Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am just about to place my order, but cannot decide what to do regarding roof rails - would welcome any thoughts!

I use a roof rack maybe six times a year for weekends away (for a crate for the dog). The cost of the roof rails (£567 for the rails on a pano roof plus £231 for ditch finishers) seems a lot just for say 15 days a year.

Will someone like Thule eventually provide some sort of fitting to go on the pano roof without roof rails?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I'm pretty sure somebody on here said that LR will hire out the roof bars but didn't mention the cost though.

Would assume you would still need fitted rails though.

Just a thought to bring the cost slightly lower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
You do not need the ditch finishers if you have the glass roof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Thule less than 50% of LR price and fit straight onto roof, see my earlier post on this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Hi There KaikouraDiscoSport I can't see your earlier post on this
- do you mean that there are Thule Roof Bars that mount onto the DS Rail fixing points meaning you don't need the rails?

Or will you always need the rails and it's only an option about which bars to go for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Judging from the options presented when I use the buyer's guide, it looks like you will always need rails but would be happy for someone to correct me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
You can get a system from Thule that does not need the rails, instead it clamps onto the edge of the roof. it does not use the rail fixing points.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
but looking at this on the Thule website it's for the Evoque rather than the DS - although I realise that just means not yet been tested on the DS.

Also wondering if how and where it clamps would affect the Pan roof on the DS.
As the Glass is full width apart from the 4 points where the OEM roof rails would bolt to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
d4uk said:
but looking at this on the Thule website it's for the Evoque rather than the DS - although I realise that just means not yet been tested on the DS.

Also wondering if how and where it clamps would affect the Pan roof on the DS.
As the Glass is full width apart from the 4 points where the OEM roof rails would bolt to.
Or it may not fit. With the brand new model they might not have a product that fits yet :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I had the same dilemma so I emailed Thule (asking them if the evoque 'without rails & Pano roof system' was compatible) this was their reply on 23rd March

"Thank you for your email and your interest in Thule Products.
Unfortunately, Thule does not produce a roof rack solution for your particular model.
While I cannot guarantee that the combination you list in your email will not physically fit your vehicle; Thule has not performed any tests for compatibility or safety with this combination mounted to your particular vehicle and as such, I would not be able to recommend the fitting.
I am sorry I could not give you as more positive answer to your query but please do not hesitate to contact me again in case of any further questions or remarks."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Moose said:
You can get a system from Thule that does not need the rails, instead it clamps onto the edge of the roof. it does not use the rail fixing points.
Moose is right

The Thule system which I listed elsewhere incl costs clamps on the edge of the roof and is fine for both pano roof or aluminium roof. I used it on my RR Evoque along with the airblade crossbars; very silent even at 100mph, thin, strong and wide. I was impressed and you could even fit a bicycle or maybe 2 next to a roofbox

No need for expensive LR roofrails, crossbars and...when you sell your DS it will most likely fit your next car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
the only problem is that Thule haven't tested it yet so there's no confirmation which feet match the DS roof profile..
or indeed what come back you have if it does;t work..
I'd be happier to see someone else having tried it on a DS before spending my cash on it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Having got Thule Wingbars from my FL2 first thing I tried is to fit it to DS.
Thule system consist of 3 parts:
- wing bars - universal (I had it from FL2)
- footpack 754 - universal
- adapters (car specifics)

What I found:
Adapters from Evoque (Thule 1663 Rapid System) fit my DS nicely, but I needed 2 sets of them. The reason is that front and back Evoque adapters are different and while front adapters fit perfectly, back adapters are bigger and have different angle. I ordered 2 sets of 1663 system - only 2 (front) adapters from each set fit DS.
I'll post a picture later.

To be honest I am still in two minds about Thule. I like the fact that it is detachable and it also costs less that LR roof rails + bars.
But LR roof rails *seem* to be able to more weight. Thule's spec says no more that 70 kg...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
gene said:
Having got Thule Wingbars from my FL2 first thing I tried is to fit it to DS.
Thule system consist of 3 parts:
- wing bars - universal (I had it from FL2)
- footpack 754 - universal
- adapters (car specifics)

What I found:
Adapters from Evoque (Thule 1663 Rapid System) fit my DS nicely, but I needed 2 sets of them. The reason is that front and back Evoque adapters are different and while front adapters fit perfectly, back adapters are bigger and have different angle. I ordered 2 sets of 1663 system - only 2 (front) adapters from each set fit DS.
I'll post a picture later.

To be honest I am still in two minds about Thule. I like the fact that it is detachable and it also costs less that LR roof rails + bars.
But LR roof rails *seem* to be able to more weight. Thule's spec says no more that 70 kg...
Land Rover's spec is only 75kg so you're not much in front with genuine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Thule also states the standard 75kg. The system is however robust and could easily take more (and am sure DS roof could cope with 100kg as well)
http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/load-carrier-feet/thule-rapid-system-754-_-754000

As per my comments I combined this with a KAMEI 510 roofbox which is not only some 550 (big) litres in measured capacity but is also reasonably light and opens on both sides

The fact that this design roofbox is relatively short at 188cm but rather wide suits the DS roofshape perfectly. I found many of comparable Thule boxes to be 230cm long and overstretching the front window; in addition the shape was often low and narrow (good for aerodynamics) which was hard to access from the sides and not great for bulky camping gear...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Just beware overloading your vehicle beyond manufacturer spec as if you're over the specified load limit and you have an accident the insurance company can (and often will) refuse to pay out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
gene said:
What I found:
Adapters from Evoque (Thule 1663 Rapid System) fit my DS nicely, but I needed 2 sets of them. The reason is that front and back Evoque adapters are different and while front adapters fit perfectly, back adapters are bigger and have different angle. I ordered 2 sets of 1663 system - only 2 (front) adapters from each set fit DS.
I'll post a picture later.
Would be interested to see pics, like you, I already have the Thule kit for my FL2 and keen to re-use at minimum cost on my DS when it arrives later this year...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Can anyone confirm the length of Thule roof bars that have been successfully used here?
I have a set but I have a feeling they are too short for the width of the DS roof.

B
 
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Top