Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed people picking up there new cars any date of the month
just wondering does the new Digital car tax run from the the date of purchase or does it run from the beggining of the month ?

I have always picked up new cars on the 1st

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good post, my car is due in just before the end of May, so was hoping to put mine off till at least the 1st June, and get a full months road tax out of it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tax is due from the 1st of the month as I understand it. But your refund on existing is from the end of the same month. In the round, makes no odds..., the exchequer wins either way!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I collected my car on 14th March, I complained to my dealer that I was paying for 12 months road tax and only getting 11 1/2, however the dealer can pay extra to DVLA so you get your full 12 months, if I hadn't mentioned this to my dealer I wouldn't have got my 12 months and a bonus of 2 weeks, so I now need to renew my car tax on 1st April and not 1st March :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
U are aware that a months car tax is £15, 2 weeks obviously being £7.50.

1 day into the month with your exiting vehicle and u pay and lose the whole month, then you loose with your new vehicle as you pay for a whole month regardless of when it's received, technically 2 vehicles taxed over the same month but it's not your dealers fault. Granted the exchequer is the man at fault here and wins either way.

I get the principle factor mind but it's not worth the effort for a few quid to quibble with the dealer.....

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Mine was a bit odd in that I collected my car on 8th April but the dealer wanted to register it on 31st March (end of tax year and to get their bonuses). At first I refused but they offered to pay an extra weeks tax and refund me £250 which I thought was a fair offer and accepted. Have checked and my tax is due 1st April next year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Collected on the 14th April 2015, tax due 1st April 2016. So I lost 2 weeks tax."C'est la vie" . Was too excited picking up the car to even think of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all
My thinking was the road Tax had gone digital and it would run from the day of purchase like your mot,s and insurance but the goverment can,t make anything simple
Peter 69 when you put it like that against my 2 year old Freelander depreciation
it seems like nothing
But it does seem unfair that the customer has to take the loss
not sure when I will get mine ordered in Febuary for June but may get before if its ready will have a chat with my salesman when car is available

·
Registered
179 Posts
Confess I didn't think of it when it came to the collection - was too excited! But on checking, despite collecting on 27/03, tax is due on 1/4/16 so the dealer did the decent thing unprompted. Quite right too for an end of month handover!

As regards going digital with road tax, obviously they could but the exchequer would lose the double tax they manage to collect with this ingenious system - bet a middle ranking civil servant got a pat on the back for thinking that one up!

·
Registered
118 Posts
When you've just laid out £42k on a new motor why quibble about a tenners worth of road tax ? Not sure I get it. :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My main enquiry was how the new car tax works as I dont need to renew until June so I had know idea how the new system works but also the fact when I probably change in 2 or 3 years that I am not having to bother purchaseing new road tax the month before changing the car

·
Registered
179 Posts
when you get a new car (new to you that is) they take tax typically from 1st of that month. Your existing car's road tax is refunded from END of that month. So HMG win! There's a surprise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts