Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

After a late pickup of my DS, due to the recall, everything was seeming rosey....

After ignoring noticable patches on my drive for a couple of weeks, which I had put down to condensation from the A/C, I decided to contact my dealer. They told me not to drive the car and to call Land Rover Assist, who came and checked out the car and took it to the dealer.

LR and my dealership have managed the whole situation impeccably and I have a replacement Evoque, however I have recieved a call today to tell me that I need a new gearbox!

Clearly this is a little upsetting and concerning, knowing that a major component of my new car is now having to be replaced in my local dealership... It's akin to buying a new TV, only to find it is broken and Currys are going to get someone to replace the screen! x 100!

What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'd hold out for a replacement vehicle but wouldn't hold much hope. I don't what your warranty says but looking at the Sales of Goods Act it seems that a replacement would be legally acceptable. They have to return the vehicle to it's correct condition without causing you significant inconvenience. If they are only prepared to replace the box then certainly a hefty price reduction should be agreed and some kind of contractual agreement as to what will be done if it happens again. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chippy911 said:
I'd hold out for a replacement vehicle but wouldn't hold much hope. I don't what your warranty says but looking at the Sales of Goods Act it seems that a replacement would be legally acceptable. They have to return the vehicle to it's correct condition without causing you significant inconvenience. If they are only prepared to replace the box then certainly a hefty price reduction should be agreed and some kind of contractual agreement as to what will be done if it happens again. Good luck.
Thanks Chippy911

If it was my mobile phone, I wouldn't expect anything less than a replacement... and although legally I suspect you are right, practically I guess it is not quite as simple as that with a DS, particularly as I doubt they have one to spec sitting around. I suspect I will have to settle for some form of guarantee and hefty price reduction - how hefty a price reduction do you think I should be looking for/expecting?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Personally, I'd use shock tactics and start with at least 20% of new cost and see how they react. I guess a new gearbox as "spare part" would be around 4000 sterling but I'm only guessing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chippy911 said:
Personally, I'd use shock tactics and start with at least 20% of new cost and see how they react. I guess a new gearbox as "spare part" would be around 4000 sterling but I'm only guessing.
I like your style :x

I'll see what anyone else can chip in, particularly if they have had any experience of similar scenarios, and make a call on the best approach. I wantr to be fair, but equally don't want to be made a fool of!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wouldn't hold out much hope for compensation, LR have an obligation to replace the box which they are doing and you haven't suffered financially as they have provided a loan car.

I would however tie them down to a time frame telling them if the works are not complete in 10 working days time you will reject the car and want a full refund, put this is writing to the dealer principal and copy in LR. I had an engine blow on an X Type Jag and it took them a couple of months to source a replacement, you don't want this to happen to you. I think 10 days is a reasonable time for the repair to be carried out.

As for guarantee they will say the new box will be covered for three years as is the rest of the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Discoloz said:
I wouldn't hold out much hope for compensation, LR have an obligation to replace the box which they are doing and you haven't suffered financially as they have provided a loan car.

I would however tie them down to a time frame telling them if the works are not complete in 10 working days time you will reject the car and want a full refund, put this is writing to the dealer principal and copy in LR. I had an engine blow on an X Type Jag and it took them a couple of months to source a replacement, you don't want this to happen to you. I think 10 days is a reasonable time for the repair to be carried out.

As for guarantee they will say the new box will be covered for three years as is the rest of the car.
Thanks Discoloz

The dealer has already got the gearbox and believe the work will be completed by the end of the week. One of my concerns is the potential future value of the car, presumably a new gear box will be listed on the new electronic service history and surely raise concerns with a potential buyer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You would need to double check that one with the dealer, certainly if a new engine was fitted paperwork would need altering such as the V5.

When you do come to sell I would doubt it would put off a buyer, in fact I doubt if 99% of buyers would even check this sort of information, thats assuming it was available to them. Going back to my Jag and the new engine I didn't have any problems when I came to sell it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Discoloz said:
You would need to double check that one with the dealer, certainly if a new engine was fitted paperwork would need altering such as the V5.

When you do come to sell I would doubt it would put off a buyer, in fact I doubt if 99% of buyers would even check this sort of information, thats assuming it was available to them. Going back to my Jag and the new engine I didn't have any problems when I came to sell it.
Thanks for your input, I'll add this into the mixing pot of thoughts and hopefully come out with a plan. I'll report back tot he forum the outcome of my experience.

·
Registered
426 Posts
J77 said:
Good Advice J77.

I am in the process of discussing the situation with amunns.

It certainly isn't a situation we would hope to have happen to any customer and are taking appropriate steps to resolve the concern for the customer. I am unable to comment further as this would be at the owner's discretion should he wish to share his experience.

Many thanks,
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.