Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife used the car today to go from alfreton to stoke, 50 miles. The journey on the way there was straight forward. Following a route you would expect on A roads and dualcarriageways. However on the return journey, almost the whole journey consisted of twisty country roads. Several miles where single track farm roads. Which concerned her if any traffic came the other way. The driving experience didn't impress her

Has anybody else experienced this?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup check settings and route options.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would like to ask a more generic question - why so many people prefer/want/so obsessed with car built in SatNav?
The navigation quality of any decent external SatNav (Garmin etc) is usually superior and an external one can be updated by connecting to a PC (easy).
Never mind the built in one costs a lot more.
The only advantage I see - no wires for built in. Is that it?
What is the thinking?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Have to say the FL2 HSE (60 plates) sat nav was sufficiently useless it was not used much; used TomTom Europe in iPhone stuck in holder on windscreen usually, which was great and gives (for low sub) live traffic status etc. Currently still appraising the DS sat nav and seems OK so far, 200 miles in.... no silly directions yet! When using any sat nav, they do need sense-checking in any event! Can't beat a decent paper map for route planning!

·
Registered
506 Posts
gene
I would like to ask a more generic question - why so many people prefer/want/so obsessed with car built in SatNav?
The navigation quality of any decent external SatNav (Garmin etc) is usually superior and an external one can be updated by connecting to a PC (easy).
What is the thinking?
Tricky one. The Infotainment/SatNav screen is higher positioned on the DS compared to Evoque, so is less distracting - a plus point. It's also 'standard' in the DS SE Tech upwards, not an option.

I love the NEW built in SD operated SatNav, I like that it speaks that you are over the designated speed limit (and is configurable). it's only downside being the lack of safety camera POIs (though I gather that it may be possible to download them to PC from a third part site, copy to a stick and then upload into the Sat Nav? ( Can anybody confirm this, and the best options?).

My old Garmin SAtNav from the FL2 GS (GS didn't have SatNav) did a good job, was hard wired into the central dash cubby, and was a beautiful fit and fully kitted out with Lifetime Maps, Traffic and a Safety Camera subscription. I've kept this and found it to be a great fit in the DS central cupholder aperture in front of the centre armrest, and powered by the socket inside the armrest cubby. I cover it with a cloth when leaving the car. This lets me have my camera warnings at all times, but use the in-dash SatNav for routing etc.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Premium brands demand sat navs for resale appeal but I agree, compared to other premium brands and stand alone sat navs, Lsndrover is well off the pace.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
gene said:
What is the thinking?
I've had an external one for years and the advantages that spring to mind are:
* No wires is definitely a plus
* Can't fall off the windscreen (I currently wedge mine into a storage space in the dash where I can)
* Larger display
* Doesn't require subscription to update (I know many manufacturers now offer free maps for life, but mine didn't)
* Can't get stolen

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks Discoloz! Anybody done this yet? Their site doesn't yet include DS but it must be basically the same as other newish JLR products.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does this system have night mode? I always found the in-built screen on my Disco 3 far too bright at night. It only offered dimming (slightly) when the rheostat was turned down :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
DS is my 5th Landrover....all had built in Sat Nav....I have no idea why people have problems with it, I have driven all over Europe using it without issue.

Problem seems that for some reason people have now got to a point where they cannot drive anywhere without using the Sat Nav, it will get you anywhere you want to go, but it will not necessarily use the route you know.....so the question is then...why does any use Sat Nav to go somewhere that they know how to get to... :? :?

As for it using B roads/A Roads etc....its all in the settings.....RTFM ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Tollerted
Does this system have night mode? I always found the in-built screen on my Disco 3 far too bright at night. It only offered dimming (slightly) when the rheostat was turned down :(
Yes it does, but I only found it after a night run where the 8" screen was extremely distracting. When I got home, I got the book out and played with the settings in the menus'

You go into SatNav settings and find it has 3 options Day/ Night and Auto. Mine was set on Day, so I switched to Auto. Now works the same as my Garmin.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks xxtrail. A big improvement as far as I'm concerned. All I need now is the car...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just to expand this slightly, there are so many menus and sub menus on the SatNav / Infotainment / Car Set up etc, that are a bit hit and miss to find and configure to personal preferences.

Somebody at JLR will have made a process chart that details {like a family tree) all the options available at all the menu levels, so that you can navigate through these menus sequentially, making the correct choices to get to the final settings that you're wanting to view or adjust.

Could one of our JLR colleagues on the forum or at customer services, please look into making such a chart available? This would save lots of time going down the wrong paths.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Built in is just tidier, better integrated and thief proof. I don't do business trips on my own so our leisure trips are best planned with a map, unless satnavs now do "drive past the best birdwatching sites/ photo opportunities" as an option. So its just there when go to an unknown shop and so far its worked OK except taking me to the truck delivery side of Argos. Better than balancing my phone somewhere. I might think otherwise if it was in constant use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree that the Sat Nav is very poor in comparison even with basic Tom Tom. Just completed a round trip to Cornwall from South London and the Sat Nav wanted to take us off 70mph dual carriage way onto A and B roads and onto single track farm roads from the A and B roads. This happened whether Faster or Shortest journey was selected. There should be options in avoid which allow you to select only numbered roads. Some of the selected routes were really unsuitable due to width restrictions and no suitable passing places on the unnamed roads. Fortunately we did not meet any other DS's coming the other way!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts