Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a new member.

This is the first time I've bought a 4x4/SUV. I'm so excited - I've sadly read EVERY possible online review of the Disco (some more than once!).

I have placed my order, but am now considering adding a reduced section spare wheel. Please can someone explain this to me.

Without this option I assume there is no spare wheel at all, and therefore I'm in a severe problem in case of a puncture?

If I do get this reduced section spare wheel, will it impact upon my boot space, or my ability to use the back two seats?

Also, what is the tyre repair system?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Provided you do not have a factory fit tow bar the spare goes under the car and has no negative effects on the use inside.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Tyre repair system is a can of sealing foam, which IMHO does not always work, having said that that's what I am getting as I need a tow bar and I do not like the dealer fit bars due to a bussle that replaces the rear undersheild.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Basically if you ever want to tow don't go for the skinny spare (as you'll end up with a dealer fit tow bar that ruins the rear look of the car). If like me you have no intention of towing then I'd go for the skinny spare. £130 for something that will actually work is money well spent in my view.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thank you all

Yes, I'm never going to want / need to tow so I think I'll call my dealer tomorrow and add the spare tyre

·
Registered
23 Posts
But if you order a 5 seat version (which is available in some markets) you can have either a skinny or a full size spare wheel which drop into a well inside and you can have a towbar.
I live in France and have ordered 5 seats, skinny wheel and towbar. Delivery is expected during March.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yes it seems for some marketing reason in the UK we can only have the 7 seat which is annoying.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Chaps, bit of a random one... My car order is now locked and Stratstone are telling me I can't add a spare wheel to the build. The reason being that, apparently, to specify a spare wheel mounted beneath the boot requires the exhaust be routed differently than normal.

That sounds like a tall tale to me but I'd be happy to be told otherwise. So I wonder, does anyone know if this is true?

Secondly, if it is true, do any of you guys know of a way I can carry a spare wheel on a UK spec car without it going in the boot?

·
Registered
138 Posts
That means a conversion in the boot.

I don't need seven seats at all, they're nice to have but I don't need them at all. Has anyone undertaken a conversion in the boot using original parts to remove the seats and install a wheel well?

·
Registered
156 Posts
This was something I was going to consider doing until the HD towing pack was made available which gives you a full-size spare and a tow bar, but at the loss of the +2 seating (which I didn't need or want anyway).

I was wondering if it was possible to buy the internal parts to swap from the extra seats to having an internal spare wheel, but from previous posts I suspect your only option will be to buy the spare wheel from the parts department (not forgetting a jack and tool set) and keep it in the boot :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does anyone else find it completely ridiculous that a Land Rover should come without a bloody spare wheel?

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Petej2811 said:
Chaps, bit of a random one... My car order is now locked and Stratstone are telling me I can't add a spare wheel to the build. The reason being that, apparently, to specify a spare wheel mounted beneath the boot requires the exhaust be routed differently than normal.

That sounds like a tall tale to me but I'd be happy to be told otherwise. So I wonder, does anyone know if this is true?

Secondly, if it is true, do any of you guys know of a way I can carry a spare wheel on a UK spec car without it going in the boot?
Pete , this is correct, exhaust is re-routed and skinny spare was only available with fixed tow bar on early cars.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
This is the issue i had and still have, as I ordered the car before it was available to look at, I have 7 seats the back two seats i will never use, and no spare - well i have but it takes up room in the boot.

I have taken the third row out and as Phin suggested because of the different exhaust and the mountings on the boot floor you cannot get a full spare in there. I have some sizes somewhere which i will post up, you may get a skinny spare in there, i have a Freelander 2 spare which is actually a full size wheel and tyre plus a 5mm spacer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
To be honest, a space saver would do the trick. At least then a flat is not a catastrophic journey ending event.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The only reason i have a larger more std tyre is I do not fancy towing a caravan with a space saver on the back, so it saves times should i get a rear puncture in swapping wheels around.
Plus have you ever tried to drive at 50-60 on the motorway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You make a very fair point! But a space saver is better than a kick in the bathing suit area and as the car, for me, is intended to be a load lugger, I need the room in the boot.

Does tempt me severely to buy a 12-18 month old D4. If only they weren't so damned expensive!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
We've been here before Moose :0)
You can Buy a DS in the UK with a full size spare wheel and a neat tow bar. It's called the e-capability.
Only restriction is (or was when I bought mine for this very reason) Manual gearbox, one choice of wheels and 150 HP.
On the positive side you pay no tax for 12 months and then its only £110.
Personally I've driven both 150 and 180 and didn't notice any major difference.
But if you've ordered already this isn't much help to you is it?:0(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nooooope!!! :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.