Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until now I have not had the built in sat-nav (even on my present Evoque Prestige - it was an option) but used an independent one from Tom-Tom as I was able (for a fee) to update the map regularly.
I have ordered a D S HSE (in France) and the only option was to upgrade the standard SD card based sat-nav to a CD based version, so I've stuck with the standard one. I am concerned as to how I will be able to update the map, I have e-mailed Land Rover to ask and got a non committal reply.
Does anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
562 Posts
interesting I thought the SD based sat nav was the better option as the CD based version gets subbed if you spec the Entertainment package DVDs etc....

From experience, I have never updated the sat nav discs, although they are available for a small fortune from your dealer. Not sure when the update happens, if it's a rolling update at your cars build or yearly...

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think the dealer updates the SD card but I can't say for sure.

Check the navteq website, that's who produce the LR system.

·
Registered
677 Posts
From the DS handbook on Topix

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just had a look on the Navteq website the DS isn't listed yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info j77, I had tried the internet link before, some time ago, probably when I tried they hadn't got is set up. It works now so all I have to do is wait for the car to arrive and I'll try out the update service.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As an add on to this thread I see that the entertainment pack comes with hard drive navigation. Any idea why? Hard drives are generally slower than SD cards, have moving parts etc, are more difficult to update etc.

And how much mapping do you get on the SD - all of Europe? Sale person tells me their is little take up for either entertainment pack. I'd be tempted by the Meridian set up as I'm a bit of a hifi lover but the price is a bit steep and includes the dual screen and tv which I don't really need.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have a RR Evoque with Meridian hifi and HDD satnav. I understand that IF you spec either the Meridian of the "upgrade" satnav they always come together. This is not necessary great since 1. The HDD system is slow and sometimes crashes 2. The "virtual CD changer" takes 10min! To upload a CD 3. The SD version is reported to be quicker in various tests and 4. Even if you like HiFi, the 10 speaker 250w HiFi in the HSE is made by Harman Kardon and very good indeed. I would spend the cash on other stuff and will move my 9" DVD screens from Evoque to the new DS

·
Registered
562 Posts
£2500 for the entertainment pack is big money, especially when an iPad os all you need these days.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Took some pictures of SD SatNav at dealer today...

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

I've worked out the maps are iGO and can't be updated manually due to the license restrictions....I've tried various combinations. Experimenting with some other possibilities, as I have iGO on my Android phone with current iGO maps.

However, I copied over the original SD files and maps to a much faster Sandisk Extreme SD card and the read rate is much much faster. Makes a huge difference with route loading time and speed. The whole satnav works much faster.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's good to know. I'll try a faster card

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
On my DS (MY16), the navigation engine is definately iGO (NNG) based and custom built for the DS operating system.

The map files are .fbl which are iGO based. Plus, all the other files e.g. building, POIs are also iGO format. There are different versions of maps running on the iGO Navigation software for the same country or region made by different map suppliers, including TomTom, Nokia (HERE), Sensis and other regional providers.

It's a shame the .exe is not available on the card (it's part of the overall OS), as it would be easy to add allsorts to the nav system including; upto date maps, speedcams + multi format Video playback. I am experimenting with it on my Sandisk SD card.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yasmar said:
Thats odd, they don't say they support Landrover on their web site. I think the consensus think that the maps are from HERE formerly NAVTEQ.
http://landrover.navigation.com/cms/page.FindProduct/en_GB/LandRoverEMEA/GBP

Good tip about the speed though!
From the link above, it seems there is a 2016 Europe map for sale for £169 (plus vat) for Gen2.1/Incontrol Touch systems. You get a USB stick shipped at £5 to update your system.

Has anyone bought this and tried to update their SD card?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Gen 2.1 is the meridian system with HDD sat nav

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Kitzie
I'd love to know how you get on with your SD Card system and the possibility of adding POIs (like red light and cameras) etc to the SD Card (using a working SD Card copy). I've also looked at the file structures and types but ran into dead ends... I've tried to add various file formats to the "speedcams" folder with no luck so far.
Love to hear more about your efforts re this. PM me if you like and I can give you more info about what I tried.
Cheers David

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi s5156,

I tried to message your inbox, but apparently "We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature"

I'm doing some research on the .exe access (that's the key to adding or changing anything). Most in-board car navs have some point to access. I too have tried usual files updates....I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Kitzie, you have to makes three posts before you can pm so you should be OK now. (Spam prevention).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts