Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered in December, current estimated delivery date mid May. Dealer could try harder when it comes to communication...

So, while I'm waiting I was pondering the running in process and thought I'd see if anybody has thoughts on the current wisdom for bedding in a new engine.

I know that opinions vary, but my own process has always been to not think too much about it, not thrash it hard for the first 1,000 miles or so (not that I really drive like that anyway these days) and to avoid long straight stretches on cruise control to make sure that the engine has variable loads. Labouring the engine also to be avoided, but not really an issue with auto boxes.

I know that some people go to much greater lengths, including a 2,000 mile oil change, but I'm quite sure that is pointless these days, particularly since the engine is no longer the most complex and failure prone part of the vehicle - the issues are usually with the 1,000s of complex components that are attached to it...

·
Registered
562 Posts
For me exactly as you do. It's not a high performance engine with tight tolerances.

·
Registered
829 Posts
First 1,000 miles, I take it extra easy when cold, never use more than 70% throttle and don't rev beyond 3,000rpm

·
Registered
89 Posts
All sensible advice. Ran my 09 freelander in for 500 miles not above 2500 rpm. D4 the same and so it shall be with this one. If you look after it from the start it will repay you later...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was pondering the same. Not had a car from new And theres lots of conflicting advice - oil change and the like.
It's good to hear other's views.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
With the tolerances on new cars there is no reason to run the engine in, the only reason to take it easy at first is for the brakes to bed in, normally advised for first 500 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts