Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As one can read in other threads, the DS has not been on the market for a month that 2 return campaigns seem to be going on already: one for an issue on the back seat, affecting over 16000 cars, and one for an issue on the bonnet touching the lamps, affecting over 1000 cars.

This is very worrying.

As a first time buyer of LR, I am more than concerned that my car is going to be but a nightmare. I started reading other LR owners reviews online and despite people only going online when they have a problem, the issues they report are frightening to say the least. The statistics compiled over different websites, including JD Reviews, also call for major concern. Only Fiat scores less than LR in terms of reliability, and this is in 2015. Over the past years, LR and Jaguar have always been the worst brands.

I had heard that the DS was based on the Evoque platform and that it did not give that many problems. Adding to that the fact that the DS engine isn't new and has proved quite reliable, I thought I was on the safe side. Now I am getting worried: if they mess up a simple electric release for the back seat or the alignment of the bonnet and the lamps, I cannot imagine how complex systems such as the new 4x4 transmission is going to stand the test of time...

Ok, getting to the point: I understand that some if not many of you already owned LR cars in the past. Could you tell us if you have had issues with your previous LR cars and what motivated your decision to buy again from LR - apart from the great characteristics and look of the DS?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a Freelander2 in 2007 about 6 months after the model was launched and had trouble free use for over 6 years of 20k miles per year. I had to fix a few things last year but its still going strong at 152k now.

I picked up my DS on Friday, after a couple of weeks delay. The car is great, better than I'd hoped and feels a very well put together car. I do expect there to be some glitches with a new model. I personally haven't tried the 3rd row access yet and I can't see an issue with the bonnet/lamps but maybe its subtle.

I remember buying a new Ford Mondeo back in 2001 which was a new model at the time, that had safety recalls twice, one which was the handbrake not being strong enough to hold the car on steep hills! So for now I'm not overly concerned on the DS but keeping an eye on this forum definitely helps.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't worry about it. This is a new design car, there will be teething issues. My previous car was a Porsche Macan, the first batch of these had minor issues, that were quickly resolved.

The longer into the build, the better they will be made.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two Freelanders one of which we kept 7 years. Only issues in that time have been a tailgate release button and the key fob not working. I have had German cars with more problems.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You are worrying over nothing, and the more you search the more you find.

The DS will be my 7th, I won't go past LR. Every car manufacturer has problems, look at the so called reliable japanese cars, they have had a few major issues the past couple of years. The DS has teething troubles, nothing more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you think the two issues with DS are something to worry about have a trawl round to check other manufacturers model forums....especially the alleged engineering masters from Germany they have the same issues with vehicles both new and old. A car is a complex machine and things can go wrong and sometimes engineers get caught out by tolerance stacks etc etc so issues occur, but to be worried about the DS issue of seat latch and lamp/hood contact is more than a little bit OTT, I have now owned 5 Landrover vehicles and not one has let me down in any way, I have simply looked after them how the manufacturer stipulates....i.e. service them in a timely manner in accordance with the book and kept them as clean as sensibly possible without being OCD about it....I have a stunning DS of which I am proud to own, I have no reason to doubt its reliability...remember the drivetrain is purely an evolution of the FL2 and as they say up north ' there's nowt wrong with that'... ;)

Sit back and relax :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with slider. This will be my 4th on the trot and can see absolutely no reason to change now. The landrover range are a brilliant group of vehicles and people should avoid getting over emotional about teething troubles. :lol:

·
Registered
562 Posts
My speaker rattles :-(

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's a dealer issue removing the transport tapes incorrectly IIRC :|

·
Registered
562 Posts
Transport tapes?

Do I really want them to remove my door card? :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.