Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Relatively new to the LR range and it's Sat Nav so apologies if this is just a shortcoming of the JLR nav software.

On my DS HSE the Sat Nav doesn't seem to display the town names - no matter what the zoom level is at..

This is frustrating when I found myself at the weekend driving along a country route but when I zoomed out I couldn't see the surrounding towns and villages to try and reassure me or give me an understanding of where I was...

Is this just the way it is! or is there something wrong with my system? It shows the shading of the city/town limits but not the name either when in map view or with a guidance underway...

I'm coming from the Likes of VW and BMW where the town and city names where displays (BTW I have tried both selecting and deselecting the town names in the Nav settings but doesn't seem to make any difference except it turns on an off the shading for the town/city boundaries.

help please!

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine is the same, lack of place names. At the M1 M6 junction it didnt even mark the M6.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's not great but if you go into the nav menu and hit INFORMATION and then select WHERE AM I ? It should give you all the details.

I haven't tried it, in fact I haven't even used my sat nav yet. I still prefer the old fashioned map.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The other day it told me of some road works on route and asked if I wanted to avoid them or stay on route, this would have been ok if it had told me the delay and time saved by avoiding.
How can you decide if you don't know how long the delay is ? :?
Not sure if it shows traffic delays either, not seen any yet.
Don't think I'll be getting rid of my TomTom just yet until I understand its limitations properly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Someone try and explain this one to me!
I was going across the M62 to Manchester on Saturday east to west and signs were warning of closures between junctions 24 and 22. The sat nav brought me off at junction 25 - excellent thought I, as I could see the motorway at a standstill just after the junction. It then took me through Brighouse and...... tried to put me back on the M62 in the middle of the mayhem at Junction 24!!
So..... It must have known about the closure otherwise why take me off, but if it knew about it, why try to put me back on??!!!
Confused.... And not very impressed!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tried getting to Newport Pagnall off the M1 @ JCTN 14 Earlier tonight, NO WARNINGS What so ever that the road to Newport Pagnall being closed !

As i filtered round the roundabout i was spat back North on the M1 up to Jctn 15 :twisted: i've never noticed before BUT thats actually quite a long Jctn.

NO IDEA where i was going @ JCTN 15 i was confronted with the most Bizare roundabout sytem i have ever clapped eyes on, there must have been 4 roundabouts amalgamated into one blob, Very confusing to both myself AND the Bastard Sat Nav, as i found myself heading South down the slip to JCTN 14, "Which Is Closed" for re surfacing dont forget.

ALL THE WAY to JCTN 13, which was slightly distressing before heading across from JCTN 13 in to Newport Pagnell.

WHICH LEAVES ME TO WONDER
Is it worth pissing about with bottles of add blue, a few gm's per Kg off the emmisions, low rolling resistance tyres, 2WD, 5 seater, all the Millions invested in the future and lowering pollution when i've just gone about 50 Miles un neccesarily.
If i were a consultancy House or restructuring fascility brought in to look at ways to improve economy and cut cost i'd rip that pile of crap straight out of the dash.

Then submit my Invoice for £275,000 A Day.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The Navteq system is pants, always has been, the only other car I've had it on was a Fl2 XS, and only because it was standard, same with this one. In fact I wouldn't spec sat nav on any manufacturers car when you can get better navigation from Tom Tom or google maps on mobile.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why don't manufacturers do a deal with TomTom and install one that works?!

The DS nav has several times attempted to take me in strange directions when tested, eg in the opposite direction to that which common sense would suggest for no good reason.

The TomTom app in the iPhone, with the speed camera alert and live traffic (for a modest sub) will sadly have to remain the primary navaid when it is needed - on a stalk stuck to the windscreen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JLR Customer Service did get back to me after I tweeted about how rubbish the Nav was!
and that it didn't show town names etc... (seriously I tweeted and go a response from them looking for contact details within a hour or so...)
they went away and came back the following day with a bit more information - sadly none of it concrete or 100% useful.

Apparently they are aware of the issue or at least I'm not the 1st to have reported it...
And they are also apparently in talks with Navteq about getting an update - but naturally no idea of timescale.

I guess small hope to be taken from the response and the acknowledgement of a the issue.
but frankly the nav system in these JLR products doesn't hold a light to those of the German car brands of Audi/BMW/Merc both in terms of mapping/routing and user input!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
At the end of the day this is all about cost as are a lot of things that have already been raised on the Forum.

As far as I'm aware Navtec belongs to Nokia who were bought out by Microsoft but I think Nokia kept the Navtec part. May explain their attitude.

I had good experience with an aftermarket Satnav that I bought from them and when I test drove the DS in March the SD card system seemed to do everything that I would expect of it.

Since a Satnav device is basically a software device (especially if it's all on the SD card) then I would see no reason why improvements shouldn't be made available to current owners in update form.

Perhaps [email protected] can be more specific in his statement on this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi all,

Chased my dealer, Guy Salmon Ascot and got the following reply :

Hi,

Yes I can confirm that the sat nav in the car we have tested is the same. Ian will send a EPQR and will call you once he has a reply. It may take a couple of days.

Kind Regards

Kelly Lines
Assistant Service Manager
Guy Salmon | 17 London Road | Ascot | Berkshire | SL5 7EP
----------------------------------

Apparently an ePQR is a JLR internal procedure to raise a customer reported issue, and Ian is the Master Tech at Guy Salmon Ascot.

More fuel to the fire hopefully, but still completely in shock at how JLR could deem the satnav to be "fit for purpose" as it is.....after all, the satnav is meant to replace the need for paper maps or my very dusty TomTom....better blow the dust off it tonight... :)

Cheers,

b1ggles2

·
Registered
179 Posts
Beast said:
A shame Navteq - a large international company - can't get their act together and produce a system without the kind of basic issues I would not expect a 12 year old to supply. Garmin and Tom Tom cracked this years ago and on a car of this price it's not acceptable. If they can't then it's up to the motor manufacturers to sort Navteq out and hit them where it hurts by buying elsewhere.
Hear hear.

Inability to enter the whole postcode is unacceptable too. My hamlet & associated unnamed road not even listed in the options presented on the part of the postcode that can be entered.

I assume JLR buy the Navteq system based on price - but its complete pants. The TomTom app for the whole of Europe runs on the iphone and retails for relative pennies. JLR must be getting the Navteq system almost free! But they are 'spoiling the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar' as they say by using this fairly useless rubbish.

I see Pete claims that it is 'as per spec' - I find that hard to believe, but if so, whoever wrote and signed off on the spec should need to find alternative employment!

·
Registered
305 Posts
TugPilot said:
Beast said:
Inability to enter the whole postcode is unacceptable too. My hamlet & associated unnamed road not even listed in the options presented on the part of the postcode that can be entered.
That is pretty bad, my Audi only lets me put in the first part of the postcode and I always praised the Freelander as it let me put an entire postcode in, seems like a massive step backwards.

The entertainment pack adds "Hard Disk Navigation System" i believe this is via a SD card in the centre armrest, is this Nav any different from the non entertainment nav?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts