that model*.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Following the link from the owner's manual:

"The Map Updater enables you to activate maps, update existing maps and purchase new maps for the InControl Touch navigation system".

"Update existing maps" and "purchase new maps", and specifically the differential in the wording of the two, suggests to me that map updates are complimentary (otherwise it surely would have said "purchase updates of existing maps").

I'm not sure if believing that makes me optimistic, naive, or deluded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone used the InControl Touch Map Updater recently? I just tried it again after a long time (didn't work before) and Land Rover charging me £97 for the update. There isn't any information if this is a yearly subscription or if we will have to pay that amount every time there is an update. The version in offer is 26.1.9780, but it does not say how old is the version

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
mpalomi said:
Has anyone used the InControl Touch Map Updater recently? I just tried it again after a long time (didn't work before) and Land Rover charging me £97 for the update. There isn't any information if this is a yearly subscription or if we will have to pay that amount every time there is an update. The version in offer is 26.1.9780, but it does not say how old is the version
Here's a recent thread that may possibly help you.

http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4919&hilit=Sat+Nav+update

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.