Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to Retrofit wireless qi charging pad in centre console behind gear selector

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that post is for the older model. I’m looking for the newer 2020 plus model

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there - I guess it all depends on the type of charger that you are buying and the model year of your vehicle. I fitted one to my 2018 Discovery Sport D180 HSE a couple of years ago very easily.
The one I purchased on line looked just like the existing centre console rubber mat and was a simple like for like replacement. The charging pad built underneath came with a built in cable with two connectors on it. They simply plugged into the existing factory wiring for the usb charging port underneath the sliding lid next to the coup holders. One you had unclipped the trim it was a simple plug and play. Took about 10 minutes.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there - I guess it all depends on the type of charger that you are buying and the model year of your vehicle. I fitted one to my 2018 Discovery Sport D180 HSE a couple of years ago very easily.
The one I purchased on line looked just like the existing centre console rubber mat and was a simple like for like replacement. The charging pad built underneath came with a built in cable with two connectors on it. They simply plugged into the existing factory wiring for the usb charging port underneath the sliding lid next to the coup holders. One you had unclipped the trim it was a simple plug and play. Took about 10 minutes.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think for 2020 models or newer they are different figment plus only available as a genuine land rover part which is expensive. £150+

·
Registered
330 Posts
How easy is it to Retrofit wireless qi charging pad in centre console behind gear selector
I’ve considered this as well. As linked above, there are aftermarket solutions for the old version DS but nothing for the current model. I’m sure something will arrive on Alibaba soon enough.

I’ve considered adding my own, since there’s a USB C connector by the cubby hole it should be easy enough to buy a wireless charger pad that fits the space and fix it down with sticky Velcro or similar, then plug into the USB port for power (I already have a right angle USB C to USB short adaptor lead permanently connected there). I just haven’t had the chance to investigate pads & sizes yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ive done a cheaper version of this only this week and works/fits a dream. Its not built in, its a separate device that plugs into the USB-C, but you wouldn't know to look at it, its very discreet.
Ive just taken some rough photos for you, for £18 it is absolutely ideal.
I have a 21 Discovery Sport with the USB-C port to the left of the cubby hole behind the gear stick.

The rubber bit is almost made for that space and it charges my iPhone 12 fast (far faster than my old car which had built-in qi). Just throw it onto the charge and it sticks to the rubber plate very well, it comes with sticky pads which ever used but tbh dont think they were needed as it doesn't slide around without them, I just use them in case I accidentally try and pull the rubber piece up when taking my phone out.
It is this one :

Gear shift Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Audio equipment
Gear shift Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ive done a cheaper version of this only this week and works/fits a dream. Its not built in, its a separate device that plugs into the USB-C, but you wouldn't know to look at it, its very discreet.
Ive just taken some rough photos for you, for £18 it is absolutely ideal.
I have a 21 Discovery Sport with the USB-C port to the left of the cubby hole behind the gear stick.

The rubber bit is almost made for that space and it charges my iPhone 12 fast (far faster than my old car which had built-in qi). Just throw it onto the charge and it sticks to the rubber plate very well, it comes with sticky pads which ever used but tbh dont think they were needed as it doesn't slide around without them, I just use them in case I accidentally try and pull the rubber piece up when taking my phone out.
That’s pretty much what I had planned to do, maybe you’ve just saved me the time of finding the right size pad!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that part number for the pre 2020 cars or the facelifted ones?

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you do go for the one I linked too and it arrives, don’t unravel the cord. It’s nicely wrapped up tight and a perfect fit to slot to the left of the pad.
I got one, and fitted it this morning, using a piece of self adhesive Velcro to hold it in place widthways in the storage cubby. I also added some self adhesive foam strips to the top & bottom edges of the mount to stop my phone (iPhone XS) from moving around on the charge pad during driving. Works well (y).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone know how the centre consol comes apart on the newer 2020+ models to fit one of these charging pads

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks quite a neat solution but is is only for the pre facelift model

1 - 20 of 24 Posts