Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased cross bars for their roof rails yet ?
I'm leaning towards the Thule Wing Edge @ £225 rather than the LR ones @ £272.
That's not to save 50 quid, more to match the Thule roof box.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No but I am thinking of going the Thule way, it also mean if I have the Rapid system that providing Thule continue to make that type, on the next or any other car I can still use the cross bars and only change the feet if needed not buy a new set every time I change the car, even the old discovery system will not fit the DS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the landrover bars and wish I'd got the thule set. LR set are very hard to get on and off when it's cold the plastics bits don't flex enough and the bars look good but they will only fit 3 kayaks where the thule ones are longer and would fit 4 kayaks on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad its not just me ...

DS went back to the dealers this week to have the LR roof rails and cross bars fitted (they were on back order when I collected the car in April!). First thing I did when I got home was take the cross bars off ... took me ages as they were really difficult to remove.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Thule slide bars, very convenient for my Mrs given her small statue. Set me off circa £350 which includes all the adapters and foot packs,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have wing bars on my smax and will only need to buy new feet for the DS - which talks to Moose's point. They do come in different lengths though, so it's not a given that they will fit your next car....

My smax feet are a REAL pain to fit, but they go directly into the roof - I hope the rail feet are a little easier (Thule videos do a good job of making them all look simple - they lie!)

The wing bar edge - looks like it might be the sleekest solution given its meant to sit lower to the roof. It's also available in black which should be good for those with black roof:
http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/complete-all-in-one-racks/thule-wingbar-edge-9583-_-958300

Next best seems wing bar with 775 feet (also avail in black)
http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/roof-racks/load-carrier-feet/thule-rapid-system-775-_-775000

Anyone got either and can send a pic? Or go and buy one and then take a pic :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use a special Thule set for transporting my 16'6" canoe.
I never took the JLR cross bars of my FL2 off the package.
I have the DS roof rails still in back order so I don't know if my "Thule Rapid System" will fit. I think Thule are saying it will: https://www.thule.com/en/fi/buyers-guide?c=roof+racks&q=qAaNYXmBq
I am afraid my only other option is the JLR Aqua Sports Carrier which doesn't look very suitable for such a long canoe.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I thought the JLR roof rack and towbar were made by Thule anyway but with a Landrover badge branding?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The brand "Land Rover" or "Thule" is not my main concern but the square bar which Thule have used for years and which has a lot of existing accessories.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
BFGDSMan said:
I thought the JLR roof rack and towbar were made by Thule anyway but with a Landrover badge branding?
The LR bars are made by SAPA, Thule is part of SAPA, but run a as a separate aftermarket business, I therefore do not think the bit come out of the same factory.

The LR parts are made in Rotherham at the SAPA site there, I think the Thule parts now come in from Europe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If anybody wants a cheap set, I have some older Thule ones with correct length bars (135cm) , no locks

Looking for £40

There are marks on the bars & have more detailed photos if required, PM me

Am in Medway area of Kent near M2 J3

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just tried fitting my new Land Rover Cross Bars and I must agree they are very hard to fit when its cold ( -6 c outside).

Dreading trying to take them off again :(

Not very user friendly. :shock:

I wish I gone with Thule.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi
If you search on here, plenty of members have posted pictures of their respective roof bars.

I have the Thule Wingbars in Black, they are excellent and really low noise levels. I leave them on permanently.
(Picture posted previously)...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts