Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not overly impressed by the reverse lights on the DS, so I've been having a look at LED replacements.

It needs to be a W16W bulb, most suppliers only stock two kinds both are wedge type but they ain't cheap £20 a pair.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow to make sure I'm buying the right thing. Usually when I take things to bits it doesn't end well, so there maybe a thread asking how to put a DS back together again :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes the reverse lights are deplorable - verging on the downright pathetic. I can't understand why LR have done this when the Evoque lights were so good!

Let us know how you get on - I was going to raise this with the dealer when I get half a chance. Does anybody know if here is anything on Topix about these being replaced?

·
Registered
132 Posts
J77, have you been in comms with HIDS4U, on the Disco3 and 4 Forums he was a site sponsor and gave discount.

It may be worth seeing if he has a solution and with the volume of units to potentially get out there it may be worth his while.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Found 2 LED reverse lights on Ebay for GBP 2.80 incl postage...

T15 W16W 5050 SMD LED Car Vehicle Reverse Lights Backup Bulb Lamp White Hot

Seems they are 3W, replace usual 16W lights and require modern "T15 fittings". Produce 500LM yet not sure how this compares to traditional lights?

Features:
Small and exquisite appearance, easy to install and use (plug and play).
Light up without delay, optical purity, color and penetration.
Great for applications around the vehicle.
Long service life, high luminous efficiency.
Green and environment-friendly products, safe and reliable.
Ideal replacement of LED bulbs for your backup light.

Specifications:
Light color: White
Connnect type: T15
LED type: 5050 SMD + high power LED
For car lamp: Reverse lights
Voltage: DC 12-15V
Power: 3W
Lumen: About 500LM
Item size: Approx. 4.6 * 1.5cm / 1.8 * 0.6in (length * head diameter)
Item weight: Approx. 8g / 0.3oz

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a plan chalky, I'm going out to investigate what the current bulbs look like and I will get in touch with them see what they come up with.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Worth a group buy ? - I am sure we did this on the D3/4 forum for some LED's

·
Registered
829 Posts
I also emailed the guys on Ebay for alu pedal sets for a manual DS but they only offer the automatic version. The auto versions are often branded as RR Evoque and cost as little as GBP 30!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I PM'd Hids4u over on the D3/4 forum, not sure if they are still a sponsor or not, invited them over to perhaps offer a deal/group buy.

Still awaiting a reply, failing that I will email them directly.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Bodsy from the D3 club got a group buy of LED he brought along to our pub meet, I'll ask him as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sounds like a great excuse for a "global Discovery Sport pub offsite" to finally put some faces to all these special names!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Always welcome at our pub meets, except I am in London for the May one.

There are some LR events /shows coming upas well , the Gaydon one late June would be fairly central for a meet, I am organising a stand for the DOC there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Waiting to hear what happens when someone does this, as all the LED T15/W16W lamps seem to be larger (ie longer), if only by 4-5mm or so, than a standard W16W filament lamp, so will be interested to see what happens when someone changes to LEDs.

And does the DS require Canbus-compatible lamps to avoid dash warnings of lamps supposedly being out?

If only LR had fitted decent reversing lamp bulbs in the first place - having to back into our tight drive at night I find I'm using the rear foglight to see where I'm going, which is hardly ideal!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I am actually looking to put two aftermarket DRL LED row lamps on the rear lipl just inside the cut out you can see on Triple7's picture below

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

and wire these into the reversing lamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had no reply from HIDs4U, it's been raining and snowing here, so I will check out the size of bulb tomorrow.

I've always fitted can bus error free bulbs but I don't think it's a big deal.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Moose said:
I am actually looking to put two aftermarket DRL LED row lamps on the rear lipl just inside the cut out you can see on Triple7's picture below

View attachment 754

and wire these into the reversing lamp.
We finally DISCOVERed why they made a 60cm cut out in the rear guard; to house additional reverse lights!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok had a look at the reverse light bulbs, they are all glass wedge type, about 40mm long. They are little buggers to get in, not the bulbs but getting your hand into the space, especially if you have fingers like sausages :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just remember when you put them in theres a 50/50 chance they will be wrong way round, polarity sensative . So flip them 180 and they should then work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
J77 said:
Ok had a look at the reverse light bulbs, they are all glass wedge type, about 40mm long. They are little buggers to get in, not the bulbs but getting your hand into the space, especially if you have fingers like sausages :lol:
Thanks for that: think I may have to find a nimble-fingered wife to fit them, then! ;-)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That sound obvious yet the first time I changed the bulbs on the D3 for LED I forgot, took them back off and was half way to sending them back before my brain kick in :oops:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts